1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK heres the problem. Remember in Butch Casidy and the Sundance Kid when the old guy asked sundance to shoot and he couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. THen he said he had to move and then was taking the wings off flies at 20 yards. I am experiencing something similer. Slow fire high concentration on a HK international training division target, bad guy picture, I'm all over the place. When I shoot fast and on the move like charging the target like a room entry scenario, I'm consistantly putting a 3 inch, two to the chest and one right between the eyes! How the hell am I getting an accurate shot while moving and going fast but sucking wind when concentrating and going slow?! Shot anticipation maybe??? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

------------------
George Orwell: "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

·
Registered
271 Posts
Weird,

I'm sort of the same way. I went to my first Action Pistol match last Saturday and shot even better than I did shooting from one spot on a regular range. I only missed the "hit zone" twice on two stages and I'm missing by 1-2 inches at most. All my head shots were hitting the hit zone (about 2"X5" rectangle) from about 10 yards. Granted it's not a timed event, but it's still under pressure + shooting from different positions + tactical reloads and I shot better than I do in a normal range.

------------------
~ ScorpioVI
http://tacticalpursuits.com

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I shoot better in a Yaqui shoot - which calls for a certain amount of movement - than I shoot at a target. I'm not sure why.

(A long time ago, I had a fictionalized book on Robin Hood. One of his Merry Men took too long aiming and missed a shot. Robin said, "Overcare spilleth the milk." Maybe that's it.)

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Originally posted by jpwright:
Robin said, "Overcare spilleth the milk." Maybe that's it.)

Me liketh thath quothe! :)

------------------
~ ScorpioVI
http://tacticalpursuits.com

·
Registered
479 Posts
I`m the very same way, i am always better at rapid fire defensive shooting than having all the time in the world.. If i have time to think about it, to many things creep in my mind.. I`m actually glad i`m this way, i wouldn`t want it the other way around.. Don`t think about it, just do it.. -Gilmore

------------------
ME,WE!

·
Registered
322 Posts
What exactly is the problem? It seems that feeling confident about one's ability to effectively engage while under pressure or movement would be a good thing.

And I'm not sure I agree with your analogy. Sundance did not need to "move" like you or the other posters are talking about. He just had to shoot like he practiced: by bending his knees and shooting from the hip. I don't remember any actual movement.

But I agree that this appears to be an instinct vs. brain phenomenon. When moving, you don't allow yourself the luxury of over-thinking the shot, rather you simply allow yourself to shoot instinctively. Perhaps the answer is to use the same mental technique in your normal practice--by not allowing yourself to overanalyze your target or your shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts