1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I have read my last bad report over at the Kimber forum. My Custom CDP is outta here as soon as I can figure out how to register at a good auction site. Before I list it, however, I need some input on a replacement 1911.

I'm not real big on 'tricked out' guns and haven't got too much use for beavertails and all that crap. But after reading so many good reports regarding Wilson Combat's customer service and the stunning quality of their 1911s, I think it's high time I took the plunge. I've been strongly considering the Millenium Protector for a couple of different reasons, one of which is price.... I'd love to be able to get a gun like this from Colt, of course, but I'm really attracted to Wilson's warranty and all the extras. The Armor Tuff finish wear doesn't concern me in the least as I'm not real big on aesthetics. I'm more of a functionability freak. Anyway, a Gold Cup costs (roughly) the same, within a couple hundred anyway, and I've already been down the Colt Customer Service road a time or two.

Should the MP be avoided in favor of, say, a CQB? Should I be looking at the Protector instead? How about Baer's TRS? Does Les Baer have as good a warranty as Wilson? If so, he sure don't talk about it on his website. I have plenty of time to make up my mind and I don't want to rush into anything. Besides, it might take a long time for the CDP to sell. Without the CDP sale, my hands are tied anyhow.

All comments (good or bad) are welcome.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello Inspector,

Do a search for my username under "Range Reports" for my evaluation of the MP. To date I've got 600 rds through mine without any problems to speak of. I'm impressed with its reliability, as I was expecting much worse. I guess I lucked out.

Looking at the Wilson 2000 catalog, the MP has the same parts as the CQB, except for checkering (FS is serrated on MP), sights (MP has Nite Eyes, vs. #463 on CQB), grips (black rubber on the MP), and Armor Tuff (MP is all black). Only you can decide whether the extra parts justify the extra cost for the CQB...they didn't for me.

The only thing I've changed are the grips; I found a set of Wilson cocobolo grips on the For Sale board for an awesome price (thanks ArmySon
)

Haven't seen a problem with the Armor Tuff yet, and I've been doing about 20 minutes of presentations a day from both leather and kydex. Only time will tell.

Wilson says the MP will shoot 1.5", while the CQB will shoot 1". Don't know why, but it doesn't matter to me, because I'm not good enough of a shot to tell the difference anyway.

The MP makes me look like a much better shooter than I really am. When I went to qualify to have my MP added to my CCW permit, one of the strings was 6 shots one handed with the firing hand, and 6 shots one handed with the support hand at 3 yards. Never having previously shot this particular gun one handed, I was surprised when all 12 shots landed in the 10-ring. I could never do that with my Glocks.

For my next purchase, I'm planning on the compact version of the MP.

HTH

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I will look into your range report.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Harry,

Sometimes it is difficult to convey inflections with the written word, but I mean this sincerely.

I know that it must break your heart to look at something other than the Colt, but I too have moved from nostalgia to function and service. The Colts are a fine pistol and have historic value, but sometimes we must move on.

My experiences with Wilsons have been exceptional. My personal favorite for the money is the stainless protector. Haven't seen the MP, but hear that it too is a very nice pistol.

Best of luck moving your Kimber. Hope that you can do it soon and get that Wilson. You'll love it and will still have the Colts to fondle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree 100% with GG45ACP's opinions when it comes to the MP. It seems like there are very few things I can purchase anymore, regardless of price, that I am totally happy with, the Wilson MP is the exception to that rule. I was hesitant to spend the money, but have not regretted one penny since. I don't think anyone can beat Wilson's customer service either. I wish you well and hope that you are as happy with yours as I am if you decide to get one.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
No disrespect meant to all those that post what wonderful guns they have and have less than 5000 rounds through them, short gun histories are likely not a good judge of reliability as some problems are not immediately apparent. Of course if problems show up early, that may be significant.

GG45ACP noted 600 rounds an no problems. Wilson Combat suggests not even cleaning your Wilson until after 500 rounds are through it - so 600 rounds is almost nothing. I have a full-size CQB with 8000+ rounds through it and might be able to give you some longer term insight, but the gun is actually quite young, much less than one year old. Feel free to email me for details. If the wear of Armor-Tuff is not a concern for you, I would whole heartedly reccomend a CQB, but I do have a few suggestions above the stock model for you to consider.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My MP has about 2000 rds through it: factory ball, hollow points, reloads, you name it, no problems. Lots of sweaty gun carrying, some holster wear, no rust. Get one.

------------------
"Quid hoc ad aeternitatem?"

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Contact Terry Peters. He gets the MP built with the CQB style sights and you essentially have a CQB less the checkering for about 3-400 less than a CQB. He orders em that way. You may be able to see 'em at his site http://www.pt-partners.com/index.htm

Can't remember but he may get tool steel parts as part of the deal too. May be your most economic solution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Wilson website has the CQB in both a full size and compact version. Does the MP have a compact version? The website only has the full size. Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
No disrespect intended for anyone, but I think that I know a quality 1911 when I play with one even though I've got less than 3000 rounds through my MP. I've been shooting, carrying, owning 1911's since my first one was issued to me in '68 and have my fair share of POS's. I've run the gamut from Colt, Springfield, AMT, Thompson, and none has impressed me as much as the Wilson. In my opinion, it is one helluva pistol and will continue to be the one that I will rely on from here on end.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My Wilson CQB is so tight and feels like a bar of soap, the tactical combat sights are great, the checkering is just right and won't prick you hand, the match barrel is nice and solid. Slide to frame fit is as if it was built from one-piece. Good barrel lock up and a sweet 3lbs. trigger pull and I actually like the two-tone green/black armor tuff finish...

Sheesh, I can't get over it. Do I really own such a fine piece of 1911 made by the very best? I'm so satisfied with it that I don't think I'm gonna shoot it for a while. At least until my wallet recovers to buy enough ammo

------------------
"Ain't nothin' like a finely-tuned 1911..."

[This message has been edited by Glock_Racer (edited 08-31-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts