1911Forum banner

Still tryin' to decide

990 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Broom Rider
First of all I want to say thanks to everyone here at forum for all the helpful and entertaining dicussions. I have little to give back but have really enjoyed reading in this forum. I have been looking to purchase my first 1911 for several months now, and can't seem to make up my mind. I have seen and held several that I liked. Waiting to pick one up, look at it, and say "yep- this is deffently the one." Then and there I will make my first 1911 purchase. I am getting my carry permit but this "first purchase" will not be for that purpose. I want a sweet shooting range and target gun, not a compact. So my question is about the 6" long barrel 1911. I saw one on either the colt or springfield website. What is the deal with these? Any feedback would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks LRG
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,944 Posts
The longslides have more felt recoil and "muzzle whip" (esp. w/with full-power loads) due to the inertia of the increased mass of the slide. My advice is to stick with the 5" barrel, since you can shoot it in all of the disciplines (IPSC or IDPA) and still carry it concealed fairly easily.

· Registered
180 Posts
Got One

I shoot a SA Longslide every weekend. It is a tack driver and has significantly less recoil that the standard models. Sights are adjustable, highly visable, and excellent for bullseye shooting. And ---- it looks very cool !

You need one,
FL Panhandle

· Registered
109 Posts
A long slide is a nice gun but will limit you in any kind of action shooting. With the 5" you are limitless in your choices of target/range shooting. (And take a close look at the S&W 1911 DK model)

· Registered
2,235 Posts
My experiences shooting a long slide felt like less recoil to me. More like riding in a big-ole-long cadillac compared to a chevy chevette. It seemed like the recoil was more of a rolling motion.

Going with a long slide may not be the best choice if you want to play in IDPA or USPSA - but it's fun. The standard 5" model is a good balance - and there are plenty of accurate models to choose from.

The long slide seemed to be the choice of the Terminator, so it has somewhat of a coool factor.

· Registered
536 Posts
I hope to order a 6" Les Baer P2 one of these days to go along with my 5". Should be a nice gun and fun to shoot as well as probably being the only one at the range on most days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.