1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone on here point me in the direction of a strong, cheap fixed blade camp/hunting knife that will last me a while? I was thinking maybe a KaBar or Buck Nighthawk. Suggestions appreciated!

ChaseN

·
Registered
691 Posts
K-Bar! I have had one for years that I use as a camp knife, not the flashiest, but easy to sharpen and gets the job done!

I remember one night a drunk kid came into my tent...the sight of it at his neck sobered him up...I love that knife!

Byrd

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish there was a way to see these before I buy one. I picked up a K-Bar at the local surplus store & loved it, but does anyne know where I could see an SRK or Becker? thanks

·
Registered
827 Posts
ChaseN said:
I wish there was a way to see these before I buy one. I picked up a K-Bar at the local surplus store & loved it, but does anyne know where I could see an SRK or Becker? thanks
Depends on where you live in VA. There's a big gun show coming to the Hampton Coliseum Nov 29-30 and one coming to the Showplace in Richmond on Dec 6-7. If you're anywhere close to either of them, you'll see enough knives to make your head swim.

For pics and specs on Beckers go to:

Camillus knives

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BHP-

I'm about 2 hours from Richmond, so I might just see if I cant drive down there on the 6th. THanks for the tip.

THanks again everyone

·
Registered
273 Posts
Michael_Aos,
I have a Bark River Woodland (same as the knife pictured but w/3" blade instead of 4"). The knife is outstanding as a hunting knife. Get one. Do yourself a small favor though. When at the Bark River website check the "dealers" link. The prices are much better if you buy from a dealer that buys in bulk. I ordered mine before production started directly from BR. I got one stamped "First Production Run" but it set me back $80. I intend to use the knife not put it on display so the 1st run stuff don't mean a whole lot to me. Buying from a dealer should save you at least $20.

As for the Becker, BK7 is a great choice for a camp knife. I have one of those as well in the Desert Camo version.

I ordered it from Knifecenter.com this past summer. I put it through its first workout this past weekend durring deer season. Unfortunately, no deer yet but the fire wood chores and cutting shooting lanes was handled by the Becker without a problem.
For the price, I'd say the Becker BK7 is the one to get as a do-all camp knife.
HTH,
Rupe

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
We keep a BK7 hanging from a lanyard on a tree in our campsite.

It's too big to carry around though. Lately I carry an Entrek Companion as my "camping" knife, as opposed to a big-honking "camp" knife.

I've sure been eyeing that Bark River Highland though!

:D

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts