1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Range Report

Fired 170 rds. 50 S&B, 50 PMC, 50 Wolf, and 20 Silvertips.

Accuracy was good with all brands, with 8 rds making a ragged hole at 7 yards.

Reliability was fine with all brands except Wolf. With the Wolf it was bang, bang – failure to extract, bang – stovepipe, bang, bang, bang – failure to go fully into battery. At least 10 malfunctions in 50 rds. Several times a stuck case had to be knocked out of the chamber. This sucks because I like to use Wolf ammo. My Firestar M45 eats it by the case with narry a hiccup (except those caused by that POS Mecgar mag I have). Perhaps the chamber on the CD would benefit from a polish job???

Wolf problems aside, I am pleased with this pistol and can’t wait to put in the McCormick trigger parts.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
233 Posts
hello akm,i never use wolf ammo. i use cheap armscor ammo. and other brands of ammo as well. wolf use's steel casing's. polishing the chamber wouldnt hurt. give us a report on the wolf ammo after polishing.
my cd eats ammo like cotton candy lol. good luck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have decided I will make no effort to accomodate the crap Wolf ammo. This whole situation got me so worked up that I went down to Dillon Precision and bought an RL 550B and all the associated pieces and accessories to load both 45 and 9mm. I will load my own for less than the cost of Wolf and get alot better ammo to boot.

Not surprisingly I have heard nothing from Wolf in response to the email I sent them.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got my McCormick parts today and installed them. There is a noticeable improvement in the trigger, but it's not "wonderful". I think I'll live with it for now and have my smith tune it later.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
13 Posts
Could you have tuned up the original hammer and sear and achieved the same results or do you think the MCcormick parts were still a good investment?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Browning:
Could you have tuned up the original hammer and sear and achieved the same results or do you think the MCcormick parts were still a good investment?
Well the original trigger isn't adjustable for takeup or overtravel, so I feel the trigger itself was a must. My smith told me that the stock sear and hammer could be tuned up, but that he has done trigger jobs on stock parts before and they sometimes don't last. He's been doing competition and carry trigger jobs on 1911s and other pistols for 30 years so I will trust his word. He charges $80 for the parts and I could get them myself for $42, so I ordered them myself. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try the parts without the trigger job just to see. As I said, it's an improvement, but it's not "great". I've tried the triggers on probably 10 pistols he has done trigger jobs on and they are definately "great" after he gets done with them.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
The trigger question has already been answered (no adjustment available), but the rest of the parts aren't worth the effort. I don't know of anyone who can do anything much with cast parts, at least not and have it last long enough to be worth the price.

I put a Wilson trigger in mine and just polished the rest and used Shooter's Choice gun grease. The trigger pull is better, but I'm going to get all new parts (going to try the CM stuff) to get it right.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I feel the same as WP,replacing hammer and sear along with the trigger, help the trigger pull.polishing would help out as well. i really like the cmc trigger,but i ended up using",King's #301. it has very little creep, befor the hammer fall's. i can tell on my target's,the cluster of bullets tighting up considerbly. it's has proven to be accurate and dependable as well. a quality barrel bushing properly fitted,helps on accuracy as well. good luck and let us know how things work out for you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
when i was running my daly, i completey gutted it. parts i added:

-wilson combat trigger
-nowlin disconnector and pro match sear
-clark 3 leaf sear spring
-wolff 18 lb mainspring and extra pwr firing pin spring
-STI titanium mainspring cap and hammer strut
-chip mccormick hammer... all for under $100. trigger pull was at 2.75 lb. with no over travel.

i also added a tungsten full recoil rod, and a briley spherical barrel bushing.
that gun shot circles around everything i had at the time. averaged 2.5" at 25 yards.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you say "Superior EFS" what exactly do you mean?

I think that is what I just bought.
It says CD Superior 1911-A1
FS two-tone.

If we are talking about the same gun, I love mine. While I am no 1911 guru, it seems to be a fine pistol.
I was looking for a nice 1911 for range duty only, and didn't want to spend a ton of money. From my experience with mil MEUSOC's, I knew that I wanted the extended slide release,extended safety, and extended tail thingy on the back strap.
I was fully expecting to have to add these extras to any new gun, or pick up someones "Shot to hell" custom job. But when I saw this CD it impressed me right off.

Like I said no guru, but no stranger to guns either.
I bought it SAT morning and put 150 rds through it that afternoon. 100 Blazer aluminum, and 50 Golden Saber HPJ 230grn.

It functioned great.

The total was $431 with tax, and the dealer threw in a set of Hogue wrap around grips to sweeten the deal. I had to trim a bit of rubber off the grips to accomidate the extended safety, and because I did it in my truck with a pocket knife, I will most likely be replaceing them and doing a better job on the next set.
Anybody know of a source on Houge wrap around that will already accomidate the extended ambi- safety?

Overall, though this gun will NOT be replaceing my USP 45, I think it is a fine addition to my collection and a fine range gun.

[This message has been edited by Door Kicker (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Door Kicker:
When you say "Superior EFS" what exactly do you mean?
I believe this question was answered in your other thread.

Since my last post I have added a 20-lb hammer spring and #3 mag catch spring. The hammer spring makes a noticeable difference in the trigger pull and still lights the fire reliably. My McCormick disconnector and extractor are on the way. I decided to get the disconnector because my trigger still has some creep with the stock disconnector which I believe will be helped by the McCormick. The extractor is because I am getting 3-4% failure to extract which I hope this will fix.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts