1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm considering the Stinger. Dealer actually recommended it as a good alternative to a Kimber Pro SIS and other 4" 1911s I was interested in. He didn't have one in stock, so I couldn't do a hands on. Can anyone tell me the overall height? Can an 8 round aftermarket mag fit without much of a gap? Also, does anyone have a pic of the standard sights? Are they 3 dot tritium with white outlines? I've seen some 1911s with minuscule 3 dot tritiums, that were hard to see with my aging eyes.

Also, what are the differences between the Stinger and the Custom Carry Commanche, Concept VII,VIII besides the shorter officers frame of the Stinger.

Thanks for your time

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
Hi,

I'm considering the Stinger. Dealer actually recommended it as a good alternative to a Kimber Pro SIS and other 4" 1911s I was interested in. He didn't have one in stock, so I couldn't do a hands on. Can anyone tell me the overall height? Can an 8 round aftermarket mag fit without much of a gap? Also, does anyone have a pic of the standard sights? Are they 3 dot tritium with white outlines? I've seen some 1911s with minuscule 3 dot tritiums, that were hard to see with my aging eyes.

Also, what are the differences between the Stinger and the Custom Carry Commanche, Concept VII,VIII besides the shorter officers frame of the Stinger.

Thanks for your time
First off, if you get serious, call John at Proload as he usually has some if not a bunch for sale and his price will be difficult to beat. You pretty much have it down as to the difference. Commanche top with Officers bottom. There will be a gap with 8 rounders especially if there is a pad on the mag bottom and without one it will still stick out maybe .5 inch? I would use 7 round officers mags with a flush plate for CC. A great concealed-carry blaster. I've had 3 and sold them as I like full size frames but that is just me............................TW

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't SLINGSHOT a Commanche?

Thanks, I've been doing some research and came across issues with the Commanches not allowing the gun to be chambered with the slingshot method. They say that the Commanche was never built to Commander specs and therefore doesn't allow it to be pulled back enough to be slingshot. This could be a deal breaker for me since this is how I've been trained to chamber a round for over fifteen years (Glocks). I don't think I could ever get used to using the slide lock. I need to do a LEO qualification every year. Does anyone have any insight on this?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I have a Stinger and have not had any problem in using the slingshot method. If you're one of those shock buffer guys, all bets are off.

I have seen the extended 8 round mags in an officer grip frame and there is a noticeable gap. My sights are standard 3 dot tritium.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
Sights are just black. No tritium, no white oulines etc....

My Stinger will slingshot all day long.

In this pic mine has the std 7 round mag that came with the gun.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
RetLawman,

Les doesn't cut back the guide rod head abutment in the Commander length pistols. He leaves it the same length as a Gov't frame and in many of them, it prevents the slide from having enough travel to slingshot it.

This pic by Ted Yost was posted a week or two ago. You can see the difference in length between a Gov't and Commander frame of the abutment.

If it is a problem with your pistol, it is not a big deal to get it cut back by a qualified smith. It has been done many times.

·
Registered
668 Posts
There was a thread regarding Stinger slingshotting a while back. Mine wouldn't slingshot. Just slightly bevel the slidestop corner--hardly breaking through the bluing. It worked. Mine now slingshots fine and the slidestop doesn't look altered.

I like the Wilson 7 round mags. They work fine.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If you're one of those shock buffer guys, all bets are off.
What do you mean by "shock buffer"? Thanks

EDIT: OK, I just read up on Wilson's shock buffer recoil system. That's something I would never use.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was a thread regarding Stinger slingshotting a while back. Mine wouldn't slingshot. Just slightly bevel the slidestop corner--hardly breaking through the bluing. It worked. Mine now slingshots fine and the slidestop doesn't look altered.

I like the Wilson 7 round mags. They work fine.
Thanks, that's good to here.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stinger sights and dimensions?

Hi,

I emailed Les Baer and spoke to Sue, she stated the Stinger does not come with night sights, but its an option for $85.

Anyone know of the dimensions? Sue said it has a height of 4", but that can't be from the top of the slide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts