1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, with some of the threads lately, considering the premium we are paying for them and the quality issues, they ought to include a Fed Ex/UPS return tag with the instruction manual on all new guns. LOL. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Colt needs better QC!!!

I'll second that, and even when I got my new SS Gov't XSE back from them there were brass marks on the slide and on the rear site from extracted shell casings..........and Colt made no effort to clean them up!!! I was able to clean the marks off the slide, but the one mark on the rear site won't come off, it almost looks like a little nick? So now I'm thinking of trading it in on another 1911. It just bothers the heck out of me to know that Colt doesn't care about QC and then expects to get high prices for their products..........maybe one day they will learn, who knows!?!

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
2005xse said:
I'll second that, and even when I got my new SS Gov't XSE back from them there were brass marks on the slide and on the rear site from extracted shell casings..........and Colt made no effort to clean them up!!! I was able to clean the marks off the slide, but the one mark on the rear site won't come off, it almost looks like a little nick? So now I'm thinking of trading it in on another 1911. It just bothers the heck out of me to know that Colt doesn't care about QC and then expects to get high prices for their products..........maybe one day they will learn, who knows!?!
You are going to trade the gun because of brass marks?.....WOW... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
2005xse said:
there were brass marks on the slide and on the rear site from extracted shell casings..........I was able to clean the marks off the slide, but the one mark on the rear site won't come off, it almost looks like a little nick? So now I'm thinking of trading it in on another 1911.
This type of thinking leads to problems that never end. Most with this attitude aren't really happy with anything in life and spend a lot of energy just shifting around, trading, returning, exchanging, complaining. I've had a few customers like that... and there's nothing you can do that's quite good enough for them, no matter what you do.

Perhaps you should trade it off for a brand new Kimber and lock it in a glass case so you can just look at it. But don't try to shoot it because you may find you've just traded yourself into something you really should complain about! But as long as you leave it in the glass case, everything should be fine. Should you decide to shoot it, even if it runs flawlessly, you might get a speck of brass on the sight or something, then you'd just have to trade it off too! :rolleyes: Best not to shoot your guns... just look at them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
And don't even think about investing in one of there AR 15's. The first few rounds will permanently mar the "BRASS DEFLECTOR", and we can't have that now, can we?:scratch: Shame on Colt for making the ultimate firearm, the 1911 .45, that has stood the test of time and three major conflicts, but didn't see it necessary to make it look cosmetically pretty no matter how little or how much you used it. I'd say, go ahead, sale the gun, find a NIB that you like, don't by it for Pete's sake, just take a picture of it, frame it and hang it on the wall. That way it will never get a nick or scratch or any other kind of wear, and all will be right with the world.:rolleyes: SHEESH

·
Registered
229 Posts
To All

To All,

I'm not sure if you all read my posting right, but I was able to get the brass marks off the slide...........but the mark on the rear sight IS actually a scratch or a nick or something like that.........in other words, it is permanent and I didn't do it myself. I was just stating that I think that Colt should've caught that before sending it back to me and fixed the problem. Now, had I done that myself, I wouldn't have cared at all!!! Since I did however drop a lot of money on this 1911, I would expect that it be in brand new conditon when I recieve it!!!!!! :) And by the way.........there is absolutely no need to be rude!!!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
2005xse

It appears to me that the brass marks on the slide indicate that Colt fired your pistol to verify its operation after addressing the issue that caused you to return your pistol. To me the fact Colt did not clean the pistol is a good thing since it shows me that the above might be true, at least if the pistol is dirtier than how I sent it to them. Also, concerning the cost of Colt's labor, I would guess $70-$80 per hour, I would not expect them to spend much time cleaning a post test pistol. Would I want them to? Yes, I would. But I don't think they will, or can afford too.

Considering the "nick" on the rear sight. It may have been damaged while your pistol was at Colt, or it may have been a flaw that you did not notice which became exposed during shooting. If it really bothers you, I suggest you call Colt and explain the situation. I expect that Colt will take care of you and will repair or replace the rear sight. Tough you will probably need to send them your slide. Colt has paid for shipping, and they may here also. But, if you only send the slide, it can be shipped Express Mail which is easier and less expensive than UPS or FedEx.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2005xse,

Don't take it personally, some of my fellow 1911 fanatics tend to be a little....passionate..... :rolleyes: :biglaugh:

Welcome to the forum, I noticed you only have a few posts so don't take it personal. I suspect that the nick that you have in your sight might have been from them drifting your sight to get it to hit point of aim. This isn't too uncommon. Usually bass punches are used but occasionally someone grans the wrong punch and well, you might get a nick. You might want to try some cold blue to touch it up.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
2005xse said:
And by the way.........there is absolutely no need to be rude!!!
2005xse... you are absolutely right. I'm sorry. But when I read that you were considering getting rid of the gun because of a small ding/brass mark on the rear sight I was astounded that anyone would think of such a thing under these circumstances. I'm still astounded by your statement. But we are all motivated in different ways to do different things and you are certainly well within your proper right to do with that gun as you see fit and if a small ding on the sight prompts you to dump the gun, then so be it.

I did want to make the point that dumping the gun might be akin to "throwing the baby out with the bath water" and your replacement gun may well wind up giving you much more significant headaches (reliability issues...) than your good running Colt presents. My apologies for being sarcastic.

·
Registered
806 Posts
2005xse said:
I agree. A time in the not to distant past, Americans took a great deal of pride in their work. It was very unusual for a new item to be dirty and not "looking like it was new out of the box" so to speak.
Today, those professional standards are no longer norms but exceptions. Almost in everything we find.
American craftmanship has been taking a heavy toll, by it own doing.
It seems that when you find a company that returns to the standards of the past, you think it is something special anymore, not the norm. :)
There is no reason for that weapon not to be clean and looking good for a new buyer, just plain common good business practices.

·
Registered
673 Posts
2005xse-

I can empathize with your problem, and I too would be ticked if a brand new gun came back from warranty work with a ding in the rear sight. If that gun runs 100%, keep it. It will pick up more dings over time, which really just give it character. I know how hard it is to suffer the first ding on a new gun, but they all get them eventually. True, you should be able to expect a higher standard from Colt, but the reality is that you're probably not going to get it from them or any other 1911 manufacturer. If the sight really bothers you, it's easy to replace with a new one without sending it off to Colt. I made it a practice a long time ago to not get rid of 1911s that work 100%, no matter what cosmetic issues they might have. The only exception I made to that was getting rid of a Smith scandium framed commander so that I could afford a nice series 70 Colt LW Commander. The Smith was nice, but I wanted a gun I could pimp out the way I wanted it rather than be stuck with the 'semi-custom' mods Smith puts on their guns. Anyway, if your Colt runs and has no other issues, I wouldn't get rid of it for another gun that might have real problems.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Xse

Well, I gave Colt a call about the sight being dinged up and they told me that they would replace it for free........and this time they're going to send me a prepaid package for FedEx. So I guess I well end up keeping the gun afterall. I know it may take a little while to get it back, but it isn't like I have the time to go to the range right now, because I'm a student and it seems like my every waking moment is devoted to HWK. Although I did have a chance to go shooting in the Arizona desert before school started and it did shoot well. It is probably the most accurate handgun I've ever shot in my limited experience. But anyway, at least Colt is welling to make there mistake right! That's why I decided to keep it.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
2005XSE... it won't be long before you consider that Colt to be a cherished, trusted friend... if you had more experience with other 1911 brands, you would recognize that Colt has something really special in the way of 1911's and they are ultra reliable... which is NUMBER ONE. Over time you will most likely buy more Colt 1911's. Inspite of the blem or issue that pops up here and there on Colts, you should know that the same is true of all the 1911 brands. And some of the other brand 1911's that look mighty tempting in your hand will drive you nuts with their high rate of reliability problems, broken parts, and inaccuracy. Your Colt is a goodie and now you know that if you have a problem, Colt will take care of it for you.

By the way, I really love my new XSE, which I have customized a little:

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
DHart

You evil person! How dare you tempt us with these vile images of Coltography! And me a thousand miles away from my favorite Colt, so I can't calm my twitching eye (which you caused by the way) :biglaugh:. You are going to force me to visit the local gun stores just to get over this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.