1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
My form is nearly ArmySon trim at 5'7" and 140lb. Should I be looking at a straight-drop holster or an FBI canted one? I have been advised both ways. Gun is (will be) a 5" 1911.

To Mr Waldon especially, what OWB holster do you advise for your trimmer customers? (Note, I am still a little ways from buying)

[This message has been edited by telackey (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Straight-drop or canted is one of those quandaries that can really only be sorted out by trying both.

If there is such a thing as a general rule, I suggest that the forward cant is preferable if you intend to carry behind the hip, since your draw will be from behind the shoulder of your drawing hand.

Several makers offer adjustable/variable-cant in some fashion.

I think most on this forum have a drawer or box with several holsters that were their previous favorites. Succeeding holsters were leather/kydex, higher/lower carry, safer carry, faster draw, better retention, more concealable....

Holster design/feature preferences never seem to be fully resolved.

G

·
Hi Telackey. As others have stated there really is no specific holster for a specific body style. Everyone even if similar are different. What I would suggest is to place the firearm where you are comfortable wearing it, then moving it to different angles and positions to see which you feel fits your build better and provides the most concealment.

For myself, 5'9" 170lbs, a straight drop doesn't work. For concealment I need more cant to the holster to hide the grip.

------------------
Waldon Holster Co.
Custom Crafted Perfection

Quality Holsters at an Affordable Price
[email protected]
www.waldonholsters.com

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
As others have already said, I too prefer a canted holster.

Being that I wear my holster slightly further back than most, the cant helps direct the draw forward instead of up (if that makes sense). On verticle holsters it always felt like I had to pull the gun damned near to my armpit just to clear the leather.

As ArmySon mentioned, the cant also seems to help conceal the grip of the gun.

Mac

1 - 6 of 6 Posts