1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a glock that had some stippling work done to it around the grip/frame, how is this done? Looks like someone took a fine round burr and just make thousands of tiny little dots with a high speed dremel, it looked pretty neat and might enhance the grip of my G23, plus give me something to do today, not like I can make a glock ugly or anything! Any words of wisdom?? Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've heard of people using a file and a hammer, but I think it was done on a steel frame. I don't know how much wacking a plastic frame could take. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, seen a few that had the trigger guard rounded off. Is the frame on a glock solid or are there hollow spots? The obvious like the magwell of course, but like the trigger guard and the like??

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use a dental drill with good, high quality dental burrs. I believe dental burrs would fit the chuck of a dremel - seems like they are about 1/8". Good, sharp high speed steel burrs will cut well and you can use the "ball" style to make "divots" in the frame. Practice first on some similar material though. Also I have heard of someone using a small air ram chisel with the pointed bit to do this. I haven't yet tried it but it will result in a random pattern (which I see lots of frames with this pattern) as opposed to the nicely spaced cuts done one by one. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Okay, put down the tools and step away from your Glock.

Stippling on polymer framed pistols is not like stippling on steel framed pistols. On steel, stippling is done by displacing material through one of several methods (such as with a punch). On polymer framed pistols it is an applied finish (think texturing on drywall or on spray in bed liners for your truck). Several companied do this, and will be able to accommodate your other frame modifications (rounding the trigger guard, grip reductions, ect...). Look at Robar's price list pdf or contact Lone Wolf for more information.

Robert

·
Registered
170 Posts
Excellent point Reb - when I posted I had forgotten he had mentioned he was going to do this on a Glock which would probably not be a good Idea with anything moving at high speed! Anyway another Idea, and not permanent would be to use skateboard tape - I see 1911's with it on the grip.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, as of now, I haven't harmed the glock, so all you glock lovers out there can rest....for now, lol. I didn't think it would be that involved, but good thing to learn, and thats always good. Thanks for all the input, I'd just like to do something myself for a change, something that would be within my capabilities, so I'll look further into it and when I do proceed, I'll have a pretty good game plan!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts