1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
A lot of ya don't understand the problem. The ONLY inhouse solution would be to raise the temperature.

Anytime you take a cool object out into a warmer more humid environment you're going to get condensation on the cooler object. Just like a glass of ice water sweating.

OP,

You can either preheat the firearm or just use something like Renaissance wax on it. I have the same problem here in north Texas.

Renaissance wax works very well for me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
A lot of ya don't understand the problem. The ONLY inhouse solution would be to raise the temperature.

Anytime you take a cool object out into a warmer more humid environment you're going to get condensation on the cooler object. Just like a glass of ice water sweating.

OP,

You can either preheat the firearm or just use something like Renaissance wax on it. I have the same problem here in north Texas.

Yep. Easiest solution is to tote your gun a few minutes before leaving, it will warm up quick.

One thing about condensation - it's not like sweat with some salt content, so it's not going to be as corrosive as salty sweat. It should evaporate or absorb into your clothing after the gun warms up, even with the humidity, so I wouldn't fret much.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sounds like you’re storing guns in foam lined cases. If you are, that’s not a good practice. If not, good.

This stuff is a good metal preservative. Try spraying this stuff on your stored guns and leaving them in plastic bags in their cases.

Cases trap in moisture. Humidity will absorb right into the padding.
I use a similar product, also made by CRC called SP400 corrosion inhibitor. We use it for exposed shafts, carbon steel parts, etc. It is kind of like cosmoline and I do use it on my Stainless/carbon steel frames/slides when storing them. Since it takes me a while to build one, I stock up on several frames and slides at a time then store them with a good coat of SP400. I also use it when storing cutting tools for a long time, it does a good job.

I'll pick some of the 3-36 and try it out. If it has similar properties to SP400 but is thinner then I definitely have uses for it.

Move to Arizona
Lol, yea I know. That would be the ultimate solution. I like AZ I've worked there in the past. But WV is my home, I'll just have to deal with the weather as I always have, lol...

I'm going to get some of the Renaissance Wax and try it out too. It sounds like a good product. Thanks for all the replies you all have given me several ideas to try out.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Just a quick thought on silicone clothes. I have many of them and “refresh” them with additional silicone quite often. Just getting ready for a week long shooting trip and all my guns, those being taken and those staying in the safe, got a wipe down with a silicone cloth refreshed with additional silicone. My gun bag silicone cloth also got a fresh spray of additional silicone.

I don’t have as much problem leaving the house as I do coming back in after a long range trip in humid weather. Normally wipe down my gun(s) with a microfiber cloth before leaving the range and then another wipe down with a silicone cloth. The bagged guns stay in their bags until they reach inside temps and are then taken out.

My carry guns are IWB holstered a bit before I leave the house to get to body temp rather quickly and I have not had an issue but then I’m not in Florida or Texas, either.

I know some have commented in other threads that silicone on the guns can make them slippery but I have never found that to be an issue. Most of my guns are blued and more susceptible to rusting. My only issue has ever been the grip safety after leaving the range and not doing a proper wipe down but nothing serious that caused lasting issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to stop it. Keep them well oiled, I also wipe the exterior down with mineral oil every couple months "odorless".

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just wanted to throw this out there and get some feedback on what you all do to try and combat condensation on guns? What is happening is, I keep my guns indoors in an air conditioned home, like I assume most of us do. Where I live, it's common to have 80%+ humidity every day during the spring and summer months.

Anytime I want to take a gun outside the house, the condensation literally pours off of them. Keeping them in safe helps somewhat, but there's a few I keep out for ease of access. 60 seconds after stepping outside it's like you soaked it with the water hose. Forget about trying to use a scope, they stay fogged up for 20-30min before you can even think about using it.

This is no good, I can't have my guns sweating like a toilet tank every time I need to take it out of the house. I've all but turned the AC off in my house. There has to be a compromise here. I have one pelican case that does a pretty good job, but still the rifle in it sweats when taken outside, just not as bad as the guns I try to keep handy.

Anyone got any tips for this? Short of turning my AC off or storing my guns outside on the porch? I'm thinking there must be some solutions out there I just wanted to throw this out there and see what you all do? I'm surely not the only one that has dealt with this scenario...
Same here with the humidity in NC, I've got a dehumidifier inside of my safe and my hand guns in gun socks

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Just a quick thought on silicone clothes. I have many of them and “refresh” them with additional silicone quite often
David,
Do you mind sharing what you use for that?

Thanks!

My carry guns are IWB holstered a bit before I leave the house to get to body temp rather quickly and I have not had an issue but then I’m not in Florida or Texas, either.
Same here, and I also keep guns going to the range in the bag while I head there- allows them to warm up slowly in route. I also keep them in the range bag when returning home, unless I'm cleaning right then.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
image.jpg

This is what I use, could be better products out there and I think I bought it at Lowe’s. Originally bought it to occasionally spray on the outside of my rubber Thumler‘s container so it doesn’t stick to the outer steel drum (Thumler’s recommendation to use a spray silicone).

I would guess that I’ve been using it for three years or more, still the same can and still almost full.

Reactions: PEF

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't have AC throughout the home, but I do keep desiccant packets in my safes, storage cases, ammo boxes and range bag. The humidity here in Central Ohio can be brutal at times and I've found that these do help.

·
Registered
152 Posts
View attachment 611905

This is what I use, could be better products out there and I think I bought it at Lowe’s. Originally bought it to occasionally spray on the outside of my rubber Thumler‘s container so it doesn’t stick to the outer steel drum (Thumler’s recommendation to use a spray silicone).

I would guess that I’ve been using it for three years or more, still the same can and still almost full.
Never thought of "refreshing" the silicone rag. Good idea.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Exactly why all guns are left in the car when hunting, scopes do not fog, condensation much less, load the car the night before….or so..as you can. At work I have to leave binoculars outside to be able to use them.
Costal Texas. Pretty humid.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
+1. Ren Wax is seriously good stuff and you'll find plenty of other things to use it on, even if you decide not to use it for this application. One can will also last you forever so don't let the price scare you away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm curious if installing a dehumidifier in my ductwork for the central AC may help? I am going to pick up a room dehumidifier for my bedroom and give that a try. This condensation is seriously cramping my style...
Your AC is a dehumidifier. Better solution is to warm the gun up before going outside. I have rods in my safes that raise the temp slightly to prevent condensation and rust in the safe.

As for a 20 degree temp change, the laws of nature are pretty firmly rooted. Cold steel will cause moisture to condense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to throw this out there and get some feedback on what you all do to try and combat condensation on guns? What is happening is, I keep my guns indoors in an air conditioned home, like I assume most of us do. Where I live, it's common to have 80%+ humidity every day during the spring and summer months.

Anytime I want to take a gun outside the house, the condensation literally pours off of them. Keeping them in safe helps somewhat, but there's a few I keep out for ease of access. 60 seconds after stepping outside it's like you soaked it with the water hose. Forget about trying to use a scope, they stay fogged up for 20-30min before you can even think about using it.

This is no good, I can't have my guns sweating like a toilet tank every time I need to take it out of the house. I've all but turned the AC off in my house. There has to be a compromise here. I have one pelican case that does a pretty good job, but still the rifle in it sweats when taken outside, just not as bad as the guns I try to keep handy.

Anyone got any tips for this? Short of turning my AC off or storing my guns outside on the porch? I'm thinking there must be some solutions out there I just wanted to throw this out there and see what you all do? I'm surely not the only one that has dealt with this scenario...
I Keep firearms I need to access quickly in a gun cabinet ( not safe) with a goldenrod, an electrified heating wand inside which keeps the cabinet interior and guns warmer and humidity lowered. Just keep cabinet unlocked ,so you can quickly grab what you need and shut the door. Take gun outside quickly do not let it stay in the air-conditioning or it will quickly cool off. I also keep a goldenrod in gun safe to keep it dry inside. Have to drill a small hole in safe to run power cord for golden rod.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Indoors, outdoors, winter, summer, it's all one 3-part problem: If we have
COLD metal in CONTACT with HUMID air, we will get condensation and rust.​
We must address as many of the 3 problems as we can.

1 Cold metal - We should store the metal in as warm a spot as we can. Placing a golden rod safe heater may help a little, but they're not really warm enough to keep the metal warm enough for when it's moved outside. They're only warm enough to keep the safe's air a few degrees above the room's temperature. Good during storage, useless during relocation to a condensing environment.

2 Contact We use a layer of oil or silicone or cosmoline, etc. to reduce contact with moisture. It doesn't eliminate the condensation from happening, but keeps it off the metal surface by a few molecules' thickness.
A pistol can be put into a zip-loc bag while in the cold indoors, and then be taken outside in summer. Let the pistol warm up while in the bag, and the plastic will keep the condensation from Contact with the metal until the metal has warmed up enough that it won't condense moisture. It's harder to seal up a rifle, but placing a rifle in the most airtight case available while in the cool indoors, and keeping it sealed until the rifle has warmed outdoors, will keep the condensation off the metal. Look for a case that's sealed, but not insulated, so the metal can warm as quickly as possible.
The consideration is the same when coming indoors in the winter - put the bag/case on the metal while outdoors in winter, and let the metal warm up indoors while sealed, until the metal is no longer cold enough to condense moisture.

3 Humid: It's tough to affect the outdoor humidity. We must rely on #1 & 2 to control condensation when going outdoors in summer. Storing the metal in dehumidified air indoors has nothing to do with condensation after the metal is taken outdoors.
Indoor humidity can be somewhat controlled with desiccant in the safe, but desiccants get saturated pretty quickly, and then don't help anymore.
Placing a goldenrod heater in the safe is intended to raise the air temperature in the safe a few degrees so the moisture won't condense. That heater is intended to keep the air warm, not to heat metal. We shouldn't put really cold metal in the safe even with a safe heater in place. Much better to let the metal get to room temperature while sealed in a bag/case before placing it in the safe.

I knew that engineering education would come in handy someday!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I live in East North Carolina. I keep my guns well oiled and store them in a locked closet. I removed the insulation over the closet (floor of attic). The attic is very hot and dry. Greatly reduces any issues with condensation. If you keep any guns in a case, oil the inside of the case and leave it partially unzipped/open so that air can circulate/moisture escape. Check your guns once a week or so.

·
Registered
26 Posts

This is a dew point issue. Air in house is cold and dry from the AC. Gun is cold too. When cold gun is taken outside and exposed to hot and humid air condensation occurs because the guns' temperature is below the dew point. Try putting the cold gun inside a ziploc bag before taking it outside. Allow the bagged gun to warm up before removing it from the bag. If the gun temperature is now above the dew point your problem should be solved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seems like the only "hassle free" way around this issue would be to keep your safe heated, and that's only if you keep all your guns in there and not in some other quicker access locations. New Jersey has horrendous gun laws so I can't legally just walk out my backdoor and plink away or eliminate nuisance creatures. I normally use a golden rod which raises the temp about 3 degrees from room temp and keeps humidity in the 40%. I did however do an experiment that may solve the issue, with a few catches;
1. You have to store whatever gun you plan on running out the backdoor with in the safe
2. You need some spare room in your safe for a heater
3. You need some splurge money ($250+ depending on size of the safe)

I used a heater made to heat industrial control panels, which is designed to prevent condensation of all things. My safe lives in my 67 degree 50% RH basement. The golden rod typically raises the temp to 70 with RH in the mid 40s. Its a 24 gun safe that is fireproof and waterproof to 24". I quickly slapped this spare heater in and let it cook for roughly 24hrs. I was impressed with the results, now I just wish Jersey offered more opportunity to take advantage of them. I don't think you'd have a problem keeping the safe temperature above high level dew points.

Safe with only golden rod

Heater is the silver thing mounted on the center vertical divider

Results from the heater

I don't know if that will be practical for anyone but it is a way to do it.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts