1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 stripped grip bushings on my SA.. Any help or ideas on how to remove them would be appreciated. The part that is stripped is the head of the bushing (screw driver slot)

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I use an EZ-out for removing damaged grip bushings. You first need to check and make sure that the bushings are not staked. I always heat them with a heat gun to soften any loctite that may have been used. In the future do not use a screwdriver to remove or install grip bushings. Buy the bushing driver bit from Midway or Brownells.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you plan to replace them I have just always grabbed them carefully with vice grips. Be very careful that you dont mar your frame. Works for me.
CW

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
i usually do well with the torx bit. i cant remember which size number it is but you can just find the torx size that is slightly too big but still easily pressed in with hand pressure and twisted.

they usually come out pretty easy that way...

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
they are in there pretty tight idk if vice grip would work.. i give a torx bit a try.
just be careful to not smack it in there so tight that it damages the threading.

the people that really know what they're doing (ie: Jerry Keefer) recommend actually TIGing a #6 bit to the bushing but i do not have the ability to do that.

ive always had good results with gentle pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
I just kind of have to laugh, because I did the same thing, on Christmas day last year, putting on my new Christmas present grips. One side came out easy. The other side, not so much. Just glad I had new bushings on hand.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here is a safe method.....take the screw and red loctite it into the bushing. After it sets the screw and bushing will back out together. The bushing is already trashed so no loss....

Careful not to get the loctite on the outside of the bushing!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
eze-out or the red loctite trick. Bushings are expendable.. Put the new ones in with blue loctite and smooth out (clean) the threads of the screws real good. Oil the screws, wipe down and install. If they come loose, use washers.. It works for me.. Cheers.. Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts