1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I went for a preliminary eye exam required for having LASIK surgery done. My surgery is next Tuesday. Anyway, it was determined that my stronger distance eye is my left, and it is also dominant. We did a little test and I actually cocked my head to sight with my left eye. Now, whenever I shoot I sight with my right eye. Have you guys ever heard of somebody who is right handed sighting with their left eye? I've never paid close enough attention to notice which eyes fellas were using. I also wonder if I'd be a better shot using my left eye.

Theo :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
My grandfather is right handed.. does EVERYTHING right handed.. but shoots left handed. So does my best friend.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm not switching shooting hands, but I bet it would be really easy to shoot from a modified weaver position with my head cocked a bit.

Theo

·
Registered
86 Posts
You should learn to shoot with both eyes open, otherwise you cut off half of your field of vision and the threats there.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Good luck with the Lasik Surgery. I had both eyes done about six years ago. Best $3K I ever spent.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am right handed but left eye dominant (significantly dominant). I just use the left eye when sighting pistols...for rifles/shotguns I will shoot 'left-handed'.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Being right handed and left eye dominant, or vice versa("cross dominance"), is a relatively common occurence. I have been told by two opthamologists that LASIK surgery will not change one's dominant eye. I am cross dominant and have adapted by moving my gun slightly to the left and my head slightly to the right, using a weaver stance. How one corrects for this is dependent on shooting stance and body type. However, you should be able to make adequate adaptations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts