1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted awhile back about my Tac-Four and got some good feedback. I've only been able to get to the range with it twice since then but thought I'd post an update.
The feeding/jamming problems seem to have increased. I rarely get through a full mag without some problems. The problems seem to vary from rounds nosediving into the bottom of the ramp, jamming against the top of the chamber and live rounds stovepiping and jamming into the top of the ejector port. I also am having problems with the slide not locking after the last round.

Believing the problems to be due in part to limp-wristing I have concentrated on maintaining a firm and consistent grip and controlling the recoil as much as possible. No luck. I'm not a huge guy but I believe my grip is pretty strong. I've been shooting 9mm +P's, .357sig and .357 mag (revolver) for years. Many years of twisting wrenches and screwdrivers in construction should also help (though I drive a computer instead of nails these days).

I have tried several different brands of ammo including: Winchester 230 gr. FMJ, Sellier & Bellot 230 gr. FMJ, Blazer 230 gr. FMJ, Speer Gold Dot 200 gr. +P HP, Winchester 230 gr. JHP.
None of them seem to perform any better than the other although the Speer seemed to stovepipe more than the others.

I do keep it clean and well, but not overly, lubed. I have tried polishing the feed ramp but my little container of compound was kind of dried out. Got some more and will try again.

In an earlier post I mistakenly reported I was shooting low and left but actually it is low and right. No change there.

So far I only have about 400 rounds through it.

I still love the gun and am dedicated to working out the bugs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Stronger/weaker recoil spring? Stronger/weaker mag spring? Hand/wrist exercise?

I humbly request and await the wisdom of your all's experience!

Thanks!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Have you tried a different (or several different) mags?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have six of the 13 rd. Para mags. I have thought about trying another brand. I have Wilson Combat's catalogue but don't see anything in there that looks like it will work (only see 7,8 & 10 rd). I've heard of some other brands but am not sure which is best or which of theirs will fit in the Tac-Four.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Assuming you're holding the pistol securely (elbows locked and not anticipating the recoil) check the lubrication.

What are you lubricating this pistol with? If it's not Militec-1 strip the pistol as far as you can and clean all the old lube off with naptha and lubricate the pistol sparingly with Militec-1.

Grease and other heavy lubricants will slow the slide enough to cause this to happen.

Militec-1 is a lube, not a preservative like CLP but has no dirty run off into your holster or shirt.

If you're using Militec-1 have someone else shoot the pistol using as firm as stance as they can.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been using TetraGun Grease on the barrel lugs (incorrect term?) and a lighter oil on the slide tracks (RemOil
or CLP). A 'smith at Para recommended the Tetra via email. Where is a good place to find Miltec-1?
Good advice on getting someone else to try it out. I've considered it but have to say it's a little embarrassing! Guess I'll just have to swallow my pride and see what happens.
Thanks!

·
Banned
277 Posts
If you are using different Para double stack mags and having the same problem with ALL of them, then you need look no further. Don't waste your money on other brands to reproduce the same problem.

#1. Be sure the mag springs are in good working order (for well used mags) and that they are broken in (for brand new mags)

#2. Be sure your feed ramp is nicely polished.

For the slide lock failure:

- You will want to consciously recreate the problem over & over with your different magazines.

- Load magazines with 3-4 rounds and fire complete strings with these rounds.

- You should have consistent failures with all magazines used. Do this over and over with each mag.

If your failures are inconsistent then the problem could be your shooting style and/or 2-3 problem mags, perhaps something else. (so keep track of all mags you are testing)

If you have consistent failures with ALL mags I would consider the following:

1. Slide stop may be out of spec. A simple replacement from Para may solve all your woes in this department.

2. Recoil spring: As new as your weapon is, I have my doubts, but this is a cheap and quick variable you can eliminate.

3. Magazines: see above regarding springs.

I caution you to do all you can to see where the problem is yourself before sending the pistol in for work. Para is excellent for turnaround & cust service, but if you aren't very specific/helpful with diagnosis you can expect to send the pistol in twice. HTH.

EDIT: some People favor their specific brands but Tetra & Mil will both work for your application. I suspect that lubrication is not the issue here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys.
I'm going to try to get a friend of mine out to the range this weekend to see how he fares with it. I'll polish the feed ramp before I go. I think I'll also be more sparing with the Tetra. I won't be able to get a hold of Miltec-1 before then.
As for the mags, I made an interesting discovery while inspecting them this evening. The two mags that came with the gun seem to have stronger springs than the four I got later. I noticed a slight difference while just depressing them with my fingers so I did some manual ejections with snap caps. The originals locked the slide while none of the newer ones did. So.... I took them apart and lo and behold the springs are different. The originals have a bit of a twist to them when released from the mag but the others stay straight. I also noticed that the originals have squarish loops at the base but then change to more rounded loops on up to the follower. The new ones are squarish all the way up. I think I found the problem. Now I just have to figure out how to go about getting the proper springs.
Thanks again! I'll keep you posted.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Clean the grease out of it and at least shoot it with CLP as the lube. If it works you'll know it was the grease.

You can change from CLP (which works just fine but weeps dirty oil) to Militec-1 anytime. Milspec CLP is better becuse its also a preservative, but I use Militec-1 on several pistols which can get more attention.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
881 Posts
I had all the jamming problems you had when i got my paras out storage after 8 years. Weak mag springs was the problem. I ordered wolf springs for them. I recommend loading them full up after you put the wolf springs in and letting them set a day or so before you go to the range. Seems to "set" them in and the mag works a little smoother. Of course loading and shooting would do the same thing, just takes longer that way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
MrChicken said:
I had all the jamming problems you had when i got my paras out storage after 8 years. Weak mag springs was the problem. I ordered wolf springs for them. I recommend loading them full up after you put the wolf springs in and letting them set a day or so before you go to the range. Seems to "set" them in and the mag works a little smoother. Of course loading and shooting would do the same thing, just takes longer that way.
I too find most feeding problems with para's seem to stem from the magazine springs. I would try a wolffs +10%spring on one of your mags and see if that helps. Also are these 10rnd mags or 13. I have had more problems with ten rounders all my para mags are now hicaps.

I hope you find this helpful.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't able to get out to the range today so I'll be itchin' this week waiting for next weekend!
Thanks for the advice on the springs. I'll get some Wolff springs on order. I may also try the FP-10 lubricant I've been reading about on this site. I can't wait to get back out to the range since I'm convinced the weak springs in the newer mags and my over zealous use of grease are the cause of at least some of my problems. It's a character flaw of mine that if a little of something is good then a whole bunch of it must be really, really good!!!

Shadetree - my mags are 13 rounders. 13+1 rounds of Felon Repellant, Man ya gotta love that!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I had a misfeed yesterday with a pistol that I've had zero problems with in over 1200 rounds. This was the first time I tried lubing the pistol with Tetra grease. I may still use the grease for the barrel lugs, but that's the only place I will use it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should have orginally titled this thread "Tac-Four still having problems with new owner"!
I finally was able to get to the range today and am pleased to report that the gun functioned quite well. The very few problems I had were most likely due to my frozen hands and limp-wristing. I got out to the mountaintop range just after sunrise and the temperature was about 4 degrees.

- Of 100 rounds of S&B 230gr. FMJ., only three jambed against the top of the chamber.
- Of about 70 rounds of Gold Dot 200gr. +P JHP, I had three stovepipes. Another shooter who showed up fired one magazine and the last round jammed against the top of the chamber. For myself, the +P might be a little too hot until I learn to control the recoil better.
-The slide locked properly after the last round EVERY time.
-Absolutely no nosedives into the feedramp.

Still a few hiccups, but all in all a vast improvement. Thanks to the advice of all of you I did the following prior to this trip to the range.

1. Polished the feed ramp, although it was already fairly smooth.
2. Replaced the springs on the four newer mags with Wolff +10%.
3. Cleaned out all the Tetra grease and lubed with FP-10.

The jambs and stovepipes are probably related as the jambs were the lower recoil S&B and just didn't make it all the way back to the stovepipe position. Limp wristing I think. Might a stronger recoil spring help?

Many thanks to everyone for your input!
Brian

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
It sounds like you're still having mag related problems. I took my Tac-Four to the range lubed only with CLP and had a great time. I only had feeding problems with my 'new' pre-ban mags. The new 10-round Mec-Gars were easier to load than the 10-round Paras that came with the pistol. They operated flawlessly. When I broke down the Para mags, I discovered that the spring used in the 10-round mags had exactly the same spring as the 13-rounders (what's wrong with this picture?). I'll be ordering some Wolff springs for the 'new' pre-bans.

Anybody know why the finish of the Para mags looks like crap? Even the followers and floor-plates say "cheap". The Mec-Gar mags are polished and nicely blued. I hope the AWB goes away so I could someday have the option of getting some 13-round Mec-Gar mags.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts