1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am more than satisfied with my recently aquired Stinger. It does everything I expected from an LB. My only concern is the sights. It is factory equipped with tritium night sights which look to be Novaks. The rear sights are fine but I continually have trouble aquiring the front which appears smaller than the rear dots. In addition, firing of as little as 50 rounds all but obliterates the dot making it next to impossible to sight on anything dark. I spoke with Les about it but his remedy (alcohol on a Q tip) has not solved the problem. I admit that my aging eyes are not what they used to be but it's difficult to use the front sight when you can't see it. Has anybody out there encountered the same problem and devised a solution? If I had my druthers I would replace it with a large tritium gold bead. Is such a thing available?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You might check with Novak's about a gold bead front sight. They used to offer it as an option, and I've used them a good bit. I like a gold bead the way they've done mine. The gold insert is cut flat, so it catches light very easily.
Allan

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
FWIW;
In view of their intended purpose, an aid in low light defensive shooting, the tritium front sight will be (theoretically) needed for 2/3/4 rds. max.
Not seeing the front after 50 rds. while practicing is a PITA.
Perhaps less of an issue used in the scenario for which they were designed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
orutra, I just recieved my new SRP & found the same thing. Called Les, same answer. Seems to me that the front dot should be larger than the rear two but that's just me.
Not sure what the fix is....let me know what you're thoughts are. The gold (brass) bead works well....had it installed on a S&W M27 once & liked it.
7d

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gentlemen....thanks for the responses so far

7 Down
Glad to see somebody else has the same observation on the front sight. I thought maybe I was losing it.
I sent a missive to Novak re' our problem and will post as soon as I hear back. In the meantime we can hope that there is somebody out there that has a viable solution
O

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Not trying to be a wiseacre...but you might try cleaner shooting ammo.
I have not had this problem with my Stinger...Even shooting 1000 rounds before a wipe down. Heck...for that matter...6500 rounds and I havent had to clean my front sight.

·
Registered
177 Posts
ridgerunner, I don't think it's a matter of clean/dirty ammo. Once my front sight is all cleaned, it's still distinctively smaller, less bright (5" barrel). I looked at Novak's websight & they have alternate front sights. Will probably go that route.
7d

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ridgerunner
Usin factory hardball but will be reloading in the near future. At the risk of diluting this thread, what powder are you using to burn so clean?
O

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
orutra said:
Ridgerunner
Usin factory hardball but will be reloading in the near future. At the risk of diluting this thread, what powder are you using to burn so clean?
O
Mostly WWB...

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Les' front sights are noticeably thinner than a lot of other folks(which I like). I'm not sure he could get a larger Tritium insert in one without compromising the integrity of the sight.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I replaced the faux Novaks that came on my Baers with Yost Bonitz Professional Grade sights. My front sights not only have a tritium dot of good size, but a white outline around it that makes it really quick to acquire. After a day's training, a quick squirt of SLIP's cleaning solution on the outline gets the powder residue right off it, and we're back in business.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not trying to steal this thread and being a relative novice to LB and customizing a 1911 or any hand gun for that matter. What does it take to change the sights.

Is there a manufacturer that has a "drop in" sight for the a TRS. I like the looks of the Heine Straight Eight sights. Is there smithing that will create a problem with my LB warranty involved?

Ric

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bulldog Six
Thank you for your input. Y-B sounds as if it will fit the bill. I E mailed them last week but have not yet received an answer. Do you have a contact # for them?
Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
These sights are no longer being produced. Run a search and you will find a post from Ted Yost about it. I was able to get them from Brownells and are installing them on my concept VII.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wasn't happy with the nightsights in my Stinger either, so I sent it and my Concept V to these guys:

http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/

Great service and fast turnaround. The replaced the Baer vials with larger vials with white outlines. They will pretty much do whatever combination you want.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I wasn't happy with the nightsights in my Stinger either, so I sent it and my Concept V to these guys:

http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/

Great service and fast turnaround. The replaced the Baer vials with larger vials with white outlines. They will pretty much do whatever combination you want.

Chuck
Okay, you've got ME interested. Can you post a pic of your sights?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here's another DIY option.

I used Testors "Model Master" custom enamel system, 28913 Fluoresent Red-Orange (SG) paint. This is the "Airplane Dope version which is resistant to model airplane fuel. The regular testors Model enamel won't last very long.

I got the idea from a full sized Springfield that I mounted adjustable Painted Millet target sights on. The front blade is the same Red-Orange fluoresent color as this testors paint.

Even with my bad eyes (Reading glasses) I can find the front sight plus this way I keep the Tritium for night use which I can still see very well without reading glasses.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts