1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a tac-four today. It is extreamly hard to realese the slide with the mag inserted.The slide stop almost seems stuck.Remove the mag and it works.The sales rep said this was normal and that it needed to break in.What gets me is that the rep seemed puzzled by the stiff slide stop and even walked to the back room.Have any of you had the same problem with para?My glock,beretta,and other past guns have not been this stiff. Or is this really normal like the sales rep said? :confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you can release the slide using the slide stop W/O a mag but not when the mag is in the gun it usually means the follower is either not moving down freely or more likely the part of the slide stop projecting into the gun that is lifted by the follower is slipping past the shelf on the follower and jamming against the side of the follower.

Take the mag and look at the follower just below the shelf that is supposed to lift the slide stop. If the side of the follower in that area shows scratch marks this is what is happening.

The cure is to replace the follower with a new one that is in spec.

If new well molded followers don't work an extreme cure is to get a .38 Super slide stop the projects further into the gun. It will hit the .45 bullet noses at first so you must dress it down slowly so that it clears the bullet noses but still projects in to the gun far enough to be picked up by the follower.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The inside of the follower is scratched.I will contact para mon.By the way their web site is up again. Thank you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If there were no rounds in the magazine, then your experience does not surprise me. Without at least one round in the magazine, the proper procedure for dropping the slide by depressing the slide-stop requires you to first remove the mag. You'll have different results depending on whether or not there are rounds in the mag. I believe that's the procedure described in the manual. Don't forget these double column magazines require substantial mag spring pressure to relaibly feed each and every round, up to and including the very last one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mag had 5 snap caps in them. I contacted para today. Tech sup said to fire the gun 300-400 rounds.That para guns are built tight and that break in was needed. He also said that if after the 400 rounds if the problem was still their to call them.Im going to the range on sat. Ill post the results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts