1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the ugly, crude Super Comanche .45Colt/.410 made by Lasserre,SA....can't speak for the same gun labeled Rexio....haven't, and will not, do .45 Colts, as it was bought hoping it worked better than most .410 pistols which seem to limited to 12 feet range or less....this one has a rifled barrel, which generally means blown patterns like all the rest....but it comes equipped with an externally threaded straight-rifled wad grabbing/stripping choke tube.....folks, this is a real shotgun....

In short, the ugly Super Comanche shoots as good or better than any .410 I've owned....

a handfull of really experienced regulars were at the range today, and all were VERY impressed and intrigued with what they saw...I'll go as far as to say several were going to buy one....this gun hammers stuff....it rolls empty 12ga boxes, gallon milk jugs and tin cans with authority at a full 25yds, moves them like a 12ga, only the pattern isn't as large diameter...

sights well regulated for the shotloads, so no guessing....at a measured 11yds, it puts 100% of the pellets into a 13" circle, 99% inside 10"....at 25yds it puts nearly 100% inside a 20" circle, the bulk of them in a 13" dense core with only silver-dollar sized gaps....trigger pull is heavy, but who cares with a shotgun? Clean release, just a bit stout....

whether 2.5" 1300fps 1/2oz #8 target loads, or 3" 1135fps 11/16th oz #7.5 field loads, patterns remained consistant, only denser with the field loads.....recoil was progressive, on par with NMBH .45Colt standard loads for the target stuff, the ROA with maximum ball loads equiv. to the field loads......fun stuff, in other words....

but very effective.....in our rattlesnake infested woods, I can now see why timber crews are buying them, boaters and bank fishermen also, as where there's water there's moccassins.....this is a very useful tool for here....'round these parts, we run over rattlers while mowing....my neighbor across the street did so five times last year.

If you ever wanted a short barreled shotgun of Game Getter usefulness, you might look at this one....

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Thanks for the report! I've seen those on occasion and kinda wondered. Sounds like it might make a good pack/camp gun. Let us know if you try a round of skeet with it.

Amos

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just to be clear, I bought it for hunting and pest control (picture a flashlight in one hand and the gun in the other), living in a very undeveloped rural setting, and this gun is definitely up to typical max .410 ranges of 25-30yds...I'm quite sure it will cleanly harvest rabbit and squirrel at such ranges, and would ruin a coyote or crow's day at 30yds....never thought I'd say this about a .410 handgun, but you need to let game get further away than 10-15yds if you intend to eat what you shoot....

A few other details of the gun...it's 100% steel aside from grips and forearm....looks to be all cast aside from the barrel tube and choke tubes (a smooth one for .45 Colt)....the frame/grip area/trigger guard are a single casting, likewise the chamber/rear sight mount into which the barrel is sleeved, even the extra beefy adjustable sights and blades....the grip panels and forearm are solid black nylon with a few shallow lightening holes/divots.....I ditched the heavy forearm, it being attached by a single screw to a brazed on barrel stud....the gun is about 1/2-3/4" longer than a 7.5"bbl SAA, and drops right in a Colt holster (minus the forearm, anyhow), but extra length might not let a top flap close....it's about 7/8ths" thick, and handles essentially like a Colt 1861....the grip/hammer/trigger are very Rugerish....hammer and bolt springs are coil...

It's crudely made but looks very solid....I wish I could buy a US-made all steel inexpensive gun like this, instead of plastic trigger groups and stampings, but we've got a standard of living around here, pal!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the same vein, but to hijack my own thread, I bought this week, for a fast $35, an ugly Cobray/EtCetera/Leinad/FMJ .45Colt/.410 singleshot derringer, mainly as I hadn't seen them around in a while and wanted the paperweight....ended up shooting the thing, and not only did it not blow up in my hand, but it probably works better than published reviews of new .410 revolvers.....probably due to lack of effective rifling, only 3/4" of it, shallowest I've ever seen, probably cast in.....

Until it shoots loose(r) or a sideplate cracks, there's not much to go wrong....fixed Colt-type cone firing pin, hammer powered by a compressed coil spring....the crossbolt safety is a two-handed fiddly affair, slow and awkward....much faster is the hammer down on an inverted fired .22LR case, which dumps out on cocking...

Probably won't waste much effort/ammo in patterning, but when test-fired at a 12-can fridge-pack box 7ft away, it put over 50 #7.5 pellets from a 2.5" shell through the box....both barrel and hole are larger in diameter than what a Redhawk has....very menacing, and looks like it ought to be lit by a fuse....it's about 1/2" shorter than a 1 7/8ths"bbl J-frame, about the same weight, and under an inch thick.....in short, it has its uses....would work on a snake, and would wager one of these fired in an assailant's face would be cause for an immediate end of hostilities.....cheap fun......

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been planning on buying two new pistols. A TRP Operator and some sort of 410/45 pistol. I am between Taurus Judge,Thunder Five,or a Super Comanche.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fully rifled Judge shoots .45 Colt suprisingly well, considering the freebore of the .410 chamber, but patterns dismally past 10ft with shot....the Thunder 5 is needlessly huge, doesn't shoot the Colt all that well, and patterns dismally with shot....the SC patterns shot wonderfully with the .410 choke, probably will shoot suprisingly well with the Colt and the .45 "choke"/thread protector installed (since the Judge does, also), but is limited to single shot....the SC is longer, but is the lightest and trimmest of the three....it all depends on what you want it for.....survival/hiking/hunting, the SC is clearly superior....anti-carjacking, even the lowly Cobray would blind/maim a single assailant....self-protection carry, get real and look at the size of those revolvers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Super Cammache

I really like mine it does what I purchased it for, small rodents on my farm. I have a problem with the rounds not extracting could this be the ammo. I have not fired it as a .45 just 410. Could anyone give me some insite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts