1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having night sights installed and I was thinking about getting a subdued color in the rear because I hear it helps you focus on the brighter front sight. What are your thoughts?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Unless you do a lot of night shooting, you won't notice the difference in color or intensity. It is somewhat easier to pick up the front sight in lowlight conditions, but not enough as reason for me to choose that style over sights that have all three dots the same. IMHO.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'm with Rosco...all you need is a front....it's less distracting and cheaper. I intend to have my P7 front filled with a tritium insert, preferably green.....

·
Registered
253 Posts
Took a night course, tried it with trits on 3 dots, and dabbed out my backs for a while. Works both ways, but I liked having all 3. Hot and sweaty and the gun would sometime torque over a little (fixed this with checkered frontstrap), and it "seemed" easier to re-align for me with all 3. If you can try it both ways, see which you like best, but minimum, get that front one done.

My 3 are all green, haven't had any problem with them all being the same.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I prefer the tritium up front, with the standard two white sights at the rear. For me, this is the ideal setup for daytime and low-light/nighttime. Maybe it's middle age, but having the night sights at the rear was almost distracting for me in the daylight. geegee

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have night sights on all my defense pistols. I have yellow rear dots and a green front dot. The yellow sights tend to be one of the more dimmer of the night sight configurations. The green is brighter by far. If it's a situation where I otherwise couldn't see my sights but still have to fire my weapon, I at least have some hope of landing rounds on target. Unless it's contact distance or so, I hesitate to rely on a front sight only sight picture. I have sights by MMC, AroTech, and Wilson. All have worked fine. Stay safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I have decided to go with a dot front and post on the rear. Since it is a bomar adjustable rear I'm also getting an extra plain blade to see how I like it with just a single dot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts