1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other then the cosmetic aspects I'm not clear on the functional and accuracy difereences between the Gold Match and Super Match. They both claim to have match grade barrels and triggers. What am I missing?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I think the Super Match comes in .38 Super (someone correct me if I'm wrong here). A buddy of mine is awaiting his Kimber .38 Super and has been blown off for close to a month now. He has a match coming up and is rather upset about it. I told him to get a Colt!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Inspector,
The Super Match can be had in 45 acp.

The main differences are 3" 50 yd group on Super Match and bells and whistles such as front strap checkering and other cosmetic stuff. For that kind of coin, I would seriously look into the semi-custom builders
(aka Baer, RRA, and Wilson).

------------------

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Thanx for the correction, oldcolt. I was mistaken. Yes, as you said... A real gun can be had for the kind of script they're demanding out of this one. My Kimber nightmare is almost over as I have finally taken the plunge and listed the damn thing on the 'net. I'm getting what I should have gotten in the first place... A WILSON!!
Problem is, I've got all kinds of tool steel parts on the way from Brownells that I ordered when I planned on keeping the Kimber. I wonder what their policy is on returns?

Can't wait for the Classic to arrive. Even got a Dillon coming in the mail so I can REALLY test drive the new gun, the way Wilson intended!

Stay well,
Callahan

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I've got all kinds of tool steel parts on the way from Brownells that I ordered when I planned on keeping the Kimber. I wonder what their policy is on returns?

Stay well,
Callahan[/B]
I'm sure you can unload them some where. My goldmatch could use some replacement parts. Email me if you can't cancel the order at [email protected] I may help lighten your load if you have some of the things I'm looking for. good luck to you! Congratulations on the Wilson

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a Gold Match that can shoot 3" groups at 50 yards. Mine came with a spherical bushing. Recent literature put out by Kimber does not say if this bushing is still used. This gun has very tight tolerance especially in the chamber area. It is picky to the ammo it wants to eat...meaning my reloads. New brass or next to new feed fine..but if I use brass that has been used 3-4 times, they have problems feeding into the chamber. Once I dialed the sights in on the Kimber it outshoots (accuracy) my Wilson (fixed sights and guaranteed 1" @ 25 yards).

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Sure thing bro. Got a Wilson "bulletproof" firing pin and extractor coming, got an arched MSH coming (an el-cheapo made by Mansen). Got an Infinity trigger with interchangeable shoes coming along with the short shoe (only). Let's see... That's all I can think of right off hand.

If Brownells hassles me about wanting to return the stuff, I'll give you a buzz.

Thanks,
Callahan

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hi all!

Actually...the Gold Match is available in .38 Super...maybe that's the difference...LOL

DoubleD
Download the "specifications" .pdf on Kimber's website...it'll show you all the differences...although subtle I believe.

Since my new, replacement Super Match is on it's way...I'm going to give it another chance. Aesthetically speaking, I think it is by far the best looking 1911 on the market (IMHO...). If I can shoot "Bella II" as good as she looks...I'll keep her (her predecessor was Bella
). If not, I'm looking into the Gold Match (and a Browning HP in .40 S&W or possibly Rock River, for back up).

------------------
"run like hell...you'll just die tired."

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hey, I didn't say the Gold Match isn't capable of 3" groups at said distance. I am saying that one of Kimber's selling points on the Super Match is 3" groups at 50 yds. Kimber guarantees it with the Super Match. Not so on the Gold Match.

------------------

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
oh...just one more thing... (yeah, right!)

The Super Matches...that Kimber advertises THREE separate times, on that particular page, to be guaranteed to shoot a 3" group at 50-yards...are being shipped with 25-yard test targets! and mine was crap! Here it is for your viewing pleasure...

And this is a direct quote from my letter accompanying my SM back to Kimber:

"Also, enclosed please find a copy of the bill of sale, as requested, and a copy of the test target sent with this pistol. I enclosed the copy of the target for two reasons. First, my initial reaction when I saw the incredibly poor grouping was extreme disappointment. This was shot from a bench rested position? I can shoot circles around this with your Classic model offhand! I would expect a far more accurate target packaged with the Super Match.

Then, I noticed that, not only was it a horrible group…the group was shot at twenty-five yards! Your advertisement specifically states that the Super Match is tested at fifty yards and I quote your website:

“Every Super Match pistol is tested for accuracy and is guaranteed to have
shot a fifty-yard group measuring three inches or less. The actual test target is packaged with each pistol.”
“Each Super Match is guaranteed to have shot a fifty-yard group of less than three inches.”
“Tested for accuracy, the Super Match must shoot a fifty-yard group measuring less than three inches, and the test target is packaged with each pistol.”
In my opinion, this is blatant false advertisement. An explanation from Kimber for the discrepancy is Kimber implements a “mathematical equation” to justify the twenty-five versus fifty-yard target. That is completely unacceptable and I would like to request an actual fifty-yard target with a group measuring less than three inches, shot from my pistol, and returned with it. I would hope and expect that Kimber can accommodate this request."

Just wanted to b*tch some more

------------------
"run like hell...you'll just die tired."

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sniper,
I have a little story for you. Speaking of false claims: Kimber Claims the Gold Match is "Match ready right out of the box". Wrong, I did everything (tuned extractor, changed magazines, throated and polished barrel, changed recoil springs, rechecked extractor tension with gauges) and none of it worked. I gave up at the 1,000 round mark. I still couldn't get through a single mag without a failure. Thinking it could be me (although I have 2 45's that have never experienced a failure of any type)
I let our resident Master class shooter take it for a spin, same results. I used only factory ammo by Federal, Speer, and Blazer nothing worked. I didn't send the gun back to Kimber. By that point I was too frustrated to even keep the gun. Does that mean that Kimber doesn't build good guns? Obviously not or they wouldn't be in business. There are way too many warranty claims from ALL of the major manufacturers. Every firearm company should have a QC department that takes the time to go through each weapon BERFORE it is shipped out.

------------------

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've looked at the Kimber web site and it looks to me like the barrel and trigger for the Gold Match and Super Match are the same. So is it that Kimber theoreticaly takes more time on the Super Match in order to quarantee the accuracy albeit suspect. I'm a recent new owner of the Gold Match and although I haven't tested for groups at 50 yds it is the most accurate pistol I've ever shot. It functions flawlessly with all my reloads as long as I crimp them enough.
Sniper, I've used a BHP-40 as a my primary carry piece for four years now and I don't think you'd be sorry with that choice.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
oldcolt
I agree with you completely. I haven't given up on the SM yet though, because here is one of my "test targets" shot isoscles position from 25 yrds...(don't let Kimber know!
). But as more functional problems arose...I stuck with metal plates until it just wouldn't fire safely anymore.

DoubleD
My 'smith carries a BHP with a bit of his own custom work...I loved it!

[This message has been edited by Sniper (edited 09-11-2001).]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Other then the cosmetic aspects I'm not clear on the functional and accuracy difereences between the Gold Match and Super Match. They both claim to have match grade barrels and triggers. What am I missing?
Thanks.
Differences: a) The price and; b) which one has less FTF, FTEs etc, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts