1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that I have any yet, powder especially seems difficult to find right now but once I do get some, how do you store it? I probably won't have more then a pound or two at any given time and maybe a couple of boxes of primers but I'd still like to make sure they are safely stored.
So what do you do?
Thanks
-Jim

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Keep it in its original container.

Store it in the house, preferably, in the proverbial cool, dark, place. Like a closet or shelf in a room or heated/air-conditioned basement. Avoid a non-climate-controlled garage or shed.

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
Extremes in temperature and moisture are your enemies. Like moxie said, "Keep them in the original containers" in a cool dry place away from heat, flame, sparks, and water. Climate controlled environment is a huge plus but if your area doesn't reach -20 in the winter or 120 in the summer you can get by keeping then in the garage as long as you "Keep then in their original containers". :)

The quantities you are talking about (a pound to two of powder and a couple boxes of primers) could be kept in a dresser drawer without any undue danger.

Grumpy

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I leave mine on top of the safe by where the wife sleeps. I reckon if anything goes south, she'll wake me up in time to save the good stuff :D

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
What Moxie and OG said.

Actually I have just a little more than that and keep it in several places, not all in one spot.
I have some in the original containers in a box under a desk in a spare bedroom/ my storage room in the house. Some in my shop and some in a storage building.
Just the storage building does not have climate control, but I keep it in large Igloo coolers and an old refrigerator. They stay at more stable temps.

I also have some OLD powders that are just fine now...It lasts a very long time if kept out of the extreme temps.
Same with primers.

Don2

·
Registered
14 Posts
I store mine in an old refrigerator that I pulled the compressor from. I keep the primers in the freezer part. I've got an old freezer that I store ammo in.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I buy 8# jugs and scatter them around the house in various closets (top shelf in case grandkids get curious.) Same with primers. 10K in various closets (other than the ones that have powders.)
I keep my 1# using supply on my loading bench in the garage and my 1K using boxes of SP and LP in a closet in a room next to my garage.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
As already mentioned, keep powder and primers in their original containers and store in an area that temperature remains fairly constant and humidity is not excessive.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I store mine in an old refrigerator that I pulled the compressor from. I keep the primers in the freezer part. I've got an old freezer that I store ammo in.
Welcome to the Addiction (Reloading Forum )

If you have all your frig's and freezers full of powder,primers and ammo....Where in the heck is the beef..???
" Where's the Beef " Thats an old tv commercial, you younger guys won't remember that..!!! ;) :rofl: ;)

Don2

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
I currently have about 200# of powder and around 100k primers stored in their original containers in a concrete, non-climate-controlled building.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I keep mine in an unconditioned store room/workshop... I'm so ashamed. BUT... I also just loaded some Universal that I bought in 2003 and it ran perfectly. I should probably take better care of my stuff though. Dry and in the original container are the most important things. I had some 12ga reloaded that lived in a drybox in the bed of my truck for about a year. I'm still shooting some of them.

I am in Texas where it's currently 20 is the coldest we get, so you damn-yankees with your super-cold temps may need take more precautions than I do.

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
I currently have about 200# of powder and around 100k primers stored in their original containers in a concrete, non-climate-controlled building.
I'm jealous. :rofl: I want an ammo bunker!

Way to go Walter. :)

Grumpy

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Wouldn't have so much powder on hand, but got a really good deal on 100# of WC844. :) Buy primers whenever I see a good deal on them.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Welcome to the Addiction (Reloading Forum )

If you have all your frig's and freezers full of powder,primers and ammo....Where in the heck is the beef..???
" Where's the Beef " Thats an old tv commercial, you younger guys won't remember that..!!! ;) :rofl: ;)

Don2
That's a big, fluffy bun :biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I keep mine in an unconditioned store room/workshop... I'm so ashamed. BUT... I also just loaded some Universal that I bought in 2003 and it ran perfectly. I should probably take better care of my stuff though. Dry and in the original container are the most important things. I had some 12ga reloaded that lived in a drybox in the bed of my truck for about a year. I'm still shooting some of them.

I am in Texas where it's currently 20 is the coldest we get, so you damn-yankees with your super-cold temps may need take more precautions than I do.
About a few months ago, I had some paper federal shot shells I got from my late father-in-law that lived in a moist leaky roof shop for who knows how long. I kept them for several years and decided to try some out.
I took a well used 870 I keep in my shop for "critters" and shot a few....They all worked..!! PLus I got that great smell of waxed paper shells that can only come from them.....

Don2

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Kind of like these?
An inlaw gave me these in 1959. They had been in his machine shed for years before then.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Kind of like these?
An inlaw gave me these in 1959. They had been in his machine shed for years before then.

Yep....I love shooting them.
I'm on one of the popular shotshell reloading forums and they talk about reloading these. They make new ones too (paper shells )
Going to have to buy some and fire my MEC's up again.
Get to break out my black powder again. :D

Don2

I know everybody freaks out about smelling smoke and lead, but these have a special smell of their own. Oh well.....guess I'm special.

·
Registered
14 Posts
" Where's the Beef "

Haha, wasn't it. Little old lady asking that?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
" Where's the Beef "

Haha, wasn't it. Little old lady asking that?
Yes, little gray haired lady looking up at BIG guys saying that.

They use to make "good" commercials as far as commercials go..!!
Forget the company they advertised for, Wendys I think??

Don2

1 - 20 of 33 Posts