1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On March 13, 2020 I delivered this Colt 01980XSET Premier Edition 1911 (serial number CPE357) to Allied-Arms in Ladson, SC to ship to Briarhawk Guns in Las Vegas, NV. The insured package was pilfered and the 1911 was stolen while in possession of the USPS prior to arrival in Las Vegas. The receiving FFL refused shipment and the package was returned to Allied-Arms who filed the insurance claim with the USPS. The claim was denied several times and finally settled 9 months later only after the office of US Senator Lindsey Graham intervened. Just wanted everyone to know that if you see this Colt for sale, it is a reported stolen firearm.

IMG_1932-1.jpg

·
Registered
268 Posts
A local.shop by me has had multiple issues over the past year where shipped firearms disappeared while in their possession. I hear it is a real tough situation to get resolved. Sorry you had to go through that.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A local.shop by me has had multiple issues over the past year where shipped firearms disappeared while in their possession. I hear it is a real tough situation to get resolved. Sorry you had to go through that.

Just bought a Colt SAA and the dealer refused to ship USPS and would only ship with UPS. He said he had USPS lose two pistols in the past 6 months and he was tired of fighting with them.

·
Administrator
72,996 Posts
Last month I had a new firearm shipped to my LGS via USPS, and the package went missing for about a week. My first thought was that somebody had stolen it while in transit. It doesn't help that the LGS is named "Low Priced Guns" and the shipper often prints that on the label for the entire world to see. Fortunately the package eventually reached its destination, but I'm always on pins and needles whenever I have a gun in transit. Although they are more expensive it's worth it to have UPS or FedEx ship firearms instead, either Overnight or 2nd Day Air. They are better able to track packages and they aren't having nearly the amount of problems USPS currently is.

And BTW sorry to hear of your plight OP. Losing any package is bad enough, but when it's a treasured firearm it's sickening. To know that it's now in the hands of a scumbag makes it even worse.

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
I've had far more issues with "stolen" items with the USPS then with all other shipping companies combined.

Grumpy

Reactions: Retired AF CE

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Last month I had a new firearm shipped to my LGS via USPS, and the package went missing for about a week. My first thought was that somebody had stolen it while in transit. It doesn't help that the LGS is named "Low Priced Guns" and the shipper often prints that on the label for the entire world to see. Fortunately the package eventually reached its destination, but I'm always on pins and needles whenever I have a gun in transit. Although they are more expensive it's worth it to have UPS or Fed Ex ship firearms instead, either Overnight or 2nd Day Air. They are better able to track packages and they aren't having nearly the amount of problems USPS currently is.

And BTW sorry to hear of your plight OP. Losing any package is bad enough, but when it's a treasured firearm it's sickening. To know that it's now in the hands of a scumbag makes it even worse.
That was my first thought. Was the package blatantly labeled as a gun? If so then just put a large "steal me" sticker on it as well.

I just received a shipment of powder from powder valley. I get the hazmat labeling but a blind man could tell there was gun powder in it.

·
Administrator
72,996 Posts
I think if shippers were at least considerate enough to leave the word "GUN" off the package it would help immensely. For example, instead of "Low Price Guns" put LPG or "Low Price". As long as the address itself is correct it'll still get there. Mail handlers are too busy sorting packages to spend more than a few seconds looking at them, and they'll only take notice if they see that sweet three-letter word that says "steal me".

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
@kimberpro: could you expand on the explanations provided by USPS to decline that claim initially?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is common for USPS to deny all claims. The first denial was from dealing with an incompetent USPS employee who claimed that dealers couldn't use USPS to ship pistols between FFL's. Next was the denial for not having the correct FFL's, again another case of stupidity. Sometime four to six weeks would elapse between denials.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I've had to show the shipper their own rules respective 'rules' on their own websites at FedEx, UPS, and USPS on several occasions. Although there may be exceptions, the 'idiot employee' seems to be the norm across the industry. The USPS guy still didn't believe me. Had his boss come out with a huge manual, several inches thick, it seemed, in which we found the same thing I had shown them earlier. To say that I never look forward to dealing with any of them is an understatement.

·
Administrator
72,996 Posts
Yes, I once had a FedEx employee look at me like I just gave him a ticking bomb when I sent off a handgun to be repaired. I told him it was all legal per the rules. He finally believed me but I was left shaking my head.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I just received a box of 9mm ammo from MidwayUSA. Someone had bent open the box and taken out 100 rounds. I have reported this to Midway. It was delivered via UPS.

My local UPS store will not ship anything gun related. I tried to ship some lead bullets. Bullets, not full cartridges, and they freeked out and refused. I should have known better as they had already refused to ship a gun stock.

I went to legally check my handgun on an airplane one day. The gate agent went white in the face and had to have another gate agent come over the deal with the "evil transaction".

Probably the most "over react" moment I have seen was the woman that gasped and screamed when she saw me reading a gun magazine on an airplane. This was while boarding a plane in San Francisco. Her husband gave me a very dirty look and quickly ushered her past me. I try to make sure I am always reading a gun magazine when people are boarding the plane in NY, CA, OR, MD, etc.

On the other side of the coin I have had many gate airport gate agents thank me for carrying in their city. The one that stands out in my mind was a 65 yr old woman who had escaped Castro in Cuba, became a US citizen, and was working for Delta airlines in Houston. When I told her I was declaring a firearm in my case she looked at me straight in the eyes and say "God bless people like you. I escaped Cuba and it is people like you that keep us free here. I have been working since I was 14 and I cannot stand the current attitude of entitlement." She also gave me a big hug. I had a friend in Delta Exec so I emailed him to make sure she got some kudos.

I will certainly keep my eyes out for that Colt. That SN is easy to remember. Wouldn't it be cool if we nabbed the bad guys!

·
Registered
99 Posts
On the youtubes, back in the summer, multiple stories of UPS distribution hubs opening boxes and stealing ammo. I believe it was a hub on the east coast.

I’m surprised that we don’t hear more stories like that along with your gun stories.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just received a box of 9mm ammo from MidwayUSA. Someone had bent open the box and taken out 100 rounds. I have reported this to Midway. It was delivered via UPS.

My local UPS store will not ship anything gun related. I tried to ship some lead bullets. Bullets, not full cartridges, and they freeked out and refused. I should have known better as they had already refused to ship a gun stock.

I went to legally check my handgun on an airplane one day. The gate agent went white in the face and had to have another gate agent come over the deal with the "evil transaction".

Probably the most "over react" moment I have seen was the woman that gasped and screamed when she saw me reading a gun magazine on an airplane. This was while boarding a plane in San Francisco. Her husband gave me a very dirty look and quickly ushered her past me. I try to make sure I am always reading a gun magazine when people are boarding the plane in NY, CA, OR, MD, etc.

On the other side of the coin I have had many gate airport gate agents thank me for carrying in their city. The one that stands out in my mind was a 65 yr old woman who had escaped Castro in Cuba, became a US citizen, and was working for Delta airlines in Houston. When I told her I was declaring a firearm in my case she looked at me straight in the eyes and say "God bless people like you. I escaped Cuba and it is people like you that keep us free here. I have been working since I was 14 and I cannot stand the current attitude of entitlement." She also gave me a big hug. I had a friend in Delta Exec so I emailed him to make sure she got some kudos.

I will certainly keep my eyes out for that Colt. That SN is easy to remember. Wouldn't it be cool if we nabbed the bad guys!
I've seen several YouTube videos recently showing the same issue with ammo being shipped. Arriving with a damaged box. When opened, missing boxes of ammo. It's sad state of affairs when shortages and a pandemic require us to rely on shipping to transport goods only to discover those folks are picking off goods as they see fit. I won and completed a GunBroker auction (bolt action .22) right before the new year. The seller sent via FedEx and it went 10 days without an update on their website, all it said was received in Oregon. Supposedly it will arrive this week, as I finally got an update on its status yesterday. Fingers crossed it's intact and arrives!

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I've seen several YouTube videos recently showing the same issue with ammo being shipped. Arriving with a damaged box. When opened, missing boxes of ammo. It's sad state of affairs when shortages and a pandemic require us to rely on shipping to transport goods only to discover those folks are picking off goods as they see fit. I won and completed a GunBroker auction (bolt action .22) right before the new year. The seller sent via FedEx and it went 10 days without an update on their website, all it said was received in Oregon. Supposedly it will arrive this week, as I finally got an update on its status yesterday. Fingers crossed it's intact and arrives!

That is a long time for a gun to hang in the air so to speak. I sure hope it is ok. Keep us posted.

This morning Midway USA already issued me a credit for the ammo without any fuss or argument. They sure are a good company to support.

Just an FYI. I did a few Internet searches with two different browsers for CPE357. The only thing I see so far is what has been posted about the theft. Keep your eyes and ears open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wasn't the reason that UPS started requiring shipping using their "Next Day Air" service was because they were having too many thefts (by employees pretty obviously) and the premium service gets more scrutiny and supposed security?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts