1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
This was a battery, not a flashlight issue. CR123 batteries if not vented on the top can do this. This is why Surefire strongly recommends the use of their batteries with the two vent holes on the top.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Wow! Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Agreed battery issue. Notice the OP said he was sitting in a chair with his duty belt on. More then likely he was pushing on the switch while sitting down and the batteries overheated.

I've never seen this in person but I know several people who have had this happen to them.

·
Banned
140 Posts
A lithium battery issue for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if a rep from surefire called him shortly after that was posted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep definitely a battery issue.

Did not mean to bring any negative light onto surefire products. There stuff rocks, and I hope to get one of their lights for my sig 229 soon!

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
This was a battery, not a flashlight issue. CR123 batteries if not vented on the top can do this. This is why Surefire strongly recommends the use of their batteries with the two vent holes on the top.
Good to know. I have a C2 and an M3. Carry one in my jacket pocket
all the time. Hate to see this happen to me on a crowded subway:eek:

Their batteries have a 10 year shelf life, never really though about buying
a different brand. Think I'll stick with works. Damn that was nasty!

·
Registered
752 Posts
To quote one of the responses on the ar15.com site:

...Glad I buy Fenix flashlights...
:biglaugh:

Definitely a lithium battery issue.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts

Wow, I never knew that! I hated buying their more expensive batteries but I'm glad I did now. :D

I just looked at them. I never noticed the vents!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Wow. Agreed on the battery issue as well. I had a co-worker that had a Scorpion that heated up and caused some damage due to a battery issue, but didn't go Boom.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
That one went off like a umm... canchinflin /silbador... :scratch::scratch:

I dont think there's a translation for those, it's like firecrackers that dont explode, they just fly in crazy directions making a loud whistle.... bah, i'll google a pic:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yup. I use the same batts every day at work and have had several do bad things. I've had a couple of them blow up, thankfully encased in soft plastic with weak latches instead of in a tightly sealed metal housing. I've had them sizzle up and get all melty looking, and I've had a few start small fires.

We had one tech that had one light up in his pocket while on a job and had to strip his pants off in front of some shocked old lady.

We've recently switched to vented top batts as well to try to avoid these issues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts