1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 6P for about $20 cheaper than for what the G2z was selling for.
I looked hard at the boxes and couldn't find a whole lot of differences between the two, other than the fact that one is aluminum, and the other is plastic. I thought it was a good deal, but then again maybe I missed something by not getting the G2z?
I am happy with my 6P, but now my wife wants a light. Actually two. One for the car, and one for her key chain. I don't think she'll go for a "ugly" plastic light, but she likes my 6P. So, I could get the G2z and let her have the 6P, or just get another 6P.
Ideas?
Also, any advice on a key-ring size light that is powerful, yet not cumbersome?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Light Options

Well, there are some alternatives. Wally World has a Brinkman MaxFire LX that sells for $ 19.97 that is real similar to the SureFire 6P. It's 45 Lumens versus the standard 60 lumens for a 6P. The Brinkman will accept the SureFire replacement reflector and bulb etc. if you want to change. In fact, you could buy the Brinkman and put in a SureFire P61 reflector/bulb (120 lumens) in it for a total of $ 45 versus about $ 56 plus shipping for a 6P from SureFire.... Just an option....

I have a little Browning LED for my keychain. It's pretty small and unobtrusive. I believe it was about $ 10. I think there are many that are about the same. It's simply a matter of taste and price...

Oh BTW, the Brinkman is not plastic. It an alloy covered in a nice rubber grip and is waterproof. You could always tell your wife it was more expensive than the SureFire. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Give her the 6P and get you a 9P or a C3 these are both 3-cell lights and much brighter and only a batteries length longer, and the aftermarket lights just IMO wont last as long or give you the reliability of a Surefire....Good Luck...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Don't overlook the G2.
It's the polymer version of the 6P.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys,
Lots of good ideas. I did some thread searching last night, but could find nothing definative. Some people like Surefire, others Streamlite, some Pelican....
I read a bit about the Surefire 9P, and I am interested. There is also a rechargible Streamlite (stinger?) that sounds great for the car/truck.
Perhapse a cheeper Brinkman for a back-up/spare?
There is a store where I live that has good prices on the 6P and G2Z Surefires and I have low interest charge account. I don't know if they could order a 9P, but it is possible. I wouldn't do so without more research, and few more testimonials.
I believe I can find basic G2's for a shade less than $40. I paid $44 for my 6P.
Give me the skinny, whats the better buy?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The G2, G2Z, and 6P are basically all the same flashlight. The only difference will be the casing aluminum or nitrolon. They use the same heads, filters, coversion kits. The G2Z has the combat grip and doesn't fit in some of the same holsters because it is bigger in diameter around the holding ring. So with that said it is treally up to personal preference on which one you chose. Surefire's are the best flashlights that money can buy. They have a lifetime warranty that they are very liberal with (but they still won't replace bulbs or batteries). All I buy now are Surefire flashlights and I have had a few that I use on a continous basis for 3 years now.
There are rechargeable Surefires that around the same price of the stingers and there are conversion kits to make other Surefires rechargeable. For rechargeable you might want to look at the Surefire 8NX Commander. Also for single cell flashlight there is the E1E that is very small but very bright but usually run around $70.

Hope this helps, good luck finding a light.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Halfkorean,
Hey, thanks. Your first post? Welcome to the Forum. I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
657 Posts
depends on the use

I currently have a 6p a 9p and an e2e and I really like them all. The 6p stays in the glove box with a spares carrier because I spend a great deal of time on the road. The 9p stays on the nightstand, it has the high output lamp in it so it’s up to 200 lumens. The e2e goes in my pocket when I’m heading out after dark.

Sorry I'm not much help but you wont be sorry whichever Surefire you decide on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts