1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any thoughts on surefire lights or other tactical lights , I just picked up a G2 Nitrolon and man is it bright, it will stay in the lock box with the house gun for those unpleasent vizitors, might get an extra for the ATV bag and at 34 bucks pretty afforable , I did try iit out on my dogs, they don't like it too much , even flashed myself once with it , Yes very bright ....

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have had one for a couple of years and am still on the first set of batteries. Don't use it a lot, but it is very bright!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have two G2s and like them very much. One, I keep handy on my nightstand and the other one is in my truck center console.

Also, Surefire seems to have a great warranty. I dropped one of my lights on a concrete floor and it permantly distorted the light beam. After one quick phone call, they sent me a replacement light bulb assembly FREE OF CHARGE.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I always carry a Surefire and I have several around the house. They eat batteries up fast but they sure are bright.

·
Banned
575 Posts
I picked up a Surefire E2e with the camo finish. An extremely nice little flashlight that I carry with me always. I did a review of it with some nice pics that you can see here:

Surefire E2e camo review

Methos

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a G2 for my truck and a Z2 combat light in my nightstand. They are remarkable lights. Incredible output and pretty reasonalble battery life.

I have found two things that you may appreciate. First, the G2 does not have a lock out on the button. I keep it in my truck console and if things get lodged against it, there go the batteries. Second, buy the batteries from Surefire by the dozen. They are $15/dozen, that's $1.25 each. I haven't seen them cheaper.

I'm giving an E2 Executive to my father-in-law for Xmas. I plan to get an E1 for my wife's car, and a P6 for my tool box. I guess you can tell, I think they are great.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have seen Led heads for these lights. What do they do for battery life, and how do they change the beam? What output heads are yall using? I want to purchase a taclight, but the number of choices is bewildering and i cant decide.

·
Registered
301 Posts
sawyer,

You can change the xenon light/reflector assembly in some lights for a LED head. The LED's give you much longer battery life, at a lower light output. This is not necessarily bad. I bought a red filter for my Z2 because during IDPA night matches, you blind yourself if you shine the Z2 on a scoring sheet. The red filter reduces the effect when doing close work.

I'd like to buy one called the Aviator. It is way expensive, but, it combines LED's with a xenon bulb/reflector. The LED's are for close work and the xenon gives you full illumation with a xenon bulb for distance work.

I re-read my earlier post and I forgot to mention that replacing the standard switch on my G2 with a lock-out switch cured the problem in my truck console.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I let my wife use my 6P, and then a couple days later asked her for it. She didn't know where it was! We searched high and low and no luck. I WAS CRUSHED. I made her promise to buy me a new one. That was over a month ago. Just this past Monday we were packing the car for christmas trip home, and there it was buried in her trunk! I was like a kid in a candy store!

Brian

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm also a big Surefire fan. I have a Z2 by the bed, two Executives for EDC (one each for wife & I) and an A2 Aviator for competition (low/no light IDPA scenarios). I can't say enough good things about the Aviator, the LEDs get used for brief directional stuff, the bright spotlight for the "final" illumination;)
I'm probably going to make the A2 my #1 go to light at home, it's very versatile. I got mine for $130, I think there are a few on-line purveyors who sell in that range. Well worth it, IMNSHO.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the G2 and its great. On several occasions it has been a comfort to have when all other light was not there. One evening a friend needed her tire changed and my buddy and I went out to change it well nobody had a flashlight but me. We I light it up and my buddy says "Wow! that thing is bright, lemme see it." So we change the tire and he said man Keelan I want one of those. So I orded him one this morning for Christmas. The major selling point is the 1 hour worth of battery run time and the price 34 bucks for a beam of light that goes every bit of 100 yards.

I am trying to get him into shooting, but its snowboarding season and he aint taking a notion to going shooting...Yet.

·
Registered
165 Posts
For a cheaper substitute check out the Brinkmann Legend Lithium Xenon at Walmart. It has the same output as the G2, is made of aluminum with a much better tailswitch and with two 123a batteries only costs $18.88

·
Registered
967 Posts
Can't say enough good about the Surefires. I have a G2 and a 6P, which was my initial SF purchase, and I've been nothing but satisfied. I plan on buying the lockout cap for the 6P as it's on the duty belt and I don't want any accidental discharges.

The future? I see an M-series coming soon as it's brighter and will soon feature a scalloped bezel that looks a bit like the TID attachment from GG&G. I'll also be getting that A2 Aviator, though I might simply replace the bezel of my 6P with an LED head so I can work in low-light without wearing out my batteries too quickly.

Say what you will about the other brands, but I doubt you'll see anything that's really of the same quality as a Surefire. I hope, but I doubt.

·
Registered
396 Posts
While the G2 does not have a lock out tail switch, you can unscrew the head a little bit and this disables the light. That way if you accidently put pressure on the switch the light will stay off. The G2 has a lexan lens and if the light is left on it could melt the lens under certain conditions.

Try the P61 lamp for a real blast of light

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wife stole my G2

Can you believe that crap i had it 1 day she said " I like this , go get yourself another one or the next higher up one" . well now i have to shop for another one , prefer the sub 100 buck range , suggestions?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I keep a G2 in my truck and a P6 on my duty belt. They are fantastic flashlights.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
duty?

A clevelander huh , you Cleveland cop? ahhh my old days living out in the burbs of the "Mistake by the Lake "

·
Registered
687 Posts
Staying under $100, you could get the Z2, which has a plastic body and a lanyard ( two batteries) for around $50-60 range.
There are a couple of variations of Executives out there in the same rough price range as the Z2. There are more I'm sure, I just havn't looked at the line up since I bought my Aviator.
I like the way the LED units perform, really a battery saver.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts