1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Wilson mag catch that is smooth as silk in the channel, but sticks and binds when i engage the lock. I cant find any debris in the frame, and there are no burrs on the part itself. Since it slides smoothly without any tension on the spring, would I be wise to nip a coil or two off the spring and stretch it to reduce its power?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sounds like you need to work on the interior of the magazine catch itself to resolve your issue. I use a small ream to clean up the interior of the catch where the lock and the spring reside. After I use the ream I have a small shaped polishing stick that I turn under power to put a nice polish on the interior and that will make the operation of the magazine catch nice and smooth. I would not cut the spring, they make reduced power springs for the catch if you want a weaker one. Try cleaning up the interior of the catch, polish the small long tip on the catch lock and see if that does not resolve your issue. You seem quite confident that there is nothing on the outside of the catch or on the inside of the frame causing you grief so that only leaves one other area.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
...also make sure it's not the end coil on the spring, sometimes the sharp end(of the coil) can drag on the 'lock shaft'.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Hi, Jeff C.,

If the spring drags, make sure it is in the right way. That spring has (or should have) one end pinched so it stays with the lock when the latter is removed. The pinched end goes toward the head of the lock.

Jim

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Hey thanks Jim!

I didn't know mag catch springs were done the same as recoil and firing pin springs.

Never noticed that :eek: .

Jeff

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Hi, Jeff,

I will only say that they are supposed to be. That was all in line with the idea of field disassembly without losing too many bits and pieces, but most makers have dropped it in the interest of cutting costs. Another area the same way is the recoil spring plug, which was made so the recoil spring could be screwed into it, keeping the spring guide, spring and plug together, but most clones have dropped that as a cost-cutting measure. (And they sell a lot of plugs!)

When I have a catch lock out, if the spring is not pinched, I will do so. Never hurts.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts