1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased right-handed Safariland magazine holders thinking that these were for right-hand shooters but now I'm beginning to think that they are for wearing on the right side - is that correct? The reason I ask is that when worn on the left side, they tilt backwards which doesn't seem correct. I'm new to IPSC so any help would be greatly appreicated. PS - why are these things so expensive!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don't know about left handed vs. right handed, but when you have the mag carrier on your belt, when you insert the magazine, the rounds should be pointing towards your belt buckle.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
116 Posts
You've got the right mag pouches. They should tilt backward. You want to wear these more on your front than your side. I wear four of them between the belt buckle area and the hip. The forward ones tilt back and the one at my hip is straight up. Just experiment and see what works for you.

I guess it would seem funny if you're trying to wear them like "normal" pouches on the hip or a little behind it.

Good luck with the game!

Dave

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Billy Ray, why should the bullets point to the front? I can reload much faster and surer if I carry my magazines with the bullets to the rear. Perhaps that is because I've almost always carried my mags that way.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Jim V:
Billy Ray, why should the bullets point to the front? I can reload much faster and surer if I carry may magazines with the bullets to the rear. Perhaps that is because I've almost always carried my mags that way.

I got this one, Billy Ray!

Jim, carry them bullet forward. When you grab for the spare mag, your index finger should point down along the front of the mag. Then, when you draw the mag and bring it up to your gun, your finger is in a natural pointing position to feed the mag into the gun. It simply helps you to square up the mag for quicker insertion. Also, this way of gripping the mag also places it in the hand perfectly to allow you to use the heel of that hand to seat the mag. There is very little or no movement of the mag in your hand, if you intially grab it this way - it's already in perfect seating position, once you turn the mag upright.

Try it - it's easier than it sounds, and it is very ergonomic.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Shane, after 36 or so years of reloading "my way", I don't think I have enough time left to retrain myself to do it backwards. I end up with the magazine in hand with my forefinger along the front of the mag now. I don't guess I'll try to change.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Jim V:
Shane, after 36 or so years of reloading "my way", I don't think I have enough time left to retrain myself to do it backwards. I end up with the magazine in hand with my forefinger along the front of the mag now. I don't guess I'll try to change.

Yep, can't teach an old dog new tricks - I'm sure that you can slam 'em home with the best of us - I simply teach the new pups the "proper" way to grab their mags.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Billy Ray:
Shane,

Thanks for covering for me! I knew I could count on you.

Billy Ray
SOMEBODY'S gotta watch your six.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts