1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where does everyone buy their bullets from. I have been searching and found a few suppliers. Anyone have a links to s good bullet supplier?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Good question. I can't get cast bullets reliably at a reasonable price. Demand is up, so price gouging is rampant. Mail order is too expensive for weighty items like bullets.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
About the best deals I have ever found were at Cabela's but they are out of stock on some stuff currently - check the item online using LW- or JH- prefix to get the current catalog sale price - good prices and lowest flat rate shipping charged on the entire order - usually they have coupons for an extra $20-30 off which will take care of shipping and then some

Missouri bullets - good prices - USPS flat rate shipping

Vance bullets - 877-674-4947 good prices from what I saw at the last show he did - I assume he ships USPS flat rate

·
Registered
441 Posts
Mike is about a 45 minute drive from my home. He does ship 70# flat-rate.

http://mastercast.net/ 10% discount on orders of 10k or more, and you can mix/match bullets/weights.

You can call or e-mail to check on availability before ordering.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Have you checked their prices lately? Cabelas almost doubled the price of their Laser Casts a week ago.
Yes, pretty much all of the regular prices of components went up on Jan. 7. If you just go their site and search for Lasercast, you will get their REGULAR prices. That's why I said to look up the item you want using the LW- or JH- prefix to get the sale prices.

Once you have the item number you want (ex: IH-213648 Lasercast 200 LSWC .45 now $98.99/K), replace the first two letters with LW- or JH- and re-search for it (ex: JH-213648 Lasercast 200 LSWC .45 sale $56.99/K). That will get you the SALE prices out of their latest shooting gear catalog, which are still the same as they were last week. (Please note: I have no idea how long the catalog sale prices will last.)

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I like this guy for cast bullets, be sure to check his specials.

http://www.pennbullets.com/
Is there something I'm missing about Penn bullets?

I tried to order 25K 200gr LSWC's from Penn last year and just couldn't make it work. I even considered bumping the order to 50K to see if that would help, but the best price they gave me per K at the time was still higher than Cabela's was and the $10-11 shipping charge for every 2K or so bullets just made it worse.

I see the specials now show 200gr LSWC's for $57/K (same as Cabela's sale price), but it looks like the free shipping offer doesn't apply to the special sale prices.

For a small order of say 2K bullets, Penn (or Missouri or Vance or any other small caster with decent prices) would be the way to go as the total delivered price would end up basically the same as Cabela's, and the small caster more than likely has the bullets in stock, unlike Cabela's. But, on a larger order of say 25K bullets, USPS flat rate shipping can easily run over $100 (10+ boxes of 2K+ bullets each at $10-11/box). Unless you're getting a better price per K on the large order, you're essentially giving up 2K extra bullets to pay for the $100+ in shipping.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The last time I talked to Penn he was very helpful in getting me the max amount of wgt per $ shipped. I believe at the time I was looking at 1000 200 gr SWC and he told me I could ship up to 2200 for the same price. You might want to call and see if there is any way he can help with your shipping a larger order.

·
Registered
191 Posts
berrymfg. for plated. I can pick them up locally for about 70/1k.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Isn't there a sticky on this topic thread already?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yes, pretty much all of the regular prices of components went up on Jan. 7. If you just go their site and search for Lasercast, you will get their REGULAR prices. That's why I said to look up the item you want using the LW- or JH- prefix to get the sale prices.

Once you have the item number you want (ex: IH-213648 Lasercast 200 LSWC .45 now $98.99/K), replace the first two letters with LW- or JH- and re-search for it (ex: JH-213648 Lasercast 200 LSWC .45 sale $56.99/K).
Yeah, the old codes apparently still work but the bullets are on back order. In fact, I ordered 4K in Dec. and got free shipping. The question now is whether Cabelas will honor the price and actually ship them. Fortunately, they don't charge your credit card until the order has shipped so it really cost you nothing to try...$56.99 per thousand 200gr. SWC is a smoking deal considering their regular prices have almost doubled.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I'm currently loading Meister 200g LSWC. I used to load Berry's plated 230g RN, but they have priced themselves out of the market in recent months.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Yeah, the old codes apparently still work but the bullets are on back order. In fact, I ordered 4K in Dec. and got free shipping. The question now is whether Cabelas will honor the price and actually ship them. Fortunately, they don't charge your credit card until the order has shipped so it really cost you nothing to try...$56.99 per thousand 200gr. SWC is a smoking deal considering their regular prices have almost doubled.
Keep in mind, they are not "old codes". They are item codes for "sale prices" in one of their specialty catalogs. The LW-prefix was from the Fall 2007 Shooters Guide. I don't have any of their catalogs in front of me right now, but the JH-prefix is probably out of their latest shooting sale catalog.

The regular prices you get when you just search for an item on their website by name tend to just be their regular prices (for the masses).

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I did this back in December when I ordered 2000 of the 45-200gr SWC. They were listed on back-order at the time of my order. I received the first shipment of 1000 near the end of December, and just got a UPS tracking number email for the second half of the shipment.

Yesterday I went back to the sight, used the "JH" prefix and ordered another 2000 bullets (shown as "on back-order", just like my earlier order) at the $54/1000 sale price. The current "non-sale" price is $92/1000. :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts