1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tossing around finding a thin, single stack 9mm for concealed carry. While I'm familiar with trigger safety pistols (Glock), I'd like to stick with an external safety. I do like the 1911 platform a lot. While recognizing there are inherent trade offs and the design was built for a full size pistol, what has been the forum's experience with smaller or micro iterations?

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I have a Dan Wesson ECO purchased used. It might as well have been new for the condition. So perfect that I have not disassembled the lower. 9mm. Feeds anything. No complaints.

The field strip of the upper uses a paper clip. Necessary evil I think owing to the short barrel length. Light. Easily carried.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Depends how small you want to go. I am working out a SIG p365 with a manual safety. It makes things convoluted but is surprisingly more usable than I had expected. Reminded me again not to come to conclusions without investing some effort. Folks who run 365XL have had decent experiences since it is easier to get a grip.
The one that I found useless was safety on M&P Shield.

Obviously, none of the above is 1911 but still gets you a decent trigger, manual safety and small size.

Reactions: nailcreek1

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I just checked. Colt has the Defender in 9mm. I haven’t tried it in 9mm. I did go through a .45 Defender for a friend. Nice gun. No bobbing whatsoever. Surprisingly accurate. He had all of $250 in it. Series 80 if that matters to you. Trigger pull cleaned easily with a bit of work.

·
Registered
26,137 Posts
I have never been a big fan of Kimbers. But I was checking out their Micro nines the other day in the store just because. I liked the size, and it seemed to be made well and set up right. I think that you could do a lot worse.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I tried a 938, didn’t shoot well with it. Bought a DW ECO and owe my! Mine is in 9mm and I think it’s as good as it gets for 9mm 1911 for concealed carry. Recoil is nothing bad at all, 938 was snappy. The ECO also shoots just as well as my commander length DW Guardian. The Shield safety is not useable in my opinion no matter how much I want it to be. The Sig p365 has a more functional safety but not nearly as good as the ECO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had my 938 for over 3 years now and am quite happy with it. My hands are on the larger side and with the 7 round magazine I get my full grip on it. I have more than enough rounds thru it to be able to speak to it's reliability and accuracy. As for recoil it's a little snappy but find it way better than a small revolver shooting 38 special defensive loads.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I went from an officer size 45 to a subcompact Sig 320 and finally settled on a Sig 938. Been carrying it in a DeSantis belt holster and have found it to be very easy to conceal. Yes, the recoil is sharp, but with the extended mag it is easily controllable. Found it to be very reliable.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,628 Posts
My SIG P938 was perfect for 1000 rounds, but from there to 3500 was a bit of an adventure, with hammer follow, a couple of failures to extract, mags dropping mid-string, crappy 7rd mag pad design. But since addressing all of that, no issues in the last 500 rounds.
Bag Eyewear Wood Luggage and bags Rectangle

Reactions: nailcreek1

·
Registered
899 Posts
My SIG P938 was perfect for 1000 rounds, but from there to 3500 was a bit of an adventure, with hammer follow, a couple of failures to extract, mags dropping mid-string, crappy 7rd mag pad design. But since addressing all of that, no issues in the last 500 rounds. View attachment 618472

You know I hesitate to post about my experience but it was similar to yours. It was a super reliable gun for quite a few hundred rounds and then all of a sudden it was like the gun was beating itself to death. I changed the magazine release several times because it was dropping mags. I started getting FTF and FTE and I was changing recoil springs often like I should. I think it's meant as a "shoot a little, carry a lot" gun. I really liked it but I sold it and moved on. Couldn't trust it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a Kimber Micro 9 that has become my EDC. I was disappointed with it at first because if flat out didn't work! Fail to feed, extract, fire. I couldn't get through a mag, period. I called Kimber and sent it back on their dime. Six days later it came back with a properly tensioned extractor, new springs and feed ramp polish. I've got 800 rounds through it now and it runs fine. Check out the Kimber forum for an entire section on issues with them.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Getting a Kimber Micro 9 to run we is like seeing Haley's comet, read the issues on KimberTalk, they are endless

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm a 1911 45 fan and I never thought I would change what I carry until I handled a Sig 365xl. I decide to buy one with the Manual safety to see what all the hype was about. Well that 365XL is now my carry weapon. Runs well, is accurate and eats what I feed it. I had to get use to the combat hold that Sig uses on their pistol sights but no big deal.
My wife Carries the Micro 9 and we have never had any issues with it. It eats anything and carrys well for her.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm a 1911 45 fan and I never thought I would change what I carry until I handled a Sig 365xl. I decide to buy one with the Manual safety to see what all the hype was about. Well that 365XL is now my carry weapon. Runs well, is accurate and eats what I feed it. I had to get use to the combat hold that Sig uses on their pistol sights but no big deal.
My wife Carries the Micro 9 and we have never had any issues with it. It eats anything and carrys well for her.
I love my Springfield Hellcat. I suppose it's the closest competitor to the Sig P365. But once you stuff 11, or 13, or now 15 rounds in it, you might as well be packing a Glock.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Been down this route before. Went from Colt Defender to Springfield XDs to Colt New Agent to S&W Shield to my current SIG 365. The XDs in 45 ACP was the best of them all, but has been discontinued. My favorite was the New Agent, but IMO the 365 has grown into its pre-production billing, and is an excellent choice for a micro 9, though it is not a traditional 1911 profile.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts