1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I had a S-T I wasnt shooting as much as I should, and was a little bored over the weekend, I decided to just shoot my S-T until she starts to quit. No real reason other than I wanted to see how many rounds I could fire before it started to malfunction.

Here's the pistol at the start of the "test":

Other side:

The test criteria:
1. Ammunition is 200g LSWC (Lasercast/Missouri Bullet), loaded to 1.230 OAL, taper crimped to 0.469; 4.8g Bullseye; mixed brass; mixed LP primers (I take what I can get).
2. Pistol will be fired for accuracy at the start of the test, and when FTF/FTE starts, and then post cleaning.
3. No additional lubricant or cleaning will be done. The pistol was detail stripped and cleaned prior to start. It was lubricated correctly with oil and grease where appropriate.

Test started last night, when the first problem showed up: I got to the range and forgot to bring the ammo!!!:bawling:
So a slight modification: the first 8 rounds (and only 8 thus far) were fired using 230g Gold Dots. The rest will be the above load.

8 rounds and counting!

I am guessing I can get to 2k before it malfunctions. Any takers?

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
I won't bet against it. I met by buddy with his new Custom Carry Saturday and he put 450 rounds through it with nary a glitch. It could have gone on for days. He would have kept going but ran out of ammo as he had bought 500 rounds of WWB and wanted to keep 50. Report back when you reach 5,000:biglaugh:..................TW

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
For got to bring the ammo.

I laughed a good bit when I read that! :biglaugh:

I was going to try and do the same thing yesterday with my CCC but found I only had 32 rounds. Yup, 4 mags thats it. I need to reload and get to shooting too!

We can have a competition to see which goes farther before needing a cleaning. My hard chrome CC commanche and your S-T.

Who else to join in??

(Not Matt he shoots too much anyway! )

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For got to bring the ammo.

I laughed a good bit when I read that! :biglaugh:

I was going to try and do the same thing yesterday with my CCC but found I only had 32 rounds. Yup, 4 mags thats it. I need to reload and get to shooting too!

We can have a competition to see which goes farther before needing a cleaning. My hard chrome CC commanche and your S-T.

Who else to join in??

(Not Matt he shoots too much anyway! )

Chris
Well, because I'm a sick puppy (I'm a Varmint Hunters Club Life Member...:rock:), I think we ought to have a 500 round "Club" (as in 1000 rounds w/o cleaning or failures), a 1000 round club, a 2000 round club, and a 3000 round club here. I got the idea from the VHC (they have a 500 yrd, 1000 yrd, etc "club" for confirmed kills).

ETA: I wasnt laughing last night! :scratch:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Sure. I know some of these jokers go and run 700 rounds down range at one sitting with out cleaning. We'll just have to trust that we're not cleaning between runs.

:)

(some of my guns go months with no cleaning after a use though)

I bet those 1000 yrd varmit shoots are cool!

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure. I know some of these jokers go and run 700 rounds down range at one sitting with out cleaning. We'll just have to trust that we're not cleaning between runs.

:)

(some of my guns go months with no cleaning after a use though)

I bet those 1000 yrd varmit shoots are cool!
I'm not in the 1000yrd club :bawling: My longest shot was ~720yrds (it gets tought to measure little bitty critters that far way...)

500yrds on a prarie dog is pretty cool though.

I trust them enough. Besides, they are being rewarded for being lazy! I'm going to see if I cant get past 500 tonight.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to say failure 1 will be a fail to feed at 2,734.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Going to add the SS TRP to the mix, since I preach the virtures of them so much. Will be located in the SA area.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Going to add the SS TRP to the mix, since I preach the virtures of them so much. Will be located in the SA area.
I eagerly await your results. I have a TRP AK and a LB is in the running for my next 1911.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I routinely run both of my Baers for 500 rounds plus a few with no failures before I clean.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Status Report

Super Tac Sit-Rep:

960 rounds (12 magazine fulls). No failures of any kind.

No sluggishness noted during cycling. Mags used were the original LB mag and 6 WC 47Ds. Overall, after the initial 200 or so rounds, no real accumulation of residue was noted. No "grittiness" was noted at all. 480 rounds were fired in two separate sessions.

Pics to follow.

Side note: Armorycoate TRP report is described in the SA Forum.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Dang, I thought I was doing good putting 105 rounds through my CCC yesterday, :eek: no malfs of any kind either... :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This was two sessions worth :) I find much more than 400 rounds or so is wasted on me at any one time.

Hows the CCC doing?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Actually when I put it in its holster or my back pocket (unloaded) it wipes off all the carbon build up and looks like new again! :biglaugh:

I think in all since I got it I have 600 some rounds through it and only pulled it apart after the first 300.

I do need to put a front night sight on it though, the all black sights are a bit hard to see in some light.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As promissed:

Detail strip and pics to follow at the 1k and 2k marks.

As I said above - thus far, she's running like a fine swiss watch!

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Good report BLR. I like that idea about the 1000 round club. I used to be a member of the varmint hunter but never made the five hundred yard club. My far shot was on a ground hog at 380 yards. Every thing from the eyes up was gone. After the yotes now with a remington 700 bdl in .17 rem. It would be cool to get one with my 1911 though. Sorry about getting off topic but i seen varmint hunting and got excited.:)

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My first PD was with my LB PII (LB22xxx) and Hornady 230g XTPs. FUN!!!:biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts