1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I used Boone Trading Company, http://boonetrading.com/. I called them and told them about a project I was doing for my former commanding officer in the 1st Infantry Division in Vietnam. They were great to work with. Here's what they did for me:

It worked out pretty well.

Mike
That is tastefully done. I read your thread on the other site and it made me tear up a bit at the end.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Another shout out to Jim and Nutmeg. Certified African Elephant Ivory. A true pleasure to work with and beautifully made grips.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thought I'd bring this thread back to the top. I found Dan Chinnock via some web searches and was fortunate enough to snag a nice set that he posted up earlier today. Www.danchinnock.com He called to confirm my specific needs (confirm which model, Ambi safety, etc.) and we had a terrific conversation. Grips due to arrive on Tuesday! The following pictures are his, hope he doesn't mind.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Mammoth Ivory Grips

I have spent the last couple of months setting up to make exceptional grips from mammoth tooth. I have a superior method for stabilizing the tooth that adds both strength and beauty. The attention to detail for which I have become known for wood grips is equally applied to my mammoth tooth sets. Until I can prove that these grips will hold up to use on a working gun, they are being sold for exhibition only.

The image is large to show the detail; the closer you look, the better they look.
Contact me via PM or email for more information. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Why don't you aswer your emails? Are you having problems with your web mail? I've emailed you twice about some custom 1911 grips.
well you'll have to forgive me, but my business is a one man show and since I buy all the wood and material, cut it all up for grips, shape and sand all the grips, apply finish to all the grips, package and ship all the grips, deal with the 15 other customers that are ahead of you, run my website and have a personal family life it can sometimes take a couple of days for me to respond to new customers.

two days isn't very long to wait for a reply considering it takes around three weeks for me to make the grips, if you can't have a little patience then I don't want your business.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm sorry. I didn't know you are a one man company. I don't care how long it would take to get them. Your grips look like they're worth the wait.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm sorry. I didn't know you are a one man company. I don't care how long it would take to get them. Your grips look like they're worth the wait.
Both of mine (elk antler & mesquite) were well worth it.

To get anything custom in 3 weeks is pretty amazing. Zane's craftsmanship & service are top shelf.

·
Registered
502 Posts
well you'll have to forgive me, but my business is a one man show and since I buy all the wood and material, cut it all up for grips, shape and sand all the grips, apply finish to all the grips, package and ship all the grips, deal with the 15 other customers that are ahead of you, run my website and have a personal family life it can sometimes take a couple of days for me to respond to new customers.

two days isn't very long to wait for a reply considering it takes around three weeks for me to make the grips, if you can't have a little patience then I don't want your business.
LSCG,

I am NOT trying to be snarky, but I do have a suggestion.

You may want to consider adding some wording to your contact page that addresses this issue. For example: 'It often takes a few days for me to respond to inquiries. Please be patient.'

Bottom Line - not every potential customer is familiar with your situation, and that it may take a couple of days to receive a contact reply. Clear communication will help to establish achievable expectations.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Ivory News

I just received this from Nutmeg Sports.

IVORY NEWS

There has been a lot of talk over the last few months regarding the proposed ivory legislation that the current Administration is trying to put forth. We have been paying close attention to all information, to make sure that we continue to abide by the current laws. There has now been legislation introduced in both the House & the Senate to stop the U.S Fish and Wildlife from from seriously harming millions of Americans by unnecessarily restricting interstate commerce of legal ivory and products containing legal ivory. These bills are named
H.R. 5052 and S. 2587.

CALL or EMAIL your Representative and Senators TODAY and ask them to Co-Sponsor H.R. 5052 and S. 2587

Find out your Senators' and Representative's contact information at http://www.opencongress.org/people/zipcodelookup

At this time all of our voices count. We need to join together to make sure they are all heard.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ivory dealing is now illegal. However, Mastodon or Wooley mammoth ivory is ok and can be differentiated by crosshatch in the grain. I have mammoth ivory if anyone might be interested.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ivory dealing is now illegal. [...]
Please excuse me, but I am confused by this statement and require clarification.

See post #56. Like 'Ecrevisse', I believe elephant ivory legislation is being considered, but that it has not yet been 'finalized/implemented'.

Your post implies that the proposed ban on interstate commerce has already been 'finalized/implemented'. Did I miss something?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Regarding ivory trade: Here is the US Fish & Wildlife Service Website that addresses the Orders and Regulations already in effect and those proposed for implementation this summer.
Brian,

Thanks for the link. :)

If I read your source correctly, there is a legislative proposal that would prohibit interstate sales of elephant ivory. This proposal, however, has not been 'finalized/implemented'. In fact, this proposal could change. See post #56 (i.e., H.R. 5052 and S. 2587).

Bottom Line - Unless I missed something, it is inaccurate to say that "vory dealing is now illegal".

41 - 60 of 91 Posts