1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While shooting my 7 year old Springfield Champion today, I had a very strange malfunction. After approx. 45 rounds with no problems, the gun appeared to have failed to lock open on the last round using a Wilson 7 shot mag. While chasing after spent brass, I found a LOADED round on the ground that had been ejected, apparently along with the spent casing.

After this occurance, approx. every 10 rounds or so, I would have a failure to feed. The round would either smoke stack or get hung up on the ramp. This was all with Wilson 7 rounders. It was unusually hot today and the gun was quite warm if this may have made a difference.

The ejected live round was a 230 gr. cast R.N. and the other problems were with 230 gr. ball.

I am using a stock 22 lb. recoil spring with a FLGR.

I am open to ideas as this has got me totally stumped. Has anyone seen anything like this and what is causing the problem?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is it the same mag all the time? Perhaps the feed lips have been deformed in some way and cartrige release timing is getting messed up.

Did you not get off seven rounds the time you found a loaded one on the ground? That would indicate that the round popped out of the mag and got tossed out the ejection port before it could even start to chamber. that would really point to crapped up feed lips..

Tony G.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure how many rounds I had fired in the mag that had the live round eject. Since my fingers were wrapped around the grip, I couldn't count!

The subsequent failures to feed were with different magazines. I have also examined all of the mags and the feed lips look fine.

One thought that I had is that the recoil spring is to light; the empties fly quite a ways with the 22 Lb. spring. I have ordered a 24 Lb. spring to see if this may help.

[This message has been edited by Cactus (edited 08-11-2001).]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by Cactus:
One thought that I had is that the recoil spring is to light; the empties fly quite a ways with the 22 Lb. spring. I have ordered a 24 Lb. spring to see if this may help.
I always thought that a stock recoil spring was 16 lbs.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'd try a new 22 before jumping to a new 24lb. I noticed a big difference in changing out my new springs after only 800 rds. I have an 18, 20, 22, 24 and the 20 even worked better than the 22 that came with my 99' model...

Good luck...You might also try new magazine springs if you've never changed them...If you change one, it's a good time to change them all so you will remember next time. Or...keep a log. That way you can keep track of the changes you make and which (if any) 'cause changes. If you'll try one item at a time, you may have better luck troubleshooting...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts