1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been buying some rifle bullets on line and they are shipped in plastic bags. Any idea where I might be able to find some storage boxes that would hold up to a 2 to 300 30 and 224 caliber bullets.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Wally World has tons of plastic boxes to choose from, at very reasonable prices. Most supply houses and on-line suppliers like Cheaper than Dirt have name brand and generic boxes. It all depends on what you want and how much you're willing to spend. For many years I kept bullets (bulk) in butter bowls. Now I try to find something heavy duty and clear.

I have lots of plastic boxes left over from bullets I've loaded (Speer, Sierra, MidwayUSA).

Grumpy

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Really did not realize that Midway sold empty plastic boxes.

I want them stackable so there is less chance of knocking them over. Might check Office Depot (just check there website, picture is below.) Old Grumpy I have some 1/2 empty (full) Speer and Sierra boxes. That is the size I am looking for.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The company a friend of mine worked at used these large Coffee-Mate containers with screw on lids in their break room. (35.3 oz- 2.2lb )

These worked a lot better than the Large Folgers coffee containers because of the screw on lid. ( They are almost the same size )

I have about 15 of these and have all sorts of items stored in them, plus they are pretty much water proof, I can fill them up with water, screw on lid and turn it over with no drips..!! ( at least none so far?)
I used one of these for a small wet tumbler drum, no leaks after running for 2-3 hours.....

Just another Tight-Wad idea, other than these I use Folgers containers, and an assortment of misc. Walmart ( ChinaMart ) plastic containers.
Plus the ever popular ZipLoc Ammo Bags. :D
Watch S. C. Johnson & Son steal my idea and name..!!!!
They will put a Camo stripe across the front instead of the white current one and charge 3X as much...!!! ( Gotta love it?)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Plastic Tupperware of different sizes, including bowls . Like mentioned earlier in the thread, coffee and creamer containers plastic, anything that will store ammunition.
Scott

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Look in your kitchen trash can for all the containers you'll ever need for bullets, cleaning materials and gun parts.

You'll find empty plastic containers of every possible shape and size.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Really did not realize that Midway sold empty plastic boxes.

I want them stackable so there is less chance of knocking them over. Might check Office Depot (just check there website, picture is below.) Old Grumpy I have some 1/2 empty (full) Speer and Sierra boxes. That is the size I am looking for.

When the wife does her shopping at Wally World I head over to the sporting goods. A lot of different types and sizes of boxes in the fishing section (Plano), kitchen section (Sterlite), and crafting sections. As far as the Speer and Sierra boxes goes I've kept everyone I've ever emptied. After a while the lids break off and I pitch them. Gives me an excuse to order more Speer and Sierra bullets. :)

Grumpy

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
There's a brand I like called Snapware. They're a little more expensive but they're made in the US and airtight so dust and stuff won't get in. They actually use a silicone gasket on the lid.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
You can get a case of Ball jars for about ten bucks. Do not get out much, do you?
Oh that's one of my nightmares! Bullets, cases, powders, or any components in glass jars. I'm like a bull in a china shop when it comes to anything stored in glass containers. Quality Mason jars are a bit "thicker" than say a pickle jar, but they are still glass. If it's glass I'm going to break it sooner or later. :eek:

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
There's a brand I like called Snapware. They're a little more expensive but they're made in the US and airtight so dust and stuff won't get in. They actually use a silicone gasket on the lid.
Hey Capt. I just checked out Snapware on Wally World's web site and they have a ton of different sizes. Most say they are "stackable" and almost all of them are described as "air tight". Going to check them out next time I'm there.

Grumpy

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I use clear plastic boxes I picked up at Walmart that easily stack. Most hold at least 500 200gr .45 SWC and it is easy to see what size is each box. The box for bulk .223 holds 2K or more. I have a smaller box that holds 300 or so that I put on the bench when loading .223.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went to Office Depot today and they had a clearance on a 4 pack of containiers. 3 of them would hold 150 to 200 .224 v-max bullets. The large one (pencil size) will hold some primers boxes. They are stackable and have a cheap snap on each end. All 4 was just over $4.00.

·
Registered
23,532 Posts
There you go.

Oh that's one of my nightmares! Bullets, cases, powders, or any components in glass jars. I'm like a bull in a china shop when it comes to anything stored in glass containers. Quality Mason jars are a bit "thicker" than say a pickle jar, but they are still glass. If it's glass I'm going to break it sooner or later. :eek:

Grumpy
Mixing your meds again. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts