please advise

·
Registered
126 Posts
whats the difference in a stone's "grit" rating vs. sandpaper

please correct if grit is incorrect terminology

i have a stone marked 600 it feels much smoother than 1000 grit wet dry

please advise
The short answer is that there isn't one, single international standard for abrasives--even within types likes stones.

For a quick snapshot of the variety of standards, take a look at this web page by Steve Bottorff, who's an expert on knife sharpening:

http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/grits.htm

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
There are standards for grit size and abrasion, plus the types of grit. You are basically comparing the roughness of an apple vs an orange.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The grit size is the same but the application/results may be different. Stones are hard and flat (if maintained) which will give you sharp edge. With paper it will roll/move under pressure so you don't quite get the sharpness as stone. But this is very ? due to many variables, force used, backing, wet/dry. In belt or disk form moving.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Grit ratings vary all over the world and Asia, Europe and the U.S. all use different systems. Some manufacturer's will give you an "equivalent" rating. Most won't. Go with coarse - medium - fine.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in part general question

i got some stones a few years ago and used them to polish up some mating surfaces on 1911. bevel on FPS. nothing too technical, all flat surfaces, no sear / hammer work...... sort of an intro to stoning......

fast forward 5 years buy a CZ and everyone in that community is using sandpaper...

i thought most of that work on flat surfaces might be better served by stones....

today I stoned some of the mating surfaces on cz upper, quick 5 minute job and noticeable difference in smoothness. still was able to get some mirror like finishing....

i like the stones much better than sandpaper!!!!!!!

stones marked edm am-8 polishing stone one is 400 other is 600 i thought i had a ceramic 1000.

picked up a piece of 1000 grit wet dry and was much coarser feeling compared to stone... hence my question.

·
Registered
222 Posts
There are sharpening methods out there that utilize PSA "sand paper" on glass to substitute for a multitude of stones. Straight razors have been honed this way, and you ain't getting a sharper edge than that. I'll stick to a stone for sear work though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts