1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some 230 grain MePlat rounds that have a muzzle energy of about 500 foot pounds. These loads function fine with an 18.5 pound recoil spring and Wilson ETMs in my Executive Target.

I have never heard of anybody wearing out a Brown and it would cost a fortune to do so, but does anybody have any experience shooting lots of 500 foot pound ammo down range in terms of wear on the gun? If so, what recoil spring weight do you recommend?

i ask the question because I really like this gun and want it to continue to be top notch.

Craig

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Many manufacturers use a lighter than standard mainspring (standard considered 23 lbs) in the interest of a lighter trigger pull; were I firing stout hunting loads, I'd consider a full power mainspring and the flat firing pin stop, perhaps with 18 lb recoil spring as a minimum. If only hunting creatures that do not bite you, a Shok-Buff can also reduce the impact the the frame, but I avoid SHokBuffs in defensive pistols on the occasional chance of a torn piece of plastic locking up the pistol....

1911 purists and JMB will appreciate the flat bottomed stop being part of the original 1911 design, with the curved/relieved variant introduced later only to alleviate complaints of the pistols' slides being 'hard to rack'.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.