1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My favorite handgun was a stainless P14-45 I had until it was stolen 19 years ago. I've owned a couple of Glock 21s since then but I always missed my old Para. Last year I decided I wanted to get another P14 or P13 and was disappointed to learn of Para's fate. I've been watching for a used model since. I received a letter recently from the Sheriff's office stating that they had recovered my stolen Para (no other details yet of how or when etc). I picked it up this morning from evidence. Man, it has sadly had a very hard life. It's badly pitted in some spots and clearly was never cared for at all. I want to fix it up and get it back into working condition and wondering if people already familiar with Paras could save me some time and point me to some good suppliers for parts and other resources/information.

I'm happy to finally be a Para owner again.

20201015_081858.jpg
20201015_081958.jpg
20201015_081919.jpg
20201015_081850.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't remember details, but it seems like other than the mag/magwell parts, and a ramped barrel, the rest of the gun uses 'mil-spec' standard 1911-91 parts. I'm wondering if I can just start shopping for replacement items like safety, sights, barrel, slide stop, etc or if I should be trying to hunt down rare para-mfg parts.

thanks for any help

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can't remember details, but it seems like other than the mag/magwell parts, and a ramped barrel, the rest of the gun uses 'mil-spec' standard 1911-91 parts. I'm wondering if I can just start shopping for replacement items like safety, sights, barrel, slide stop, etc or if I should be trying to hunt down rare para-mfg parts.

thanks for any help
I would try the usual sources, here is one link for you:

The thumb safety you'll have to have fitted, something that you may perhaps do yourself if you have experience. As to the barrel, it depends... it may not have been shot since stolen. I would first detail strip and give a good clean and lube and shoot it...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Henryt for the link and the info. I did a basic strip down and the internals look okay, just lots of deposits. The barrel ramp has two tiny pits, but I don't think it will have any effect. The rifling looks like it might clean up. I'll give the parts a good soak/clean over this weekend and hopefully deem it safe to test fire.

·
Administrator
72,126 Posts
Congratulations on finally getting it back. Most theft victims aren't that lucky. Aside from the barrel, frame, trigger, grips and mag catch the rest of the parts should be interchangeable with any Series 80-style 5" 1911.

Reactions: HK-INFIDEL

·
Registered
186 Posts
A very good lesson on recording your serial numbers. Even after 19 years the authorities were able to return it. No record, they trash it or melt it down. Super lucky day for you, Congrats on getting it back.

·
Administrator
72,126 Posts
BTW when it was lost did you still hang onto the spare mags you had for it, or did you sell those off? I used to have a carbon P.14-45 during the AWB years, and the mags were $100 a pop... in 1990s dollars!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Just think about all the crack whores and gang banger get togethers that guns been to, if it could talk?
First I'd disinfect it. I've seen a lot worse clean up better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
BTW when it was lost did you still hang onto the spare mags you had for it, or did you sell those off? I used to have a carbon P.14-45 during the AWB years, and the mags were $100 a pop... in 1990s dollars!
When I bought it new it did have the coupons which I redeemed, so I think I had three hi-caps. One was in the pistol when stolen. It's been so long, I can't recall what I did with the mags, but they may be buried deep in my storage unit. I might try to dig through it this weekend. Hopefully I get lucky and find them. BTW, what are the current aftermarket options worth buying? I found Pro-Mag and Mecgar for sale, but I seem to remember back in the day that one of the aftermarket brands had serious bulging and feed problems. Am i better off buying used OEMs off of ebay or?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just think about all the crack whores and gang banger get togethers that guns been to, if it could talk?
Man, no joke. It feels contaminated. Plus I took great care of and loved that gun and to see how it was treated, it feels seriously violated and maybe cursed lol.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Glad to hear you got it back. For the mags, if you can't find the original Para mags, get some MecGar mags. Stay away from the Pro-Mags...I've heard horror stories. I use MecGar mags in my P14-45 Limited and P14-45 Black Ops with no problems.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
My favorite handgun was a stainless P14-45 I had until it was stolen 19 years ago. I've owned a couple of Glock 21s since then but I always missed my old Para. Last year I decided I wanted to get another P14 or P13 and was disappointed to learn of Para's fate. I've been watching for a used model since. I received a letter recently from the Sheriff's office stating that they had recovered my stolen Para (no other details yet of how or when etc). I picked it up this morning from evidence. Man, it has sadly had a very hard life. It's badly pitted in some spots and clearly was never cared for at all. I want to fix it up and get it back into working condition and wondering if people already familiar with Paras could save me some time and point me to some good suppliers for parts and other resources/information.

I'm happy to finally be a Para owner again.
Congratulations!

·
Administrator
72,126 Posts
You're probably thinking of the same news story I am, where some guy finally had his stolen NAA .22 mini-revolver returned to him after the police had confiscated it from some young woman trying to sneak it into prison where her boyfriend was incarcerated. Problem was, she was discovered trying to hide it inside her [CENSORED]. The owner said the first thing he was going to do with it was leave it in a jar filled with bleach for a few days! :oops:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to hear you got it back. For the mags, if you can't find the original Para mags, get some MecGar mags. Stay away from the Pro-Mags...I've heard horror stories. I use MecGar mags in my P14-45 Limited and P14-45 Black Ops with no problems.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks. I took your advice and ordered a couple of MecGar mags from Greg Cote.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts