1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are Sure Fire flashlights that put out 500 or more lumens and can severely dazzle a human. Those flashlights are still large and expensive. Would anyone have reccomendations on which smaller Sure Fire flashlight (or other maker for that matter) would have the ability to dazzle an opponent reasonably?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I don' think that you should view tactical flashlights as a means of defense. At best, a flashlight may temporarily blind someone for a half-second (however, that may be all the time you need), but a bright flashlight is primarily used for target identification. They are not as incapacitating as the hype would lead you to believe.

That said, they are an important tool which should be used with good gun handling ability in low-light situations.

I would recommend the Z2 (newer version of 6Z) or the M2. While not the brightest light that Surefire offers, they are compact and easily manipulated with one hand, and a gun in the other. They put out standard 65 lumens, and the lamp assemblies of either can be upgraded to 120 lumens.

Please note that lumens does not reflect the "quantity" of light, but is more a measure of its quality or purity. The 120 lumen high-output lamp is NOT twice as bright as the 65 lumen lamp, but the overall quality of light is more white, and the beam diameter is slightly increased.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
-0- None they don't exist.

You are looking for a way to get hurt with this train of thought...Move to something else...Either a weapon or none...This is a tool for seeing...that's all...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
You might look at the Executive 2. It all depends on how small you mean. I just picked one up for about $60 and it's very impressive. It claims 60 lumens and it's about the length of a pen with a 1 inch diameter. It also sports a nice clip. Try to find a local dealer so you can handle it before ordering it online!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Originally posted by shaftk215:
Try to find a local dealer so you can handle it before ordering it online!
This is how we lose local dealers of any kind of goods. If you're going to go to a dealer to fondle the merchandise, then you owe it to the dealer to make a purchase from him, rather than the internet. Sure, it'll cost more, but fondling doesn't come cheap.

To do anything less is unethical and only hastens the demise of the little, local guy.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Car Knocker:
This is how we lose local dealers of any kind of goods. If you're going to go to a dealer to fondle the merchandise, then you owe it to the dealer to make a purchase from him, rather than the internet. Sure, it'll cost more, but fondling doesn't come cheap.

To do anything less is unethical and only hastens the demise of the little, local guy.
I'm not entirely sure I agree with your reasoning. I am all for free enterprise, but I feel no compelling need to purchase anything from anybody, just because I have "fondled" it. I believe it all comes down to value for your money. If dealer X has outrageous prices, why should I buy from him, just because I picked up a piece of merchandise to look at?

On the other hand, customer service means as much as reasonable prices. I will pay slightly more for an item, if I have received good customer service from a company. But if the company has high prices and poor service, they will never get my money, no matter how many "fondles" I wish to commit. I will however give them the opportunity to lower their price before I walk out the door, telling them that I can buy this same item cheaper elsewhere.

·
Registered
143 Posts
jdittamo,

It really depends on what you mean by "dazzle". While you wont find people convulsing and drooling after being beamed in the eyes, white light as a force option is a reality. As the ambient light in any given environment drops, a tactical light's effectiveness against people increases. Too often folks only focus on a light's characteristic as a target indicator. The end goal is to minimize the light's characteristic as a target indicator and maximize it's characteristic as a force tool.

If you ever have an opportunity to train with the excellent staff from the Surefire Institute, you will gain critical base-line experience on how to do both effectively. You will learn what proper use of white light can do to an opponent (and yourself) in force on force encounters.

As far as a recommendation for a smaller light, any of the 6V Surefires would work great, but I'm partial to the one I would most likely carry all the time- which is the E2. Until there is another manufacturer making a high-output 6V white light with a momentary-only button on the tailcap, I would stick with Surefire. We'll be restocking our Surefire line in a few months.

------------------
SKD Tactical Accessories
www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts