1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped my Kimber (for reliability issue amongst many other things) and am now thinking about a Baer Stinger. Anyone with out there that would fill me in, reliability? (my primary concern), accuracy?(is it included in the 3" guaranteed at 50 yards?) Any other comments?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a stinger. Bought it at Daves Guns in Aurora.

I like it a lot. Mine does 3 at 50 for sure.
It carries very well. I don't like the ambi-safety. Thats just a personal bias.

Trigger is crisp, gun is tight, everything seems OK. The sights are a Novak style and the picture is crisp.

I do have one problem with it. Every once in a while, I get a very particular type of jam. The case is caught between the slide and barrel backwards. Haven't pinned down the problem yet, but I'll get there. I have about 750 rounds through the gun now. It really is the best size for CCW in my book.

------------------
If it flies it dies, If it runs it's done.

[This message has been edited by Peter Zahn (edited 04-10-2001).]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oh yea, I almost forgot.

My primer strikes are a bit high from center. The primer hole is also a bit deformed. It doesn't look like what you would expect. I have a feeling this is contributing to my ejection problem.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Peter Zahn (edited 04-10-2001).]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input Peter, how much did you pay for yours, and since I noticed you live in CO, know any good 1911 gunsmith?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I paid 1520.00 for it.

You might try Iky Starks at Sports West for 45 work. He's on south Broadway near Englewood.

I pretty much do my own work, but have heard good things about Sports West.

There is another good smith in Grand Junction, but I cant recall his name.

------------------

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A stinger compared to a Wilson 4" CBQ? any comments? Is the wilson worth the extra $300? I am looking for reliability....

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have a new Stinger that I have only put about a hundred rounds through so far. It is a great gun. You will like it.

------------------
Get your 1911s and AR15s while you still can!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any .45 can come from the factory with minor problems. Wilsons are no exception. I would not hesitate to buy another Stinger, even though mine has a minor problem. Fit and finish on my gun is incredible. Good smiths don't usually charge 300 for a basic reliability job if you need it. More like 200. And there is no guarantee with a Wilson that is any better than a Baer. They will both fix for free if you have a problem.

I think the CQB has that Armour finish on it. Not my bag. Lets see, 1800 something for a MIM economy hammer and sear? Not for me either.

------------------

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Mine is just like P Zahn's - high primer strikes and occasional reversed empty in the chamber. Never had another gun do that.

Mine is an older one with an MMC site, which I really like.

I replaced the recoil spring and haven't had another reverse malfunction in 200 rounds or so. Planning to shoot some more tonight so I'll report in.

Paid about 1275 for mine years ago.

·
Registered
62 Posts
JiminCA,

What spring weight did you replace with? 200 since a reverse failure sounds like you whipped the problem.

If you have luck tonight I think I'll give that a shot too.

------------------

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I got a spring from Baer directly, and it made it better but doesn't solve it. My original spring was a "straight" spring, and the new one is variable. I had run about 2K rounds with the old spring so I figured it was "due".

Results from last night: The problem is most acute with lighter, heavily loaded bullets. Never happens with 230 ball, never with lightly loaded 200 swc, occasionally with 185 Golden Sabre, and every other mag with 185 +P Golden Sabre.

Also my recoil spring guide is getting pounded pretty good by the stout 185's. Finally the stout light loads eject vertical to forward rather than back.

Also exhibits the problem with 185 CorBon.

In addition to the reversed empties I got a couple of misfeeds combined with an empty jammed in there. I think the misfeed was caused by the empty still being in the ejection port area.

All that leads me to believe that a heavier recoil spring will solve the problem. Timing is being honked up by the high velocity loads combined with a short slide.

Jim at Baer any comments? I have to do some experimenting to get this right as it is my CCW piece. But right now I think a stronger spring is required. I just need a starting point. I'll call Baer on the phone too.

[This message has been edited by JiminCA (edited 04-13-2001).]

·
Registered
62 Posts
My jams happen with ball too as thats what I mostly practise with.

Maybe a 22 lb recoil spring will help. I haven't given up on the idea of trying a shok-buff as well if it will be reliable.

------------------

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Called Baer: The springs they sent me are 24 lb. The lady said that there is some ammo that Les does not recommend. I asked her to find out what it was and get back to me. I think she was on her way out the door (on Good Friday) so maybe I'll know something next week. In the meantime I bought some 230 gr Golden Sabres.

She was trying to get me to send the entire gun in for a checkup but I don't want to do that until I can turn the problem on and off. Then we'll be able to solve it.

Also talked to a smith that I trust and he confirmed that it is a timing problem caused by the high velocities.

Will post results as soon as I know.

PZ: To solve your problem with ball I'd put in a new spring as a starter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
thanks for the info. I'm not sending mine back either. Can't be that hard to fix.

------------------

·
Registered
737 Posts
My Stinger is quite new. Have been using 230gr ball. Saturday I tried 200gr LSWC target loads. Had the reversed case glitch two times out of 50 shots. Odd. Really odd. Please post what you find out. Watch-Six

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well I did a little bit of dimensional checking on my Stinger last night.

I was particularly interested in finding out why my primer strikes were so far off center in the vertical direction. The bottom of my firing pin indentation is right at the center of the primer so it's pretty far off. The strike is high of center.

My Stinger has what appears to be a Kart easy fit barrel with the little raised pads in the rear barrel lug recess. These lugs appear to untouched insofar as fitting is concerned. I have approximately .040" engagement for the rear vertical lockup lugs. I'm fairly sure if the lug were fitted for a more engagment my primer strikes would be better centered. This is however not possible now since the lower lugs are already cut.

I have a question for our moderator since he is intimately knowledgable in this weapon. Is this an acceptable fit by Les Baer standards, and is the high primer strike of no consequence? I'm also wondering what if anything Les Baer does to remedy the problem with the reverse case jams. It seems highly unlikely that you are unaware of this as 3 people here alone have the same problem.

I anxiously await your reply.

------------------

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
OK guys, I can turn the problem on and off.

CorBon185 +P and Golden Sabre 185 +P are repeatedly exhibiting the problem.

230 Grain federal military overrun (white box) runs like a champ

230 Grain Golden Sabre (not +P) runs fine. Did have one FTF but it was not the "reversed case" problem.

Interestingly Ranger (Talon) +P 230 runs OK too.

200 grain LSWC plated run great (but they're mid-power to light loads).

So the combination of light bullets and +P causes the problem, typically in the last four rounds of the mag, often on the last or next to last round.

I ran through about 75 bucks worth of ammo to figure this out. Don't have time to call Baer now but will discuss with them soon.

Meanwhile I'm carrying GS 230 or Ranger with Ball as backup.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I tried some similar experiments last night with my Stinger. I have been using Winchester 185gr FMJ ammo for the break in. The reverse case thing happens quite frequently with it. I tried about 100 rounds of 200gr LSWC and had the problem once. These are quite light target loads. 230gr FMJ worked perfectly. Perhaps Stingers just don't do well with light weight bullets. I will try some heavy hollow points next time out. Watch-Six

------------------

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a Stinger on order and have sent Baer a box of Federal 185gr+P Hydro-Shok ammo, the round of my choice in a 4 to 4-1/4 barrel, for test firing and function testing. I figured it would be best to let Les wring out the function and sighting in testing with the ammo that would be used by me. Just a suggestion for anyone ordering a 1911 from Les. I prefer 230 gr Hydro-Shok's in a 5" barrel and told Les that when I ordered my Premier II, LW 2 from him. Has worked out fine so far.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Update,

I got a very nice e-mail answer from Les Baer Inc today. I have decided to send the gun back as Les has stated that he wants to sort this out. If anyone can do it, it should be him.

------------------

1 - 20 of 35 Posts