1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Can any of you tell me about the Colt "Super Lightweight Commander". It looks to be a Series 80 gun, but from closer to the beginning of the updates.
As I'm sure you can figure out, the gun is a Lightweigh Commander in 38 Super. It's blue, with pretty nice wood grips. Serial number is "SUPER XXX". I'm assuming by the "XXX" that there was a limited run in this "SUPER" range seeing as the number wasn't "XXXX".

Any info on this gun would be appreciated, including approximate value. It could easily be rated in the 95-98% range. I'm hoping that you guys say it's worth what the owner wants so I can justify it's purchase. Thanks a bunch!!!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I dont know that there is anything special about it except it may be as you say an early series 80. The 38 Super is a fine cartridge and I wish I had one. Colt made more of the Supers in the full size Government model than the Commander. Tell us the asking price and I promise someone will tell you what they think.

Lightweight means the frame is aluminum to obviously reduce the weight of the gun. At one time some slides were machined to reduce the weight even more, I dont know if this one fits that catagorey but I really dont think so.

[This message has been edited by Ken Neal (edited 06-15-2001).]

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'm wondering if all light weight Commanders in 38 Super were so marked, or if this was done for a certain distributor or something.

The guy wants $750 for it. Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just bought a pre series 70 lightweight commander in 38 super. The frame is marked commander model and serial # ends in LW.It is in 99% condition and I paid $650. It is a beautiful handgun.
westendg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Stokes, I'd guess this is a Lew Horton gun, due to the serial number, or some other special run of gun for another distributor. LH does that often with Colt and Smith guns.
Definitely a rare gun.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The problem is that Colt does so many of these limited runs. That gun is probably a limited run of 500. Then, 6 months later, they probably did a run of LW Commander Supreme's or something. :)

What features the gun has will determine it's true value. Is it hi-polish? Night sights?
Otherwise 750 seems high for a 95-98 % gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts