1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I have two choices if I want to buy a sub $600 1911. Charles Daly or used. Given the intended uses, daily (and I do mean daily) carry primarily with the possibility of seeing some use in IPSC/USPSA Limited 10, which option would you guys advocate.

Mods - this is not in the CD forum because I want to hear from all, not just the CD guys.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
You need to do some reading here on the forum.
There are many sub $600 1911's that can be had, not just the CD's (and I have one and like it, so don't think I am predjudice against them) I don't know about the IPSC rules, others can help you there.

The Milspecs come to mind right off the bat.

Welcome to the forum.....and "Shaka"

Art

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was under the impression that mil-specs w/ old fashioned (read: snag likely) sights weren't that great for CCW. Fallacy?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't carry it, yet, but I just bought a new, Springfield loaded SS for just under $600, pre-tax.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The really old-fashioned military front sight (SA GI model) is the least capable of snagging...it's merely a rounded bump on the front of the slide. Useless for IPSC unless you have remarkable vision.

Most IPSC L-10 use a Patridge style front sight, gold bead or a fiber optic, all of which stand higher and present sharp edges. Many compromises between the 2 are available with names like Novak, Kings, BoMar, LPA, etc.

As to brands, any low end 1911 you get is likely going to require some tuning before you'd be happy with it in L-10 unless you just want to get your feet wet with a stock gun and not worry about being competitive. As noted above, there are many choices and the SA MilSpec, to me, has excellent 3 dot sights that are enough improvement over GI that I can actually use them. SA also has a lifetime warranty and, per other posts on this board, I think their warranty work, if needed, is quite good. I'd personally go that route over any of the CD, Rock Island, Armscor, etc. offerings. With judicious shopping, you can probably even get a model above the MilSpec for the beavertail they offer.
/Bryan

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
There are some great used finds to be had too. I went browsing for a new CCW and found a Chinese Norinco 1911a1 45acp for $300 in excellent condition(looking). I put a new barrel and full length guide rod w/18# recoil spring. I now have a perfect CCW gun. But at the sametime i found two other wants a new Auto Ordnance Army 1911a1 WW2 copy ($384) and a new Springfield Armory 1911a1 WW2 copy($419) which i had to have too. I feel either one would make an affordable carry gun.

BTW:There's one thing to be considered where i live if i use the gun to protect myself i lose it to the police and i need a lawyer to get it back so my thoughts of carrying a 1911a1 kind of is down the tubes in the end I'd rather carry a cheap replaceable ruger gp100 in 357mag. (used $230) its just something to think about all town/state laws are different and we must look into them to know for sure. I hate to lose a perfect collectable 1911a1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts