1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just-filed lawsuit against Baldwin appears backed by substantive facts and specific allegations:

"Alec Baldwin wasn’t scripted to fire gun in ‘Rust’ scene: lawsuit."

"The script supervisor who called 911 after Alec Baldwin shot and killed a woman on the “Rust” movie set has accused the actor of recklessness in practicing for a scene that didn’t even call for him to fire his gun."

“Alec Baldwin intentionally, without just cause or excuse, cocked and fired the loaded gun even though the upcoming scene to be filmed did not call for the cocking and firing of the firearm,” script supervisor Mamie Mitchell said in a lawsuit filed on Wednesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court. “Mr. Baldwin chose to play Russian Roulette with a loaded gun without checking it and without having the armorer do so.”

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
Now I'll have to read the complaint to see if it mentions aiming and firing as a temper-tantrum.

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The article also mentions another crew member who "shot herself in the foot" as well as allegations of loaded guns being used on the set for target practice. I wasn't as yet aware of the former incident...and the latter incident is described with greater specificity than in most prior media accounts.

Sounds like the character "English Bob" from "Unforgiven" would have found himself very much at home on the "Rust" set.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
This just-filed lawsuit against Baldwin appears backed by substantive facts...
Mitchell’s lawsuit alleged that she suffered ...“serious physical trauma...”

Sounds substantive. I need a reminder what caliber that revolver was. Must've been something fierce if it caused physical trauma to a bystander who wasn't even shot with it.

If he wasn't asked to point and fire, he could and should be charged even if clearing the gun wasn't his responsibility. Small problem is how you trust a statement when it is so transparent in its intent to get some $$$$.

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Obviously the script (a document) will be entered as evidence. I'll guess that the script supervisor knows the script pretty well, and she wouldn't have made script-specific allegations without concrete knowledge of the detailed script.

I do not expect (just my opinion) this lawsuit to be easily dismissed. The attorney who prepared it appears to know his stuff.

·
Administrator
75,876 Posts
Of course it should come as no surprise that the lawyers are lining up before the police have even completed their investigation.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Script doesn't exclude a possibility of Baldwin being directed by Hutchins or Souza to do that. Off script things are done all the time and sometimes even make it into the films.

Ultimately I, again, would let the investigators do their job and present the findings. I think they would be able to determine what was called or not called and by whom without relying on a statement of a person who claims a physical trauma from a revo ball flying somewhere in her vicinity.

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Of course it should come as no surprise that the lawyers are lining up before the police have even completed their investigation.
Normal in this type of case. Police investigations do not necessarily reveal -- or publicly report -- all relevant details, nor do they take a client advocacy position. ...if an attorney perceives a good case, there's no reason to delay legal actions merely to see what the police eventually report.

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Script doesn't exclude a possibility of Baldwin being directed by Hutchins or Souza to do that. Off script things are done all the time and sometimes even make it into the films.

Ultimately I, again, would let the investigators do their job and present the findings. I think they would be able to determine what was called or not called and by whom without relying on a statement of a person who claims a physical trauma from a revo ball flying somewhere in her vicinity.
This presumes a neutral "wait and see" perspective. Which is fine if someone has no personal involvement, and is equally satisfied with any result the police ultimately come up with.

But if someone does have a personal involvement and a desire for their view to prevail, it makes sense to be represented by an attorney advocating on your behalf. This is pretty standard legal advice, it's not something that's controversial.

One cannot presuppose that the police will do this for you. Furthermore, police will be reviewing and reporting on matters from a criminal law perspective, not a civil tort law perspective.

In preparing the best possible civil case, it's foolish to choose to limit one's evidence, timing, and presentation to what has been obtained and publicly shared by police for possible criminal prosecution.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Even considering that it was written by a team of lawyers, if true it paints a picture of recklessness. Too many safety rules ignored, any one of which would have prevented anyone being hurt or killed.

I had read that there were two ADs of blanks. I wonder if someone peppered their foot.

Often lawyers wait for a criminal conviction before suing, I've read that it makes it far easier to prove their case.

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Even considering that it was written by a team of lawyers, if true it paints a picture of recklessness. Too many safety rules ignored, any one of which would have prevented anyone being hurt or killed.

I had read that there were two ADs of blanks. I wonder if someone peppered their foot.

Often lawyers wait for a criminal conviction before suing, I've read that it makes it far easier to prove their case.
Indeed. +1911 on all points.

The last point tends to be most true if a criminal conviction is anticipated with considerable confidence, as was probably the case with O.J. It was not the case with Bill Cosby. There are a number of people who are not expecting a criminal conviction of Baldwin; and that has to enter into the legal calculus.

—-

Another key point of differentiation in this case is that no further investigation is needed to ascertain who pointed the gun at Ms. Hutchins and then pulled the trigger. Someone could wait for years, and this core truth isn’t going to change.

We already know this, and for those who think this known act by Baldwin was absolutely wrongful, in and of itself, no “results“ of any investigation are going to change this essential truth.

Very few Forum members believe that Baldwin’s actions were within his rights. These views have been shared by crew members who have spoken out. In other words, these are not the perspectives of some extremist

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When O.J. Simpson was acquitted for murder the Goldman's filed in Civil court and won. It doesn't appear that the police are going to file criminal charges, then why wait for anything. Innocence in a criminal court has nothing to do with Civil liability
Exactly.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
But if someone does have a personal involvement and a desire for their view to prevail, it makes sense to be represented by an attorney advocating on your behalf. This is pretty standard legal advice, it's not something that's controversial.
Correct. In this case a personal involvement is to get compensated for, and I quote, "a physical trauma" and "injury" from a single revolver shot fired somewhere in her presence. Credibility through the roof.

I sure hope more of the crew people file same type of lawsuits. Imagine like 10 people claiming a physical trauma and injury from a single lead ball flying by. You'd think he triggered a claymore.

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Correct. In this case a personal involvement is to get compensated for, and I quote, "a physical trauma" and "injury" from a single revolver shot fired somewhere in her presence. Credibility through the roof.

I sure hope more of the crew people file same type of lawsuits. Imagine like 10 people claiming a physical trauma and injury from a single lead ball flying by. You'd think he triggered a claymore.
I‘m gathering that you believe the lawsuit will be dismissed out of hand in the courthouse on grounds that the plaintiff has no standing, no cause of complaint.

I always respect your opinions, you’ve well earned respect. Perhaps you’re correct. So that’s probably that, and we can move the discussion onward to other aspects of the case.

As to motivations, many people believe that anger, not money, is what spurs many civil tort actions. I think this is possible here, but only the person filing the action knows for sure.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Imagine like 10 people claiming a physical trauma and injury from a single lead ball flying by. You'd think he triggered a claymore.
Was that scene indoors? (in the Church?) If so, I bet their ears were ringing pretty bad!

Reactions: YVK

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I‘m gathering that you believe the lawsuit will be dismissed out of hand in the courthouse on grounds that the plaintiff has no standing, no cause of complaint.
I was simply being sarcastic about how transparent that lawsuit is, and that in their attempt to maximize potential gains, which can only be done by maximizing injury, that woman lost quite a bit of credibility, at least in my eyes.

I don't think that this means she's lying about him being off script. If he really shot the gun without being prompted to do so and point specifically "there", in my eyes he's guilty of a criminal negligence and I hope he's charged appropriately. Not as a producer but as an actor.

I also don't think that her lawsuit will be necessarily dismissed. I think that the lawyers will pivot from physical trauma to emotional as soon as physical doesn't work out.

Separately, I do appreciate your respect for my opinions even when different from yours. Same goes your way. I am naturally a very sarcastic person so sometimes that looks nearly caustic online but it is all really lighthearted on my side.

Was that scene indoors? (in the Church?) If so, I bet their ears were ringing pretty bad!
Right on! Intractable tinnitus now!

Hope she deleted any photos with her wearing airpods.

Reactions: chrysanthemum
1 - 20 of 93 Posts