1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, I'm interested on your thoughts on this from a gunsmith's point of view. There is a pistol lock that I would like to use which fits in the mag well. A steel bolt moves forward into the chamber at the turn of a key, locking it in place. (www.gsiinternational.com) The nice thing about this lock is that I could lock all my 1911s and Glocks and have access to any and all with a single key. The only problem is the design of the lock does not allow the slide to be closed. You can ease it off the slide lock a bit, but not much.

The question is how big of an issue is this? If it merely means replacing the recoil spring a bit more frequently, fine. But do you see a bigger issue?

If the breechface were not resting on the lock body, but the extractor was, under pressure of the recoil spring, do you think that would damage the extractor (obviously, I am not talking about letting it slam shut that way)? In general, it seems like the breechface is against the lock, but in one gun, it might have been more of the extractor--I really did not have time to check it out yet.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Ben

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No opinions?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tonerguy said:
It should have little effect on life of the recoil spring. Cycling has much more impact that compression alone.
That is worth knowing--thanks.

Ben

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I feel the same as tonerguy, and once I had a gun stored with the slide locked back for little over 3 months, no problems occured and I still have the same recoil spring in it today (Beretta 92FS).

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Jeff.

Ben

1 - 6 of 6 Posts