1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
You know I hesitate to post about my experience but it was similar to yours. It was a super reliable gun for quite a few hundred rounds and then all of a sudden it was like the gun was beating itself to death. I changed the magazine release several times because it was dropping mags. I started getting FTF and FTE and I was changing recoil springs often like I should. I think it's meant as a "shoot a little, carry a lot" gun. I really liked it but I sold it and moved on. Couldn't trust it.
I had the exact same thing happen to me , at about 1500 rounds it started ejecting the magazine basically after every round fired causing stovepipes. Sent it back to Sig , it's apparently a known issue and they replaced basically everything inside the frame. I got it back made sure it ran well and promptly sold it. The perfect example of a gun you literally cannot shoot a whole lot to gain just a little bit more concealablity.

Settled on the ECO as the absolute smallest 1911 I will carry / own.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Great comments... I've kind of narrowed it down to either the Colt Defender, Springfield EMP or Sig 365 (with a safety) - in 9mm. I have a CZ 2075 Rami in 9mm, but as a double stack, it's thicker than I'd like - despite it being incredibly built and dead nuts accurate. Now it's a matter of trying to find examples!

I was kicking around the Kimber, but it sounds like it's really hit or miss whether you get a reliable one. The Sig 938, while interesting, doesn't seem to have the durability that you'd expect from a Sig - shoot little - carry often, before it shoots itself loose.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a Kimber Micro 9 that has become my EDC. I was disappointed with it at first because if flat out didn't work! Fail to feed, extract, fire. I couldn't get through a mag, period. I called Kimber and sent it back on their dime. Six days later it came back with a properly tensioned extractor, new springs and feed ramp polish. I've got 800 rounds through it now and it runs fine. Check out the Kimber forum for an entire section on issues with them.
Sounds exactly like my Micro 9. I didn't even fire it once before I had to re-finish and polish the feed ramp. It looked like Kimber used a roughing mill to cut it and left it at that. Once I did hit the range it was FTF, FTE and light strikes. Light strikes after firing 40 to 50 rounds were caused by the FP hole in the breech being sharp and shaving primers. Feed issues I corrected by working over the extractor which helped some with the extraction problem, but I ended up having to run a finish reamer through the chamber along with a good polishing. Now it runs flawlessly and I'm finally confident enough to trust my life carrying it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The Sig 938, while interesting, doesn't seem to have the durability that you'd expect from a Sig...

I hate to sound like a hater, but I wouldn't expect anything from Sig anymore. And I'll waste my Sunday telling you why:

Sig knew early on that their new plastic pistols had a safety problem. And they got to work fixing it...to save their precious government contract. Meanwhile, they kept selling faulty pistols to civilians AND COPS while they were working everything out for the military. I have a philosophical and fundamental problem with that.

Let's talk about the P365. Instead of testing and doing their own research, Sig chose to let their customers do their testing for them. How many striker and spring iterations have we been through now? I ran out of fingers.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Sig knew early on that their new plastic pistols had a safety problem. And they got to work fixing it...to save their precious government contract. Meanwhile, they kept selling faulty pistols to civilians AND COPS while they were working everything out for the military. I have a philosophical and fundamental problem with that.
#metoo

Let's talk about the P365. Instead of testing and doing their own research, Sig chose to let their customers do their testing for them. How many striker and spring iterations have we been through now? I ran out of fingers.
These days buying anything just-released is a leap of faith. HK used to stand above the rest but not after the VP9 and it-is-ok-to-release-striker-from-impact deal. 9 mm Glocks are the safest bet but only because they don't change much from previous generations. I usually give 2 years from release to consider a gun unless it is a range toy. With SIG the time doubles.
That said and well deserved hate aside, the P365 in its recent iteration passed FBI and ICE trials while slim Glocks didn't do great.

·
Registered
993 Posts
#metoo

These days buying anything just-released is a leap of faith. HK used to stand above the rest but not after the VP9 and it-is-ok-to-release-striker-from-impact deal. 9 mm Glocks are the safest bet but only because they don't change much from previous generations. I usually give 2 years from release to consider a gun unless it is a range toy. With SIG the time doubles.
That said and well deserved hate aside, the P365 in its recent iteration passed FBI and ICE trials while slim Glocks didn't do great.
Fair enough (y) But I couldn't care less what the FBI buys. They get what they're handed. I get what I want :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've got two of the pistols mentioned here, a DW ECO in 9mm and a Kimber Micro 9. The ECO is a wonderful little pistol and I carried mine for a year or so. The barrel in mine is fitted perfectly, making it extremely accurate for having such a short barrel. I carried it until the Bul Armory SAS II FS hit the market, which gave me a slightly lighter pistol, in a slightly smaller package, but carrying 15+1 rounds of 9mm. It has been my carry pistols since I received it a little over a year ago.

About 2 years ago, I was attending a dress event and didn't want to carry my ECO because of its size. I purchased a Kimber Micro 9. As I remember, mine shot a little high and had a few failures to extract. It went back to Kimber and was reworked and back to me in about a week. The new taller front sight brought POI down to POA, and it fed and extracted 100%. I've won two BUG matches shooting that little Micro 9. It is amazing how well it shoots and how accurate it is for having such a short barrel. In fact, I like it so much, I bought another that stays in my laptop case that goes to work with me every day. I just don't think you'll find a better micro 1911 style pistol than the Kimber Micro 9/Sig 938 pistols.

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
In the mid 1990's, I purchased a Star "Firestar 9mm" for concealed carry, It was so reliable, I purchased another Firestar in .40 cal. They were made by a company out of Spain, Star Bonifacio, which is no longer in business, but the gun was recognized in Guns & Ammo as their choice for "handgun of the year" in the mid 1990's. The 6.5" length is small for a pistol, and with the all steel frame it is somewhat heavy, this is actually a plus since recoil is much lighter when shooting combat loads due to the weight. I also like the ambidextrous thumb safety. They are still available since quite a few were produced, but I would definitely try to shoot the pistol before purchasing,.....to ensure it is still reliable. I purchased aftermarket mags for my 9mm Firestar, which holds 8+1 rounds in the gun.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,041 Posts
In the mid 1990's, I purchased a Star "Firestar 9mm" for concealed carry, It was so reliable, I purchased another Firestar in .40 cal. They were made by a company out of Spain, Star Bonifacio, which is no longer in business, but the gun was recognized in Guns & Ammo as their choice for "handgun of the year" in the mid 1990's. The 6.5" length is small for a pistol, and with the all steel frame it is somewhat heavy, this is actually a plus since recoil is much lighter when shooting combat loads due to the weight. I also like the ambidextrous thumb safety. They are still available since quite a few were produced, but I would definitely try to shoot the pistol before purchasing,.....to ensure it is still reliable. I purchased aftermarket mags for my 9mm Firestar, which holds 8+1 rounds in the gun.
+1 on the "Firestar" shooting characteristics.

If the Star magazines are available, I'd endorse them. It looks as though there may be a source: interarmstx.com has what appears to be the correct mag on offer.

Reactions: nailcreek1

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm tossing around finding a thin, single stack 9mm for concealed carry. While I'm familiar with trigger safety pistols (Glock), I'd like to stick with an external safety. I do like the 1911 platform a lot. While recognizing there are inherent trade offs and the design was built for a full size pistol, what has been the forum's experience with smaller or micro iterations?

You might look at the Sig p365. One iteration comes with a thumb saftey each of my daughters cary one.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm a self taught gunsmith who carried a 1911 throughout my law enforcement career. That said, I took a RIA .45 Officer's model and converted it to a CCO in 9mm. RIA makes a good basic gun that makes for a good baseline for custom work. I put a Fusion Commander slide and barrel in 9mm and changed out the ejector. The slide was milled to accept an RMR based with tall suppressor sights by Trijicon. It wears a Holosun 507c. I can consistently get sub 1.5 sec first round hits on an IPSC target at 10 yards from appendix carry.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

·
Registered
31 Posts
Springfield makes the XDs in 9mm. No thumb safety but it does have a grip safety. I love my XDs .45 so I bought a 9mm for my wife. 100% reliable and a great option for the type of carry piece you are looking for.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm tossing around finding a thin, single stack 9mm for concealed carry. While I'm familiar with trigger safety pistols (Glock), I'd like to stick with an external safety. I do like the 1911 platform a lot. While recognizing there are inherent trade offs and the design was built for a full size pistol, what has been the forum's experience with smaller or micro iterations?

I had a Sig P238....flawless. Then moved to a P938 - single stack, 1911-like, etc. (because my full-size carries are 1911 format). The 938 is flawless, too. Has been reliable with everything I feed it. Deep conceals in a proper pocket holster, carries great in a Sneaky Pete belt carrier, etc. Just a great choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a little Sig P 938, 9mm, It's really tiny enough to pocket carry, and an almost pure 1911 type, but like most of those Micro 9's lacks a grip safety. Accurate if you will hold it, and mine has been reliable with a relatively low round count, a bit under 1000. I also have a Sig P 365, with an XL girp module and 12 round magazines, Yes the grip is fatter and the gun overall a little larger than the P 938, so it is not so good for pocket carry, I use an IWB tuckable holster and no one has ever spottedd it, even with light summer clothing. Advantage is it gives 5 more round than the 938, and you can get a 25 round mag, but then it gets larger still. Although striker fired, mine has a manual safety, same position and function as a 1911, so if you are familiar with the 1911 drill carrying condition 1 you are good to go. The trigger on my 365 is actually better than that of the single 938, I cannot figure that one out, but it is what it is. Unless you need really deep concealment, I would go the 365 otherwise the 938 is fine. The one disadvantage of the 938 with pocket carry is that lint accumulates in the hammer sear area rather quickly. The 365 tends to stay clean longer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1 for the Kimber Micro 9. It’s about half the weight as the CCO sized Springfield Range Officer Compact that was my primary for several years, with out loosing capacity or too much accuracy.

I understand some folks have had issues with theirs. Thankfully, mine (and I understand many other folks’ too) has run well the past year I’ve had it and with fairly regular shooting (I enjoy country living!).

21 - 40 of 66 Posts