1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming out of Best Buy the other day from an unsuccessful search for a present. On the way out I saw this guy walking slowly up the mail parking aisle toward me and the store. He was wearing worn and faded jeans and a brown leather jacket. He had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. I noticed that he seemed to be staring at me. I looked back at him while I passed (on the opposite side of the aisle). When I got to my car I saw that he had changed his direction and came back to watch me get into my car (from the opposite side of the aisle). While getting in my car I kept an eye on him. This is when I noticed the cigarette was unlit. He watched me as I started my car and drove off.

Questions:
Could this guy have been store security?
If so, what did I do to attract attention?
If not, what did I do to attract his attention?
Other than not having my revolver with me (work policy), did I make any mistakes?

Thanks,

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Could just be as simple as you not liking the way he looks and him noticing you not liking the way you look and being mad for you "mad dogging" him.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Probably not STORE security, unless the store owns the lot; maybe MALL security (ninja? :hrm: )

But probably just a guy who thought you (a) looked like someone he knew, or (b) might be a space alien, or just (3) happened to be where he was staring... :D

Good situational awareness on your part, though. :cool:

·
Registered
352 Posts
probably more mall RAT than mall ninja...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tcdrennen said:
... or just (3) happened to be where he was staring... :D...
Wasn't that, he changed direction to follow me back the way he came.
Though the space alien concept has merit. I love a good conspiracy theory. :D

·
Registered
579 Posts
He might have just been looking for someone with a light. I get all sorts of people coming up to me asking for money, donations, a light or trying to sell me something in the supermarket parking lots.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sounds like you were checking him out pretty good. For alot of people hard stares and eye contact are aggresive signals. From how you described him, he may not be a stranger to some of our nations reform institutions, where these acts are definately acts of aggression, and fights have been started for much less.

To me it sounds as if he was returning what he considered an act of aggression from you, and telling you through body language, "You don't scare me." Just as you told him the same.

Good job in paying attention to an unsavory character, especially around a store during the Holidays, but keep in mind that how you react/interact with folks like this is as important.

You never know....

Hershey

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Since his cigarette was unlit, he may have just been thinking of asking you for a light. But who knows? Lots of whackos out there. Its always a fine line between letting someone know you are aware of their presence (and not an easy mark) and being overly aggressive in their eyes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
weirdo

He was a weirdo. ....don't give it another thought:)
Good thing you kept your eye on him so to speak.
Breaking news....A Pima county Sheriff (not hurt by the way) deputy was shot at by a drug smuggler while performeing a traffic stop on a rural road. Three suspects were in a pickup and one jumped out and started fireing at the officer. She jumped behind her vehicle and returned fire hitting the guy once. He fired 5...she 8 shots with one hit...she was NOT hit. One of the suspects is still at large. She is a 16 year veteran of the department and this is the first time she has had to fire her weapon. The suspect is in the hospital and being charged with attempted murder and drug smuggling. Some amount of marajuna(dont smoke it...cant spell it) was found with the vehicle.....yeagh....pot is a harmless drug.
I have witnessed a Pima County sheriff fireing a Gunsite pistol he was considering purchaseing at a local gun range.....I was impressed with this fellas command of his weapon.
Back to the weirdo.
Maybe your vigilence(SP) kept him from following you to your car and doing what ever. When out n about walk with conffidence....the sign on my back says that I bite.
Have a very good day forum and walk tall...smile, and be safe.:)
Sigkim

·
Registered
85 Posts
Reddevil

Reddevil, you must live in Phoenix or Tucson where the bums are thick especially in the colder months because of our glorious weather. Almost everyday I'm asked for a handout and it's annoying as hell. 7-11, Circle K and you are right....grocery stores are the worst for the bums hanging out. I just do my little part and say no.....I do smoke but I'll be dammed if I will give them an excuse to approach me....so it's no agian. (matches are free inside the store so what the hell)
Our radar must always be on the highest setting and kept there.
Have a very good and bum free day:)
Sigkim
Scubie02 summed it up in a nutshell....can't add too much to that.:)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
What did you do to attract so much attention from the guy? Who knows? There are many things that might set off people and with the limited description of the events you gave, we have no way to actually evaluate your actions.

Maybe he thought you were cute and wanted to play dueling banjos with you?

Maybe he noticed you checking him out and for whatever reason, he decided to return the favor. Heck, he might have even noticed that you had managed to be uncomfortable by his actions and was enjoying his passive-aggressive effect on you. Maybe he is one of those guys who mentally sizes up people as to those he feels he can take and those he feels he can't during the course of the activities, he figured he could take you and so worked to make you feel uncomfortable, maybe to provoke him in some manner?

Naw, he probably just thought you were cute. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
25 Posts
b540glenn said:
Store Security or ne'er-do-well?

Theres a difference?

My impression of store security in some places is that they treat "everybody" like a criminal. Kind of like dealing with some police who dont believe every day citizens have just as much sense and ability and rights as they do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts