1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought a new to me 5.5 redhawk. Great shape, clean as a whistle. Took it out today with proven loads that I shoot in my other 44s, a cast 310gr gas checked boolit over 9.3 gr of unique. This load turns in 2in groups out of my super redhawk and shoots like a dream, cases fall out when tipped upright.

When I say "sticky" what I mean is that I have to hold the pistol in one hand with the cylinder swung out, and supporting it, drive the ejector rod out with a firm push to get the cases out. The load feels normal, no surprises, not that stout to shoot, again, no surprises as I have run hundreds through my SRH with no issues. Absolutely no signs of overpressure, aside from difficult to extract cases, which I have always heard were a sign, but have never experienced.

This redhawk though just feels tighter than any of my other rugers, there is about zero gap between the cylinder face and the forcing cone, I can't even see daylight through there when holding it up to the light. The action is very crisp, no play whatsoever in the cylinder.

So, doing some reading (because I'm no revolver smith, so please correct me on some of the terms if need be). I think I need to polish the cylinders to remove tooling marks. Have any of you guys done this? Cheap vs easy way? Results? The cylinders definitely have marks in there to the point they look like they have threads or they're dirty even though they're clean as can be.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brownell's sells a revolver cylinder hone.
I saw that but was wondering about the end parts for the cases rim and mouth and I guess so long as I wasn't overzealous I wouldn't " taper, funnel" the ends of the cylinder, but these are the things I was wondering about and asked the question.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
...Took it out today with proven loads that I shoot in my other 44s, a cast 310gr gas checked boolit over 9.3 gr of unique...

Starting load is 6.5 gr. for that bullet and it shows 7.2 gr. as MAX. Where the Hell did you get 9.3 gr. from? :eek: You are overloaded and sticky extraction is a symptom. Don't shoot that load any more!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Handload.com, and others with an extensive search show that to be an accepted And widely used load. Where do you get your numbers from? Asking in all sincerity here.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I saw that but was wondering about the end parts for the cases rim and mouth and I guess so long as I wasn't overzealous I wouldn't " taper, funnel" the ends of the cylinder, but these are the things I was wondering about and asked the question.
Fear not: it's not a matter of you deforming the cylinder. Ruger revolvers, esp. those in larger cals like 44 and 45, are known to sometimes have chambers that aren't perfectly machined (usually a little under-sized). The Brownells hone will correct this by opening up the chambers ever so slightly.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I usually have to smack the ejector on my 629. The cases don't stick, but they usually don't drop free either.

IMO, Unique is not the right powder for hot loads. It burns too fast to push things to magnum velocity. 2400, IMR 7227, or HC110 are better choices. I use 6.5 grains of Unique for .45 ACP, and that's on the hot side.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Handload.com, and others with an extensive search show that to be an accepted And widely used load. Where do you get your numbers from? Asking in all sincerity here.
I don't load for .44Mag but I got interested in your thread and took a look around. Alliant's website doesn't list data that I could find for a 310 gr. bullet but Handloads.com claims Alliant as the source data for a 310gr LSWC (no GC notation) of 7.2gr Unique at 34,800 psi (SAAMI max 36,000 psi).

http://handloads.com/loaddata/defau...&Weight=310&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

Another source does list 310 gr LSWCGC and the same 7.2gr Unique with the same claimed 965 fps velocity...

www.reloadammo.com/44loads.htm

I did find reference to Hodgdon's Universal loads up to 10.0 gr behind a 325gr LFNGC bullet...

I didn't do an extensive search of the forums at handloads.com (just the data) but with the 7.2 gr data turning in a pressure of 34,800 I'm guessing that your listed 9.3 gr of Unique is over max SAAMI pressure by a fair bit.

As I said, I don't load for .44 Mag but if I did I don't think I'd be pushing that hard with Unique from what I've found.

Coincidentally 9.3gr of Unique is the max charge for a 220gr JHP in .41 mag and one that I've approached with caution, but 2400 and AA#9 work better for getting the most out of that bullet...

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
I suggest another alternative

Using a KLEEN-BORE Lead-Away (or other brand) cloth, cut a few small patches and chuck your rod into a drill.
Gently 'hone' the cylinders.

If no cloth, use UltraBrite toothpaste.

Afterwards, clean conventionally and thoroughly.

And then swith to HS6......;)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all the input. I think it's obvious that I need to re-evaluate that load data for the 310 with unique, that's for sure. A few of the replies got me in the right diction for polishing my chambers, I'll try something simple to polish them first before I get the cylinder hone from brownells. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
I (accidentally) did a 300g LFP in my Redhawk 44 Mag over 12.0g Universal.
Luckily, my friend had his large brass mallet with him.

Ruger service was great :dope:

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Just bought a new to me 5.5 redhawk. Great shape, clean as a whistle. Took it out today with proven loads that I shoot in my other 44s, a cast 310gr gas checked boolit over 9.3 gr of unique. This load turns in 2in groups out of my super redhawk and shoots like a dream, cases fall out when tipped upright.

When I say "sticky" what I mean is that I have to hold the pistol in one hand with the cylinder swung out, and supporting it, drive the ejector rod out with a firm push to get the cases out. The load feels normal, no surprises, not that stout to shoot, again, no surprises as I have run hundreds through my SRH with no issues. Absolutely no signs of overpressure, aside from difficult to extract cases, which I have always heard were a sign, but have never experienced.

This redhawk though just feels tighter than any of my other rugers, there is about zero gap between the cylinder face and the forcing cone, I can't even see daylight through there when holding it up to the light. The action is very crisp, no play whatsoever in the cylinder.

So, doing some reading (because I'm no revolver smith, so please correct me on some of the terms if need be). I think I need to polish the cylinders to remove tooling marks. Have any of you guys done this? Cheap vs easy way? Results? The cylinders definitely have marks in there to the point they look like they have threads or they're dirty even though they're clean as can be.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Extract a fired round one at a time, See if one chamber is much more difficult to extract. I bought my S number mod 29 and had a crack . It was very hard to see . If someone cracks a Ruger heaven help the poor guy who shot such round from a Smith.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts