1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range today and shot 50 rounds through my BHP40 and I was being bitten. I don't think it's the hammer, I think it might be the slide. Whatever the cause, after the first magazine, I put a glove on. I replaced the hammer, that shouldn't still be happening. Maybe my hands are just that fat.

After adding a second pic (older grips) I am seeing the hammer comes lower than I thought. Maybe it is the hammer.

I also had a weird issue with the trigger reset. A few times, I had to remove my finger from the trigger to get a reset. I am fine with the accuracy and controls. There seems to be a lot of flip. The recoil is fine - much easier than the 45 from the 3" gun and much much lighter than the 10mm (that is really felt).
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
That's nice, I always wanted one in forty but adjustable sights to go with my 9 but the ones I've seen are FN's.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I used a Cylinder & Slide hammer that has a thinner profile. That style has never put the bite on my hand. I don’t think the hammer illustrated above is cut back enough to prevent it nipping your hand. …

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Had the same problem with my 40 BHP Practical. It bit and hard with each shot. All my other BHP didn’t. Solved the problem by installing a C&S No-Bite hammer. Looks good and doesn’t bite.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have used both the Type 2 hammer from C&S (which is on your gun) and their "No Bite" Commander hammer successful to fix hammer bite. I have fat hands and a high grip so can't ever use the OEM Ring hammer unfortunately. But I do sometimes get irritated on my thumb from the rearward motion of back of the safety. But that is only after a 300 round or 400 round day.

I have the exact same hammer on my .40 BHP and no issues. Could the safety be what is hitting your hand ?

Scott

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had the same hammer on one of my HP and was bleeding in one mag. I had it switched out to a C&S no bite hammer and no more hammer bite. I also learned to keep my shooting hand thumb in a fist position which helped a lot.

·
Registered
259 Posts
With a spur hammer, it's a simple matter to bob off about a quarter-inch off the spur and reshape it to the point it quits biting. You can also do the same thing with the ring hammer by cutting off the bottom of the ring, as has been done by Garthwaite, Behlert and others no doubt (I did it to a FEG before I ever heard of those guys, but great ideas aren't limited to just one person). I was just a kid working a rather poor-paying job, and had to make do with my own resources (and this was before Bill Laughridge was making his offerings available). Granted that the C&S hammer is excellent, but if money is tight and you have no qualms about modifying your pistol, it can be done with just a cutting wheel on a Dremel and the price is right.
I was less worried about the parts' appearance and just wanted them to quit biting me. It worked.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I went to the range today and shot 50 rounds through my BHP40 and I was being bitten
- Your grip may be too high. The High Power points better for me when I use a lower grip, keeping the web of my hand out of the way of the hammer and the slide.

I also had a weird issue with the trigger reset. A few times, I had to remove my finger from the trigger to get a reset.
- If you haven't made any changes to the pistol, maybe spend some extra time cleaning/inspecting the trigger lever and sear lever areas where they interface? I have an FN Alloy High Power which had an intermittent reset issue when I began using an FM Detective Slide kit with it. About 20% of the time I had to gently jiggle the trigger to encourage reset. This was fixed by shortening the trigger lever just a bit, improving the relationship between the trigger lever and sear lever. I let an expert figure this one out for me...

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
A piece of 1in wide heavy-duty waterproof first-aid or duct tape over the web of yer hand helps. I can't bring myself to change the hammer or grip safety on my pre-70 GCNM's , but still shoot them. It works.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I went to the range today and shot 50 rounds through my BHP40 and I was being bitten. I don't think it's the hammer, I think it might be the slide. Whatever the cause, after the first magazine, I put a glove on. I replaced the hammer, that shouldn't still be happening. Maybe my hands are just that fat.

After adding a second pic (older grips) I am seeing the hammer comes lower than I thought. Maybe it is the hammer.

I also had a weird issue with the trigger reset. A few times, I had to remove my finger from the trigger to get a reset. I am fine with the accuracy and controls. There seems to be a lot of flip. The recoil is fine - much easier than the 45 from the 3" gun and much much lighter than the 10mm (that is really felt).
View attachment 623063
View attachment 623064
It would certainly bite me!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
FWIW, I've owned a number of Hi Powers since the '60s, including a .40. I have used the factory rowel and spur hammers, a C&S, and modified factory rowel and spur hammers. Much as I continue to like the Hi Powers, they all bite me. I long ago started using a Band Aid on the web of my shooting hand, or gloves sometimes in Winter. The Hi Power doesn't bite me quite as badly as the Swiss P210, but if I don't take the precautions I mentioned, there will still be bloodshed. Best of luck solving the issue with your Hi Power...

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have a permanent scar in the web of my thumb from my BHP. I have tried different hammers, and modifying a stock hammer, to no avail. For some people you're going to get bit no matter what. Eventually I got sick of it and silver soldered a piece of a 1911 grip safety onto the frame. Where there's a will there's a way!

Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel
White Light Air gun Black Green

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I went to the range today and shot 50 rounds through my BHP40 and I was being bitten.
I think the hammer bite thing is from people having flashbacks to Little League when the coach told you to "choke up" on the bat.

Grip 1/4 inch lower on your BHP and you will not have a problem. When I was in Boot Camp we had familiarization with the 1911A1 pistol and 50% had bloody hands.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
Personally, I think there is something inherently wrong w/ his BHP and should immediately sell it to me. My .40cal Gunsite/BHP needs a sibling.

• Haha
Reactions: TXGR

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I think alla'youse fat-handed BHP owners should just send me yer ill-mannered pistola's.. I am sure I can make them work ;-)
Reckon folks back then were generally of smaller stature. Don't know what the "average" size was, but it seems folks had a lesser diet and worked harder/longer. Especially during the Depression. Military uniforms I've seen from this era seemed small. The standard grips on revolvers (S&W K/N frame) were definitely designed for smaller hands.

Reactions: TXGR

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, after I posted that, I was knocked down by a wicked case of food poisoning or GI bug. I barely recovered in time to drive back to Texas.

When I first bought the two BHPs in 40 (~2005), I was bit hard. I took a dremel to the tip of the hammer spur, then I used cold blue on the cut. I was still bit. I took them to a well respected pistolsmith with a lot of BHP experience. I don't recall if I had him buy the hammers or if I bought them from C&S and asked him to install them. I had him remove the magazine disconnect hazard device, work over the triggers, and replace the sites with Novaks. By then, I was already working overseas. I didn't really have a chance to use them much for the next year, and that turned into a decade, and here we are.

I had looked at a beavertail extension (C&S sells them), but I didn't like how it changed the look of the BHP. I am not sure why I didn't buy the C&S no-bite hammer, but I wish I did. I think that will be the solution I go with (or try next). The beavertail extension is a last resort for me (rebluing, etc.).

The glove eliminated the issue, but I lost tactile feel. That could be the real cause of the reset issue, I just can't feel it. I will go back to the range a couple of times this week, I hope, and I might just try a bandaid to further investigate the reset issue.

As for my hold, I did try holding lower, but it doesn't feel right. Also, I am thinking back to my training, videos I've seen from professional trainers I trust, and everything I've been told was to get my grip high to better counteract muzzle flip and better manage recoil.

I don't have any issues with 1911s. I don't think changing my grip is how I want to handle this. A major reason I want the BHP as an option in my carry rotation is because the manual of arms is identical with everything else I carry.

Thanks again for all the ideas and contributions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts