1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock grips on my new 1911 Stainless Loaded look gorgeous, but after shooting some pretty heavy loads through my new baby yesterday, I have to admit that the checkering is so fine and sharp that the grips don't feel comfortable in my hands when firing. The dimensions are fine; the checkering feels really abrasive--beyond what's necessary for a good hold on the pistol. Or so it seems to me. What alternatives? I've read about Alumagrips, and I know there are sources of smooth wood grips out there. I'd like to hear what others' experiences have been, both with the stock grips and with replacements.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
The one complaint I have with my Les Baer guns is the Checkering is sharp. Happily, a quick click on Pick A Grip.com and the problem is fixed in short order. Don Williams is the man to talk to.:D

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Some fine sand paper will solve your problem. I just touched mine up a little bit, and they feel much better now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
springfields come with the ugliest wood panels imo

·
Registered
745 Posts
Mine wore in after awhile. If you like their looks, just give it a little time. If not I like the looks of the Rob Simonich "Gunner grips"

Hershey

·
Registered
844 Posts
Like Aleko, I sanded mine down a bit. Then oiled them very good. They look better and feel better to boot. ( Take them off gun before sanding and oiling )

·
Registered
305 Posts
BDHershey said:
I like the looks of the Rob Simonich "Gunner grips"

Hershey
I'll second that. They look cool and they grip like crazy, but don't hurt your hands like checkering. Add to that the fact that Rob is great to work with, and you can't beat 'em!

Specialized

·
Registered
358 Posts
I changed mine to a hogue rosewood with rubber finger groove combo that cost me 20 bucks from the www.sportsmansguide.com website.

they work very nice. the rubber fingergroves help control and the rosewood/rubber panels look very nive on my stainless.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Have a stainless target Loaded SA 1911A1. Took the original factory grips off. Put on some old wood Hogue grips I had refinished with Lindseed oil. They looked OK ($35 grips; Goncalo Alves, I think), but still felt sticky.

Then I saw a pair of $10 Hogue rubber FG wrap-around grips at a gun show last weekend. I bought them and took them home. They fit the 1911 perfectly, and don't look bad, either. They are WAY more comfortable than anything else. (I have Hogue rubber FG grips on about 75% of my guns).

Gluck Haben,

Dr. Lecter

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks to everyone for their advice; Hannibal, are the Hogues you wrote about the ones on their website with finger grooves? If so, do these fit the ambi safety? The ones in the photos are on a gun with left-side safety only.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I must really be an odd ball. I have three SA Loadeds in
different calibers and love the grips. As five-time
National Champion Bill Blankenship used to say, "If your
grips don't leave their print in your palm, you're not
holding it tight enough." I have tried smooth wood,
rubber and plastic but nothing works for me like sharp
checkered wood. Finger grooves, I can't stand them.
Just my opinion, to each his own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts