1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a new belt rig, from 1791 Gunleather: holster, belt, and dual mag pouch. I also bought the single mag pouch, just because. The single is just about the right tension on the mag, but the dual's pouches are just too tight.

I tried wrapping the mags, at first in just thick plastic bags, then cardboard with plastic over. Still too tight.

I was wondering if anyone made a form for this purpose? I imagine a hardwood form, like a shoe last, where one could spritz the leather and then insert these for a day or two.

If none are available I think I'll make a couple and include a feature that facilitates pulling them out!

Cheers,

jv

BTW, the 1791 Gunleather articles are an excellent value. The holster fits perfectly, the belt is a simple, thick gun belt (approx. 1/4" thick). Leather is nice, stitching is very neat and nice. Some imperfections, as on the bottom edge of the belt near the end, but nothing bad.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
use a small ziplock bag with water in it. Fold the bag so it fits in the pouch. Put it in the freezer over night. As the water freezes it will stretch the leather. Take out and let thaw. I do this on leather boots as I have some weird size feet. Sounds crazy but it works.

·
Premium Member
14,624 Posts
use a small ziplock bag with water in it. Fold the bag so it fits in the pouch. Put it in the freezer over night. As the water freezes it will stretch the leather. Take out and let thaw. I do this on leather boots as I have some weird size feet. Sounds crazy but it works.
That's a heck of an idea, my suggestion is to get it wet, and then insert a wrapped mag and allow to dry, but the freezer is a hoot of an idea and will try that if it comes up.

LOG

·
Registered
208 Posts
I’m probably not the only one interested in seeing some pictures…..the 1791 I’ve seen looks great.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I tried wrapping the mags, at first in just thick plastic bags, then cardboard with plastic over. Still too tight.
When you stretched with plastic, did you leave them overnight, or 1-2 days? Leather won't stretch immediately, time is key... more time, more stretch.

Also, are you sure it's just tension and not that the leather finish is sticking to the mags? I had a holster that just wouldn't stretch any more and I almost got rid of it. I finally tried leather lightning and it was fixed in 15 minutes. (2 applications and about 100 draws.)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Once, I put my boots in the microwave to kill the bacteria and smell. It worked! Wife wasn't too happy though! :whistle:

I'd try the freezer just for the hell of doing a science experiment!

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
This tells me all I need to know about 1791 leather. If it fits perfectly new then in no time it'll be loose. Leather stretches, PERIOD, no way around it.

New leather products have to be a hair undersized and broken in. Then it will be a perfect fit for a period of time, the better quality the leather the longer, and then it will be loose and worn out. Some manufactures make a tension device to tighten the retention as the leather stretches. Horse leather is tighter grain and does not stretch as much, so the break in period is shorter and the "sweet spot" so to speak will be longer.

This is not me talking, various top name holster makers post this on their sights.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I also noticed that blued magazines stick more in the tight mag pouches more than stainless steel mags or carbon steel mags with those magic finishes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you stretched with plastic, did you leave them overnight, or 1-2 days? Leather won't stretch immediately, time is key... more time, more stretch.

Also, are you sure it's just tension and not that the leather finish is sticking to the mags? I had a holster that just wouldn't stretch any more and I almost got rid of it. I finally tried leather lightning and it was fixed in 15 minutes. (2 applications and about 100 draws.)
I left it a few days. I don't think it's the finish sticking.

I looked up Leather Lightning and found it on Mitch Rosen's website, but I shy away from products for which the ingredients or 'mechanism' are not disclosed.

·
Registered
543 Posts
...I looked up Leather Lightning and found it on Mitch Rosen's website, but I shy away from products for which the ingredients or 'mechanism' are not disclosed.
Leather Lightning is just liquid silicone. In the 1970-80s Bianchi treated their holsters with liquid silicone before shipping. This is mentioned in John Bianchi's book, Blue Steel and Gunleather. Fiebings has been a shoe care and leather supply maker since 1895. They offer a 4 ounce bottle of their liquid silicon "Shoe Kote" for about the same price as a tiny bottle of Leather Lightning.

It will slick up a the inside of a holster.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,549 Posts
Fieblings is a quality company. I have been using their products since dabbling in leather in the very early 70’s. If I was looking for a new product and saw Fieblings, I would feel comfortable. Not sure I would just go with silicone to remedy an issue with proper fit.

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I've always thought the price of Rosen's "Leather Lightning" was outrageous for what is essentially a sample-size bottle.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I've always thought the price of Rosen's "Leather Lightning" was outrageous for what is essentially a sample-size bottle.
It is high but considering you use about 4-5 drops worth to treat an entire holster, that sample size will last a long time.
Not sure I would just go with silicone to remedy an issue with proper fit.
Nor would I... I hope my earlier post didn't insinuate that. In my case the fit was good but the guns were sticking... the LL slicked it up just enough to use the holster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts