1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Without taking lockable security into account, what is the preferred storage for a blued 1911? I have a new aluminum frame carry case from CDNN, with the waffle foam inside, and I left my 1911 in it over two nights, in the trunk, in the garage, and when I next looked at it, it had all these condensation looking points on it, from everywhere that a foam 'point' had been in touch with it. They wiped off, but I didn't like the looks of that. Up until I got that case, I had simply folded a terry towel (with a little CLP and oil on it from wipedowns) around the piece and put in a wooden desk drawer. It did not come with a pistol rug, and now I am even wondering if it is a good idea to leave a pistol inside one of those?
My newish Hi-Power and Ruger Vaquero live in the plastic cases they came in, and they seem to do OK there. My High-Standard Supermatic lives in a wooden felt-lined drawer in a Gerstner machinist's tool chest, and has for 35 years, it does OK there too.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think the oiled towel thing is a good idea. Thats the treatment most of mine get in storage.
Incidentally I have recently seen a new spray oil/rust preventor(not really a good lube for rails and stuff though) at Wal-Mart. Rusty Duck. Been using a can for a few months now, as I have to oil my guns after handling them at all, unless stainless or chrome or something. My hands seem to turn Blue into rust over-night.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Each of my handguns has it's own gun rug. I store each gun in it's open rug with an acetate liner between the gun and the rug to avoid moisture problems. If I decide to take a gun to the range, I simply slip out the acetate liner and zip up the rug. Then, after cleaning and lubing the gun, I slip it back into the open rug with the acetate liner. I've never had any problems with rust, etc.
Marty

·
Registered
81 Posts
handgun storage

I store all my blued Colts on a clean shop cloth that's been sprayed with either Break-Free or FP-10. If it's absolutely necessary to put them in a rug, I spray the interior and always leave it partially open. A closed rug or foam-lined case will collect moisture (sooner or later-depending on the environment) and start rust. -Asa

·
Registered
86 Posts
I store all of my firearms in VCI bags. They are moisture and vapor proof. Springfield ships all of their new gun in a VCI bag. Hoppe'e sell them. They are available at Natchess. This will solve your problem. They work great and are inexpensive.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I store all of my guns in air-tight zip-lock bags, purged with argon, soaked in oil, wrapped in gunsocks in my safe (with the rubber seals, not the old fiber ones) in a closet with an industrial strength dehumidifier running full blast at all times.....

Okay, not really, but that would be cool if I could. I spray them down good with oil and wrap them in a rag. The DC area is really humid in the summer and the guns do fine.

Goog

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ed333,

Was the gun oiled heavily when you placed it in the case?

The reason I ask is I have seen the same thing you described, but it was oil on the gun not condensation. The foam in the case had become oil impregnated from placing the gun in it with a coat of oil on the surface.

That said I do think you have to be carefull to make sure any foam lined case does not becomes damp.

Oh, plus one on the bore stores :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Silicone impregnated bags- I am slowly buying these from
Brownells
Shooters supply
Though I have never had troubles keeping them in Foam, I have also oiled and placed in zip locks leaving them open for some air ( fight condensation)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.