1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've looked at manufactuer's websites for a while now and was considering a Para LDA until a local smith told me that the trigger mechs were no good. So I thought about springfield. They make pistols for the FBI, must be great. Then I see the 5 pics of springfields with half of the slide blown off. No thanks. So I see much fewer complaints about kimber than the others, so I'm probably going with them.

Now, should it be a classic stainless or a pro carry II stainless? I'm not too concearned with concealment. I do want to become proficient with the pistol and will sign up for concealed carry classes. My question is are these two pistols comparable to each other? If I really get into this and decide to try some local competitions will one of the pistols leave me at a disadvantage? Also, are my assumptions correct about the quality of the other manufacuters? The reason I ask is I really want 3 dot sights, which the kimber does not come with, but the para and the springfield do.

Thanks for your help
Allen

·
Administrator
72,095 Posts
Since when have Springfields been blowing up? Can you provide a link to the info? That's a new one on me. BTW there's nothing wrong with the LDA either, it's just that your particular gunsmith doesn't like them. Pick the one that you like the most feature-wise, and which has the best feel. They're all good, trust me.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Personally I wouldn't count out any of the above ones you mentioned. I personally have heard many more bad things about Kimbers than good, but I would still buy one in the future to try for myself. Shop around and try them all until you find one that fits you and your needs.

------------------
The path of the rightous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish
and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and justice
shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truely his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children and I will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brother and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengence upon thee

·
Registered
203 Posts
There is always a rotten apple in the bunch. All are good guns, I like kimber myself. I have the Compact SS Aluminum, great firearm, not a single problem yet. Buy what you like, you have to shoot it. Lemons are out there, you can't call em all junk because of one or two bad ones. Happy shootin

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't care for aluminum in a 1911 so I personally do not like the pro carry. I do not know of any problems with them, or reliability issues, or anything of the sort, just my personal preference for steel. I recently bought a Kimber classic non-stainless and it shoots very well. I would guess the stainless model would shoot just as well, but I got a reasonable deal on the non-stainless model.

I had a 2001 Springfield loaded stainless that had the slide break in two. Here is a link to the thread that had several incidents of this happening:

Sonething I'd thought I'd never see...

Here are two photos I took of my slide right after I got home after it broke.

broken springfield stainless slide photos

I've never heard of a non-stainless springfield slide problem nor have I heard or a stainless springfield slide problem that was not a 2001 model. Springfield will make it right and they have very good customer service, but you may not want to be without a 45 for the several weeks they take to fix things (that's why I picked up a low end Kimber to tide me over)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Most catastrophic failures can be attributed to double charges, some ammo related problems rather than the pistol itself. I am with Lupey, don't count any of the ones you mentioned out. Yes sometimes it can be the pistol but rarely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input, guys. And thanks to the people who run this board. This place helped me make my decision. I am the happy new owner of a Kimber Classic stainless. Can't wait to fire it. Any suggestions on ammunition?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Kimber Stainless II

My Kimber Stainless II is outstanding. Shoots consistent sub 2 inch groups at 25 yards from sand bag rest. Use 230 gr FMJ LAX AMMO reloads.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I don't care for aluminum in a 1911 so I personally do not like the pro carry. I do not know of any problems with them, or reliability issues, or anything of the sort, just my personal preference for steel. I recently bought a Kimber classic non-stainless and it shoots very well. I would guess the stainless model would shoot just as well, but I got a reasonable deal on the non-stainless model.

I had a 2001 Springfield loaded stainless that had the slide break in two. Here is a link to the thread that had several incidents of this happening:

I've never heard of a non-stainless springfield slide problem nor have I heard or a stainless springfield slide problem that was not a 2001 model. Springfield will make it right and they have very good customer service, but you may not want to be without a 45 for the several weeks they take to fix things (that's why I picked up a low end Kimber to tide me over)
Maybe it's just on my end, but the links did not work.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You should be able to swap sights without going to extravagant expense to do so. If I liked the rest of the gun, I wouldn't let non-preferred sights be a hold up, especially on a 1911 or Glock.

·
Registered
413 Posts

I think I found one of your photos on another forum...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
My choices would be Colt & Kimber in that order. Forget all the Kimber bashing it's just that I've got two friends who use them for defense with no complaints. I've shot several & like them.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
This is interesting? Too hot of a ammo? I have auto’s but I love revolvers.

The bargain basement SA, AO, colt and norinco serve me well.

·
Registered
413 Posts
This is interesting? Too hot of a ammo?
I'll let the mechanical engineering or materials experts here chime in since I know just enough to be hazardous, but from the crystalline appearance of the fracture surface, I would think the steel was too brittle.. maybe due to hydrogen embrittlement? That can cause steel to fail very quickly due to mechanical shock.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Probably because those are 18 year old links.

I was reading the OP and thinking "man, a Para LDA, who's looking at one of those these days?" Then I noticed the date and the post made some more sense.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Another trivia tidbit...

I've been a forum member for almost 10 years, and the OP's last post on the forum was five years before I joined.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts