1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall the article is good, but I guess that "crime victim advocates" are worried about running out of victims to represent....

http://www2.wsav.com/sav/news/local/lowcountry/article/more_in_south_carolina_packing_heat/64601/

More in South Carolina Packing Heat

HARDEEVILLE, SC—You never know who’s carrying a gun, and these days more folks are doing it legally. In South Carolina, new weapons permits almost doubled this year.

More than 28,000 South Carolinians have gotten a permit through October 2009, compared to 14,000 over the course of last year. Nearly 100,000 people in South Carolina now hold concealed weapons permits.

The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division says the state is following a national trend in the rising number of concealed weapons permits.

“About a 40 percent increase in sale and about a 70 percent increase in training,“ said Ed Soto, general manager at Palmetto Indoor Range in Hardeeville.

Soto believes fear is behind the rise in gun permits. “One, because of the new administration and the fear of at some point in time them writing laws against our Second Amendment rights, and two, everybody knows that people are out of work. People out of work doing stupid things, if you will,“ he said.

But some folks say a growing fear of crime makes arming yourself the smart decision

“I don’t know if there’s that much crime in the area, but I do.. You know, it’s just an extra precaution to take,“ said new gun owner John Pulcini.

Soto said about 60 percent of those he trains are women, many who come for self-defense and stay to enjoy the sport.

But people from all walks of life are now locking and loading firearms.

“Believe it or not, it spans the gauntlet. Skin color doesn’t matter. What part of the tracks you come from doesn’t matter. How much money you have…“ said Soto.

Earlier this year, so many people wanted to buy guns there was a shortage. Soto said demand for guns seems to have slowed down, but ammunition is still in such short supply that Soto only sells ammo to people who fire it in his gun range.

“People are buying as much as they can. Consequently, the prices of ammo have gone through the roof,“ he said.

According to South Carolina’s The State newspaper, “public officials have not reported problems caused by people who carry concealed weapons.“

Advocates for crime victims are concerned about the rise in gun sales. They point out for example the majority of women murdered by their abusers are shot.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Humm, the majority of murderers choose to use guns when they kill women. So the advocates for crime victims are concerned about non-murderers (men I presume) owning guns. Maybe they should be more concerned about murderers in general.

If this group is so worried about what, future crime victims?, they should be training them to protect themselves from murderers. I wonder what could be used to deter murderers...wait, that makes no sense.

It's obvious that this group is in favor of making crime victims. They are advocating, or promoting, crime victims. That makes much more sense.

I had it backwards there for a moment.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
. . . . Advocates for crime victims are concerned about the rise in gun sales. They point out for example the majority of women murdered by their abusers are shot.
Advocates for having MORE victims of crime?

Is that what they are saying?

Am I confusing myself here, or are they confusing me?

Good title for a confusing article!

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Advocates for crime victims are concerned about the rise in gun sales. They point out for example the majority of women murdered by their abusers are shot
Maybe if they did something with the animals who go around
abusing people before they pick up a gun things might be different.:scratch:

But why do that when you can simply take away the right of
people to defend themselves against the same abusers:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,046 Posts
"Advocates for crime victims are concerned about the rise in gun sales. They point out for example the majority of women murdered by their abusers are shot."

And the victims absolutely have no reason to have the same ability to inflict the same pain and death on the people who attack and murder them.

:barf:

It’s an OSHA rule making the workplace safe for muggers, rapists, and murderers.

:confused:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Crime victim advocates need crime victims for job security. For them, more victims equates with more job security. Or is that observation too cynical?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts