1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard different opinions on keeping rifles (and probably handguns, for that matter) in cloth cases. In my case, I don't have a gun safe-yet. Some have said the cases "hold moisture" and lead to rust, some have said the cloth/felt, etc. "absorbs the lubricant" and dries the gun out. Am wondering what ideas are out there as to the best way to store one's guns. Is it cases or not? Thanks, JP

·
Registered
874 Posts
I stored mine in foam(eggshell type) lined hard cases for many moons.

Go to Wal-mart and get once of those steel gun cabinets, they are like 60-70 bucks and if you bolt them down with a little inginuity they are decently secure, much moreso than cases

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked at those cases. So if I get one of those, I keep the guns in it without the cases? JP

·
Banned
975 Posts
storing guns in cases is generally a bad idea. cloth, and leather both absorb and hold moisture next to your gun, plastic cases dont breathe which can also lead to rust.

·
Banned
976 Posts
I just store in the safe with a humidity tray. No problems.

Now for EXTREMELY long term storage. I mean no use for 10+ years. Use the old Cosmoline and brown paper wrapper.

Works great.

·
Registered
23,211 Posts
A low end gun safe is worth it if you have more than a couple guns I think. After that it depends on where you live. I am in the Great American Desert, so humidity is not a problem. Other places think about reducing moisture.

·
Registered
457 Posts
A good long-term solution is a safe with a dehumidifier. You can buy a little electrical dehumidifier (the brand name of mine is 'Golden Rod') that sits in the safe and keeps all your guns perfectly dry. Or just use a low wattage light bulb in there, which has the safe effect. I have this setup and it works well; no need for any other cases, wrappers, or protectants.

A good solution outside of a safe is to get a treated "gun sock", a type of fabric wrapper that is coated with silicon or other protectants. I've tried several, and there are cheap ones out there, but the best kind I know of is the "Bore Stores" brand. If you put a gun in one of these, you won't need to do anything else to prepare them for storage.

Link to Bore Stores cases at MidwayUsa

·
Registered
672 Posts
IMHO, everyone needs a gun safe. It not only protects your guns from theft, but from inquisitive hands of children.

That being said, store them in the gun safe with a dehumidifier rod or lamp or whatever heat producer you desire. The idea is to keep the inside temp of the safe 3-5 degrees higher than the ambient temperature. This eliminates the possibility of moisture forming on the guns in storage. This should be in addition to a good cleaning and oiling with the the gun oil of your choice.

Since I've started storing in a heated gun safe, I haven't had any problems with surface rust.

YMMV but it worked for me.:rock:

dj

·
Registered
948 Posts
Buy a good fireproof safe. You can get one for about the cost of your next gun purchase. You'll be more at ease when you leave your home unattended.
I saw some at Wal Mart last night for $549. That's probably less then it would cost you to replace one of your guns.
Tomcatt

·
Registered
129 Posts
+1 on getting some kind of gun safe. Houses get broken into all the time, and this is at least something to keep the drug addicts from running off with your rifles and pawning them within the hour! (And professional burglars probably aren't interested in your house...)

I go against tradition and use cloth gun cases inside the safe. Safe is in a heated room, so it isn't a condensing environment inside the safe. I find that the cloth case lets the rifle warm up to room temperature slowly, preventing condensation on the contents. There may be some condensation on the case initially, but this soon dries and the cloth doesn't rust.

Of course, I keep the rifles wiped down with a light film of oil, and disassemble them periodically so the internal mechanisms get the same treatment.

So far, no rust. This may not work in a basement, or in a state with high relative humidity (like Florida) :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
They make really large moisture absorbers which are used to ship motorcycles. Its like the silica gel packet you find in new shoes but about 12" long. They absorb moisture and when get "full" (it clumps like kitty litter) you can dry it out in the oven. I have one in my gun locker and am getting another one for my home safe. Dont know how they will work but I think they are better than nothing.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I store my pistols in a BoreStore soft case inside a safe. They don't absorb moisture and have a rust preventative. They are inexpensive and are available for rifles. A lock can be used on each firearm if you don't use a safe.

Prior to getting the BoreStore, I used a cheap plastic gun case with the foam removed and the firearm inside a SackUp.

·
Registered
24,207 Posts
The Silca packs work well

The silca packs work well. They are cheap and can be re-used. Everybody is pushing the goldenrods now because they make more money off of them. I used the silca packs in my house in New Orleans for many years which was as damp as a swamp and oftentimes had to leave my guns stored in the safe for up to six months at a time. No problems encountered. However this does not preclude cleaning them and oiling them well with a suitable lubricant prior to storage.

My Two Cents :rock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts